Dreger: Flames looking for 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Do CGY fans think any of their defensemen are on the table for a package including the Leafs 1st (25 OA). I know CGY - TOR for a dman has been discussed a lot, but Im curious if this info makes it seem more like they might move one of their dmen.

I didnt watch much of CGY this past year and I have heard that Brodie struggled, but I am a huge fan of his.

Edit: Before getting jumped on, the 25th is just a starting point depending on what is most available.

Reactions: Signature

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They should just trade their last few later picks for a 3rd next year and hit the beach for the weekend.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why is CGY so desperate for a 1st? Move one of their D prospects/rostered Dmen for a top 6 F, they need F depth now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Why is CGY so desperate for a 1st? Move one of their D prospects/rostered Dmen for a top 6 F, they need F depth now.

They aren't desperate for a 1st. They traded 1sts for D help now (Hamonic and Hamilton).

I'd agree with you. If anything, the Flames make a move for a top 6 RW. The age structure of their core can't wait another 2-3 years for help. They want the help now.

The Flames have a log jam at 4-6 defence, so they are probably dangling guys like Stone. However, the idea that they "need" a 1st round pick and would move a key piece like Hamilton is absurd. Unless something has gone on behind the scenes, with Hamilton requesting out, I don't see it. He's their future #1 dman.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Flames are ostensibly supposed to be exiting their rebuild. Getting a 1st round pick would be great, but if it comes at the cost of a significant roster player I don't feel it's all that worth it. The priority should be adding to the 2018-19 team rather than buying scratch tickets that may start to contribute two three years from now.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If Fox would agree to sign today with Detroit, i'd part with 30th

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No playoffs and no draft picks until round 4. Wow

That's why they fired Burke I guess.

Burke didn't make those calls. The Flames also have Hamilton and Hamonic to show for their pics. The odds of drafting a player like Hamilton with any of the Flames pics they traded are very very low. Hamonic is a minor disappointment (although far from a bust) but overall the asset management and drafting has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad