GDT: Flames @ Jets 6pm

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Not taking away from the players in our team, but it was clear as day watching the game the Jets were holding back. Just going slow, getting their legs back. I think the players probably just didn't really want to play too hard against the roster we had

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I actually think he'd look better on a line with Bennett & Jankowski.

Kind of like a very very sheltered scoring line.

Hate to rain on parades... Okay you busted me I do like raining on parades. Dube is a great prospect but he isn't even the most NHL ready player in the line-up last night. That said I don't believe any of the forward prospects will make the team.

Gawdin has quietly put up a very respectable camp being the most capable of playing a 200 foot game and likely the most NHL ready player in the AHL. Unlike Dube's stacked line Gawdin had Pollock and Shaw.

Foo has moved forwards leaps and bounds since the beginning of last season. His defensive zone play is vastly improved and will likely be the first call up if there is an injury.

Dube's speed is amazing and his offensive play is very very impressive but in his own end he is often out of position. Cail MacLean will make it so next year there is no doubt Dube will be in the opening night lineup for the Flames.

FYI I like how Cail MacLean has these guys playing. I foresee great improvement in all the forwards in the AHL.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If Dube is sent to the AHL for Glenn Gawdin or Spencer Foo I would be fine with ownership firing Peters/Treliving on the spot.

That would be an amazingly stupid decision. Not mention having them ahead of a guy like Lazar as well.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The probability is that all three will end up in the AHL to start the season. Well, after they play 9 games here. All have benefited (Dube less so) from their time there and they will continue to benefit with some more time there.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The probability is that all three will end up in the AHL to start the season. Well, after they play 9 games here. All have benefited (Dube less so) from their time there and they will continue to benefit with some more time there.

I can't see any reason for Gawdin or Foo to spend a minute in the NHL.

Dube should be on the team but NHL teams usually take the most conservative approach possible here so there is a good chance he is sent to the AHL so we can get superstar Anthony Peluso in there to provide non-existent "toughness."

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Both Foo and Mangiapane have been better defensively than Dube so far this pre-season. Foo in particular had a great game yesterday while Mangiapane has been solid throughout even if he hasn't been as noticeable as Dube offensively.

One of these guys should be getting that open fourth line spot. Lazar and Hathaway should be the 13th and 14th forwards. Or maybe Quine instead of Lazar. The rest can easily be waived or cut.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I actually think he'd look better on a line with Bennett & Jankowski.

Kind of like a very very sheltered scoring line.
I disagree. For someone that is just barely getting NHL time, it would be ideal to get Dube some line mates that have experience.

1: Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm/Neal
2: Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal/Lindholm
3A: Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik
3B: Dube - Ryan - Frolik

You could even slot in Mangiapane where Dube is.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I disagree. For someone that is just barely getting NHL time, it would be ideal to get Dube some line mates that have experience.

1: Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm/Neal
2: Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal/Lindholm
3A: Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik
3B: Dube - Ryan - Frolik

You could even slot in Mangiapane where Dube is.
Your logic regarding Dube, can also apply to Czarnik.

I would actually prefer to see something like this in the bottom 6.

Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Dube - Jankowski - Frolik

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames are playing Czarnik on the 2nd line tonight and on a pp unit. I think they feel he can be more than bottom 6. It will be fun to find out!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Your logic regarding Dube, can also apply to Czarnik.

I would actually prefer to see something like this in the bottom 6.

Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Dube - Jankowski - Frolik

We can juggle bottom 6 all day, we can assume that this has to be a top 3 bottom 6 in the league. We may not have a top 10 top 6, but he bottom 6 probably helps us have an above average forward group

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Both Foo and Mangiapane have been better defensively than Dube so far this pre-season. Foo in particular had a great game yesterday while Mangiapane has been solid throughout even if he hasn't been as noticeable as Dube offensively.

One of these guys should be getting that open fourth line spot. Lazar and Hathaway should be the 13th and 14th forwards. Or maybe Quine instead of Lazar. The rest can easily be waived or cut.

I think Dube is a much better defensive player, he has just taken more of an offensive role this pre-season. Foo and Mangi are both older/have played pro hockey though so the notion of them being better defensively isn't surprising.

Reactions: snipetype

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think Dube is a much better defensive player, he has just taken more of an offensive role this pre-season. Foo and Mangi are both older/have played pro hockey though so the notion of them being better defensively isn't surprising.

Mango was also getting held underwater by Huska defensively the last few years, I remember him getting something like 30 percent offensive zone starts, i.e. he's had a lot more opportunities to work on that side of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->