Proposal: Flames & Jackets

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Goalies don’t have that sort of value, especially UFA ones. Flames aren’t moving Andersson either. His name and Valimakis have been brought up by other teams before, the answer from the Flames has always been “not interested.”

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Too many moving parts. Can just sign Bob in the off season and he's the best piece.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A goalie swap that doesn't do much for us and one of our more effective scoring wingers for a blueliner we don't need (because we don't need blueliners, full stop) and a 1st.

I'm not seeing the value for the Jackets here.
Bob has asked for a trade and is an upcoming UFA. You're getting a first, a solid young defender, and a prospect for a player that is about to walk for nothing.

It's a massive overpayment by the Flames.

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We don’t have the cap room to go after a goalie like that

Personally I think Smith will get out of his funk.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
A goalie swap that doesn't do much for us and one of our more effective scoring wingers for a blueliner we don't need (because we don't need blueliners, full stop) and a 1st.

I'm not seeing the value for the Jackets here.
Why doesn't Mike Smith do anything for us in this deal? Though he wouldn't be starting here, he's been a starter for a while, and only has one year left. Korpi becomes the #1 and Smith fills in.

Seems Flames fans don't want Andersson in the deal. We don't really want to trade Josh, so let's just take them both out. Still would like more than Smith 1st and Foo. Not sure how much of a fit Foo is because we're pretty deep at RW. Not familiar enough with Calgary to know what to put in place of him that would fit our needs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bob has asked for a trade and is an upcoming UFA. You're getting a first, a solid young defender, and a prospect for a player that is about to walk for nothing.

If you look carefully, you just might notice that nowhere in my post did I say anything at all even slightly like this being good for the Flames. "Bad for us" != "good for the other guy".

* * *​
Why doesn't Mike Smith do anything for us in this deal? Though he wouldn't be starting here, he's been a starter for a while, and only has one year left. Korpi becomes the #1 and Smith fills in.

Why bother with the swap at all, then? That's why I described it as not doing much for us.

Seems Flames fans don't want Andersson in the deal. We don't really want to trade Josh, so let's just take them both out. Still would like more than Smith 1st and Foo. Not sure how much of a fit Foo is because we're pretty deep at RW. Not familiar enough with Calgary to know what to put in place of him that would fit our needs.
I considered that, but I'm pretty sure having Josh Anderson in the deal is a large part of the point - there's a few Flames fans who are obsessed with acquiring him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Bob didn't ask for a trade. And the most valuable piece on either side of the deal is Josh Anderson (which is why Columbus says no).

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Not at the cost of Anderson. And like I said, I'm pretty sure that's the objective of the deal for the OP.
To be fair, it did seem like you were asking for my reasons for making the swap sans-Anderson like I was proposing.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
theres no point in losing anderson for assets and trading bob for a worst goalie. the jackets aren't looking to get worse this year at all. the only way I can see the the trade smith/bob working is if they also involve monahan. which is probably the only player columbus could actually want. I also think jarmo want to keep bob this season over just trading for future assets.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Goalies don’t have that sort of value, especially UFA ones. Flames aren’t moving Andersson either. His name and Valimakis have been brought up by other teams before, the answer from the Flames has always been “not interested.”

Ehh but they are also kind of over rated, at least Valimaki is. I get they don't want to move him because he is so young and in the NHL but that's about as far as it goes. Current play is nothing to be defensive about. Last night the Leafs played their worst game of the season and still made a fool of him multiple times.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bob didn't ask for a trade. And the most valuable piece on either side of the deal is Josh Anderson (which is why Columbus says no).

The Flames don't need Josh Anderson.

Yes, he's off to a hot start, but the whole Columbus team is offensively. Anderson just wouldn't do as well in Calgary. Anderson, Bobrovsky, and the 1st round pick are all more valuable pieces.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ehh but they are also kind of over rated, at least Valimaki is. I get they don't want to move him because he is so young and in the NHL but that's about as far as it goes. Current play is nothing to be defensive about. Last night the Leafs played their worst game of the season and still made a fool of him multiple times.

Andersson is still a rookie, so his games are inconsistent, which is to be expected. He looks like he has top 4 potential. Young top 4 d-men that are cost controlled are very valuable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

lol.
Valimaki had one bad turnover in the Leafs game. Guy's still a positive difference maker; a guy who plays the PK and looks dangerous most nights. Easy to remember the guy's 20 years old; playing at a high level. You've watched a single game (surprising it was against your team!) to pass judgement. Hence why it's difficult to take others' opinions of Calgary seriously on this board. It's strange we live in a world where Edmonton fans defend our players the most because they watch them the most :laugh:

Andersson's played on the top pairing this year. Nuff said. AHL all-star who can step up if needed. You don't trade that.

Reactions: CF84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad