Flames ink Yelesin

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Brodie and hamonic are probably on their last year as a flames...traded, fa or Seattle

The flames probably sold yelesin that ..do good one year and you are in the nhl..we have room
In what world do the Flames accept losing two top 4 D? If anything one of Brodie or Hamonic is gone but at least one should be here.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In what world do the Flames accept losing two top 4 D? If anything one of Brodie or Hamonic is gone but at least one should be here.
They can only protect 3 dmen for the expansion draft?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
They can only protect 3 dmen for the expansion draft?
So then they re-sign either D-man and let Seattle have a crack at which of the available d-men they want? Why trade one knowing that we're going to lose the other like, right after.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Kylington
Valimaki - Yelesin

or whatever is not a good d-set up.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The expansion draft is in 2021. By then Gio will be 37 (turning 38 in October). I wouldn't be surprised to see him left unprotected if it came to a choice of protecting Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, and Kylington.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The expansion draft is in 2021. By then Gio will be 37 (turning 38 in October). I wouldn't be surprised to see him left unprotected if it came to a choice of protecting Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, and Kylington.

Yup but this scenario still has no room for Hamonic or Brodie....I think they will be gone for forward help

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Yup but this scenario still has no room for Hamonic or Brodie....I think they will be gone for forward help
How does this not leave room for Hamonic or Brodie? One of them might get traded for forward help but we have more desirable guys on the left side compared to Hamonic.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How does this not leave room for Hamonic or Brodie? One of them might get traded for forward help but we have more desirable guys on the left side compared to Hamonic.

If they can only protect 3 and they want to protect the 4 young dmen, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, and Kylington.

How do they keep Brodie or Hamonic in that case unless Seattle dont want them?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
If they can only protect 3 and they want to protect the 4 young dmen, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, and Kylington.

How do they keep Brodie or Hamonic in that case unless Seattle dont want them?
barring any changes through trades or free agency that brings in d-men capable of playing on the right side, we hang on to both Brodie and Hamonic, and then they take one and we keep the other. Either that or we take Kylington and our right side still looks set and we have Gio, Hanifin, and Valimaki on the right side.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
barring any changes through trades or free agency that brings in d-men capable of playing on the right side, we hang on to both Brodie and Hamonic, and then they take one and we keep the other. Either that or we take Kylington and our right side still looks set and we have Gio, Hanifin, and Valimaki on the right side.

They need to upgrade, pretty sure Brodie is gone if someone willing to pay for him. Hamonic wants to stay close to home so that may be the reason they hang on to him but I prefer to keep the young dmen over him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not sure why the expansion draft is repeatedly brought up with regards to Brodie & Hamonic. Both are free agents in 2020. Expansion draft is 2021. They could both be gone before then, they could both be re-signed before then, or one leaves, one stays.

Secondly, basic math: if the Flames have seven good defencemen and lose one to the Seattle Coffee Cups, they'll still have six afterwards. On the other hand, if they go into it with six, they might leave with five. And so on and so forth. So which is a better aftermath, six good defencemen or five?

Unless Giordano waives his NMC, he's ineligible for the expansion draft and is a mandatory protection.
It's a NTC (actually becomes a modified NTC after next season - "Lists 19 teams he can be traded to").

Flames don't have any NMC's.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why the expansion draft is repeatedly brought up with regards to Brodie & Hamonic. Both are free agents in 2020. Expansion draft is 2021. They could both be gone before then, they could both be re-signed before then, or one leaves, one stays.

Secondly, basic math: if the Flames have seven good defencemen and lose one to the Seattle Coffee Cups, they'll still have six afterwards. On the other hand, if they go into it with six, they might leave with five. And so on and so forth. So which is a better aftermath, six good defencemen or five?

Whatever the Flames are doing from now on, expansion draft has to be part of the consideration so they can minimize the loss.

It's not that straight forward of losing one keep five or sixth or whatever....it's more of who you do not want to lose and how do you maximize your team going into the draft. Nobody wants to be the next Florida

Anyway nothing fans can speculate this far out so I agree, let not waste time discussing it lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Whatever the Flames are doing from now on, expansion draft has to be part of the consideration so they can minimize the loss.

It's not that straight forward of losing one keep five or sixth or whatever....it's more of who you do not want to lose and how do you maximize your team going into the draft. Nobody wants to be the next Florida

Anyway nothing fans can speculate this far out so I agree, let not waste time discussing it lol

The only way to go full Florida is to pay Seattle roster players to take someone.

Washington placed both Grubauer and Schmidt in front of Vegas and were OK with whoever Vegas took even if it would sting. They turned out fine.

Assuming the projections go as intended and we protect Valimaki, Andersson and Hanifin in a 7/3 scenario instead of a 4/4... that exposes Gio, Kylington and maybe one of Hamonic/Brodie if re-signed. I think it's pretty damn obvious that we shouldn't worry about Kylington in that situation unless it's obvious Gio would just spend a little time in Seattle then waltz back to the Flames afterwards. That's not even discussing whether we'd have forward talent worth being in the discussion for drafting over the dmen. While I understand the premise of worrying about losing a good player, I wouldn't worry too much about adding more talent unless it's talent we'd have to obviously expose that's worth considering over Gio. Even then, Treliving would have the flexibility in shuffling the protection card and trading excess talents to other teams for reasonable returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->