GDT: Flames in Dallas: the Solar Bowl. 6:30 MT on SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I find it hilarious when people draw conclusions at the start of the season.

The hockey is ugly. People are not in a groove. Systems are not being implemented properly. It doesn’t show what teams will become. Edmonton is probably going to suck. The Sharks will probably be good.

It takes about 20 games before the cream starts to rise to the top. Happens every year.

Remember when Ottawa was really good at the start of last season?

Reactions: Mobiandi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just throwing on more praise for Monahan, what 5 shots last game? Thought he has had a lot more chances so far, in part by his better game each game so far. If he keeps this up all season I will be impressed and he certainly will surpass last year numbers. Might actually hit 50 goals this year.

Johnny has also been much more responsible so far this year, points will always come to him as he carries a lot of our play but just much more impressed on him actually taking defense seriously.

Only person I worry about is Lindholm, I feel playing him on the PK again is going to wear him out like last season. Not a fan despite how good he is on it. Otherwise, he is a stud.
I think you have a good point about Lindholm. No need to play Lindholm when we have Doc, Rieder, Backlund, and Janko for PP duty.

Reactions: Shawnofthedeadz

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I find it hilarious when people draw conclusions at the start of the season.

The hockey is ugly. People are not in a groove. Systems are not being implemented properly. It doesn’t show what teams will become. Edmonton is probably going to suck. The Sharks will probably be good.

It takes about 20 games before the cream starts to rise to the top. Happens every year.

Remember when Ottawa was really good at the start of last season?

There was also that terribad team at the start of last year too. What were they called....oh yeah, the Blues.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If I counted correctly, Flames have been shorthanded 32min 13s so thats around 8min 3s per game. Of course getting a penalty for 2minutes, and then opponent scoring in 10 seconds or 1min 50 seconds is essentially the same result, so this doesnt mean anything really. Or opposing team getting a penalty 1min after Flames penalty. I guess some kind of expected PK time calculation would be needed, to make difference between what "lot / few penalties" and "good / bad PK" can make.
I don't know how many minutes, but we have been short handed 18 times, 3rd highest total in the league. Just as bad as the quantity though, is the timing, we are putting ourselves behind the eightball early and often, or when the game is on the line. The only game with fewer than 4 PPs against, was LA where we took a penalty in the final minute to give them a PP in OT and set them up for the win.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Penalty trouble has also been concerning as well.

I think Bennett-Ryan-Frolik is the best bet for the third line at this point, but our fourth line is REALLY weak in this case, and lucic-jankowski is screaming disaster. Either way, things cannot stick as is much longer.
At least with Bennett - Ryan - Frolik we can shelter Lucic - Jankowski - Reider/Czarnik some and keep them for energy. I also think it's early on enough in the season we can take a risk and see if Lucic and Jankowski have some chemistry and can run the cycle game together, since that plays into their strengths. All things considered for me it's a crime if Frolik is still on the 4th line for tomorrow with Lucic on the 3rd.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
At least with Bennett - Ryan - Frolik we can shelter Lucic - Jankowski - Reider/Czarnik some and keep them for energy. I also think it's early on enough in the season we can take a risk and see if Lucic and Jankowski have some chemistry and can run the cycle game together, since that plays into their strengths. All things considered for me it's a crime if Frolik is still on the 4th line for tomorrow with Lucic on the 3rd.

Has this been confirmed?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Has this been confirmed?
It hasn't been confirmed, I was saying if that's the case I will be a bit upset. I like the ides of pairs in the top 6 but if Peters sticks with it for Lucic and gives him minutes he doesn't deserve...

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It hasn't been confirmed, I was saying if that's the case I will be a bit upset. I like the ides of pairs in the top 6 but if Peters sticks with it for Lucic and gives him minutes he doesn't deserve...

Don’t like the whole thing surrounding that either. Peters saying that he wanted to give him a lot of minutes seems weird. If he’s playing a lot against Vegas of all teams...

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Don’t like the whole thing surrounding that either. Peters saying that he wanted to give him a lot of minutes seems weird. If he’s playing a lot against Vegas of all teams...
If anything I'd expect him to want Lucic to play less minutes to get used to the systems, raise his confidence, whatever. It gets me a bit more cheesed with how reluctant he was to give Neal a chance later on in the year (and presumably held that opinion over the summer, necessitating the trade), but will give Lucic a big opportunity. Seeing Lucic on after the PK's recently has got me right f***ed up.

I can't imagine playing Lucic hardly any minutes against a team like Vegas who plays fast, but stranger things have happened. If only we had a fast player on our 4th line and a speedy player on the bench... oh wait...

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If anything I'd expect him to want Lucic to play less minutes to get used to the systems, raise his confidence, whatever. It gets me a bit more cheesed with how reluctant he was to give Neal a chance later on in the year (and presumably held that opinion over the summer, necessitating the trade), but will give Lucic a big opportunity. Seeing Lucic on after the PK's recently has got me right ****ed up.

I can't imagine playing Lucic hardly any minutes against a team like Vegas who plays fast, but stranger things have happened. If only we had a fast player on our 4th line and a speedy player on the bench... oh wait...

Unfortunately, one of those players make 5.25 million while another makes 1.25 million.

Guess who plays the games regardless of merit...

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Unfortunately, one of those players make 5.25 million while another makes 1.25 million.

Guess who plays the games regardless of merit...
Yup. Wish we had the guts to keep Lucic in the role of injury call-up. Picture this, instead of

Lucic - Ryan - Bennett
Rieder - Jankowski - Frolik

We had something like...

Dube - Ryan - Frolik
Bennett - Jankwoski - Czarnik

But the dollar speaks more than the play.

Reactions: super6646
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad