GDT: Flames @ Hawks, 6:30 PM MT, Jan 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
There is likely an angry Tampa/Boston team waiting if we miraculously make it to the finals this year. Our team would get bullied unless Riitch turned in to J.S. Giguere for the last two rounds.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There is likely an angry Tampa/Boston team waiting if we miraculously make it to the finals this year. Our team would get bullied unless Riitch turned in to J.S. Giguere for the last two rounds.
It's not about winning the Cup. It's about sending a message.

Or something.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mange
Bennett-Backlund-Ryan
Lucic-Reider-Whoever

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Brodie
Kylington-Hammer

Ideal lines coming to fruition. Wouldn’t mind seeing Gawdin on that 4th line RW for a few games

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Mange hasn't been impressing recently as he used to earlier in this season. Doesn't belong up with Tkachuk and Lindholm for now. Not sure who should take his spot, maybe someone from the third line? Assuming the lines seen in the third carry on into the next game (which I wouldn't mind, other than Rieder coming in for Rinaldo) we end up with Mangiapane on the fourth while Bennett Backlund and Ryan make up the third with Lucic with whatever line Tkachuk and Lindholm are considered.

Whichever line Gaudreau was on hasn't been preforming though, tbh. I don't get it. It feels like the other team has such an easy breakout whenever he gets out there while he and Monahan are overpassing. Something has to get figured out with those two because every other line was able to maintain some good zone pressure while Gaudreau's line never could.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This was the first time in a long time that we haven't leaked quality chances all game long. We got some timely scoring and played a controlled game, and realistically should have extended our lead significantly. Nice game.

Reactions: Janks and Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Mange hasn't been impressing recently as he used to earlier in this season. Doesn't belong up with Tkachuk and Lindholm for now. Not sure who should take his spot, maybe someone from the third line? Assuming the lines seen in the third carry on into the next game (which I wouldn't mind, other than Rieder coming in for Rinaldo) we end up with Mangiapane on the fourth while Bennett Backlund and Ryan make up the third with Lucic with whatever line Tkachuk and Lindholm are considered.

Whichever line Gaudreau was on hasn't been preforming though, tbh. I don't get it. It feels like the other team has such an easy breakout whenever he gets out there while he and Monahan are overpassing. Something has to get figured out with those two because every other line was able to maintain some good zone pressure while Gaudreau's line never could.
What? I thought Gaudreau had a good game, Backlund was horribad and killed that line tonight. He had 5 Shots which led the team and that doesn't include the backhand he fired wide early in the game after burning the Chicago defender.

Reactions: Mazatt and Mobiandi

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What? I thought Gaudreau had a good game, Backlund was horribad and killed that line tonight. He had 5 Shots which led the team and that doesn't include the backhand he fired wide early in the game after burning the Chicago defender.
Yeah Johnny is still our best playmaker even when he is struggling with.

Backlund has been useless this year. Something is wrong with him.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving built a forward group without any right shots. It's noticeable each game with regards to shooting positions and carrying the puck out of our zone on the off wing. It is very noticeable with Backlund. Johnny and Mony need a true RW shooter with them. At this point I would try Ryan there and move Backlund to the Dube/Lucic line.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah Johnny is still our best playmaker even when he is struggling with.

Backlund has been useless this year. Something is wrong with him.

He needs more mesh.

But in all seriousness you're right.

Treliving built a forward group without any right shots. It's noticeable each game with regards to shooting positions and carrying the puck out of our zone on the off wing. It is very noticeable with Backlund. Johnny and Mony need a true RW shooter with them. At this point I would try Ryan there and move Backlund to the Dube/Lucic line.

Ryan would be a nice add to the line I think. Underrated shot, and can split the C duties with Monahan like Lindholm did.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Flames played a 9/10 road game but it's another one where they couldn't score much with Talbot in net. I think he should get the next few starts (except Edmonton) but it's a little concerning when he gets such poor offensive support. You don't win much in this league with 2 goals

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He also inherited a roster that was all left handed besides goons

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Its still early, but the team is 11-5-1 with Lindy at centre. Having 2 guys capable of 65 pts down the middle actually makes our centre depth look really good (if it continues), and Derek Ryan is also solid as usual. I've liked the Tkachuk-Lindy pairing, and Gaudreau-Monahan will always be a thing. We still need at least 1 more top 6 threat (ideally a rhs) to balance out the lines however.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Tkachuk-Lindholm-New RW
Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik/Reider

Not perfect, but I think its suitable enough to at least made us a somewhat serious threat to go deep.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Its still early, but the team is 11-5-1 with Lindy at centre. Having 2 guys capable of 65 pts down the middle actually makes our centre depth look really good (if it continues), and Derek Ryan is also solid as usual. I've liked the Tkachuk-Lindy pairing, and Gaudreau-Monahan will always be a thing. We still need at least 1 more top 6 threat (ideally a rhs) to balance out the lines however.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Tkachuk-Lindholm-New RW
Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik/Reider

Not perfect, but I think its suitable enough to at least made us a somewhat serious threat to go deep.

Craig Smith or Pageau would fit there nicely, both are pending UFAs though

A guy like Palmieri or Gallagher would be ideal but I doubt either are available. Same goes for Josh Anderson, Columbus shouldn’t sell low on him

Maybe Armia could be pulled out of Montreal? The likely answer is Toffoli. Both are marginal upgrades at best. There are no Mark Stones out there this year, really

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Personally, I didn't notice him much beyond some plays where he was able to drive into the zone and get a shot off, but idk. I think there were some shifts thinking back where he helped apply sustained zone pressure, specifically one where he was behind the net controlling the puck. I think not noticing him could also be because of his linemates. Monahan has been good, and Gaudreau specifically has gotten back on the backcheck to help with the play a few times while Backlund is more unnoticeable than anything, compared to Gaudreau who makes good and bad plays in a game.

I'm glad Backlund ended up on the third line yesterday. Something is wrong with him right now and continuing to play him in our top 6 hurts our chances to win when we have better preforming forwards elsewhere in the lineup.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Backs had another subpar game but there are a few reasons I'd keep him up on the top line

- He's a necessary defensive presence for Gaudreau and Monahan who give their all on that side of the ice whenever they feel like it.
- This informs point #2 in that it's either him or Lindholm and I'd rather see Lindholm center his own line for the future of this team
- He's deceptively fast and creates a lot of chances with his speed that Gaudreau and Monahan (and Lindholm for that matter) can't.
- I have a feeling the dam will burst eventually in the second half of the season just like it did last year. Although it might come after he gets some rest (bye week can't come fast enough)

Dube's had a couple of strong games but it came after 10 where he was completely MIA and I don't think he's evasive enough yet for top pairing guys. I'd consider Bennett up there as a revolving center just because he's always had strong chemistry with Gaudreau and is highly dependable on the defensive side of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad