Proposal: Flames / Flyers

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
As a Flyers fan, I'm not sure what Calgary is planning to do when it comes to rebuilding or re-tooling...

To Calgary:
Wayne Simmonds + Flyers 1st + Morin or Myers

To Flyers:
Dougie Hamilton

Reasoning:
Calgary losses a good defenseman but the wait time for a replacement can be significantly reduced. Morin is more than likely on an NHL roster to start next season, and Myers will probably be ready by the next trade deadline. Simmonds upgrades your top 6 and the Flyers 1st can be used to help move up in the draft. The Flyers finally add a quality veteran defenseman that also fits with their youth. Manning comes off the books after this season, and this move will also force MacDonald out of the lineup next season. Hamilton will also provide a significant upgrade for our younger guys to be paired with.

Thoughts?

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
How about:

LH/LD - TJ Brodie (Modified NTC, 8 team no trade list)
for
RH/RW - Wayne Simmonds (Modified NTC, 10 team no trade list).
Simmonds is 2 years older, Cap Hit is $675k less, Actual Salary is $350k more, and his contract expires after next season.
Like Brodie, his point production has dropped from 3 seasons ago (60, 54, 46 vs 45, 36, 32).
I'm not sure how much his ask will be as a 30 year old UFA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As a Flyers fan, I'm not sure what Calgary is planning to do when it comes to rebuilding or re-tooling...

To Calgary:

To Flyers:
Dougie Hamilton

Reasoning:
Calgary losses a good defenseman but the wait time for a replacement can be significantly reduced. Morin is more than likely on an NHL roster to start next season, and Myers will probably be ready by the next trade deadline. Simmonds upgrades your top 6 and the Flyers 1st can be used to help move up in the draft. The Flyers finally add a quality veteran defenseman that also fits with their youth. Manning comes off the books after this season, and this move will also force MacDonald out of the lineup next season. Hamilton will also provide a significant upgrade for our younger guys to be paired with.

Thoughts?

I'd do Simmonds + Morin + Flyers 1st

for

Hamilton + 2nd

Not getting Simmonds AND Myers in that deal though.

Would also swap out Morin for Gudas if you wanted a more NHL proven right-handed dmen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about:

for
Simmonds is 2 years older, Cap Hit is $675k less, Actual Salary is $350k more, and his contract expires after next season.
Like Brodie, his point production has dropped from 3 seasons ago (60, 54, 46 vs 45, 36, 32).

The Flyers have no need for a LH/LD

Provorov is 1LD
Sanheim is 2LD
Morin should be 3LD next season

Ghost can also play LD if need-be as he is a lefty.

Would only have interest in Flames dmen that can play the right.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Provorov is 1LD
Sanheim is 2LD

This is the correct answer.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I'd do Simmonds + Morin + Flyers 1st

for

Hamilton + 2nd

Not getting Simmonds AND Myers in that deal though.

Would also swap out Morin for Gudas if you wanted a more NHL proven right-handed dmen.

zero chance flames move dougie hamilton for a draft pick and a declining wayne simmonds. That doesn't make our team better. I wouldn't mind wayne simmonds for TJ Brodie since wayne is a right shot, but even that I would be a little leary on because of simmonds age, and the fact he only has one year left

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Provorov is 1LD
Sanheim is 2LD

Not that I am arguing your point here, but just to add some clarification ;

Brodie's best hockey of his career has come when he has played on his "off side"

Glen Gulutzen's insistence on playing Brodie on the left side is arguably the biggest reason for his struggles the past two seasons. It's very obvious to anyone who has watched Brodie consistently that he is better on the right side.

Brodie's ability to transition the puck off his back hand is in my opinion his best asset and is really unparalleled around the league.

Brodie next to Provorov would be absolutely dynamic.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not that I am arguing your point here, but just to add some clarification ;

Brodie's best hockey of his career has come when he has played on his "off side"

Glen Gulutzen's insistence on playing Brodie on the left side is arguably the biggest reason for his struggles the past two seasons. It's very obvious to anyone who has watched Brodie consistently that he is better on the right side.

Brodie's ability to transition the puck off his back hand is in my opinion his best asset and is really unparalleled around the league.

Brodie next to Provorov would be absolutely dynamic.

Not to knock Brodie, but I doubt he'd dislodge Ghost on that pair. That Provorov Ghost pairing absolutely dominated games.

Brodie would likely play next to Sanheim next year on the second unit, assuming that we can our moronic coach who has an insistence on play Macdonald above his level. That would leave Myers, Hagg, Gudas, and MacDonald fighting it out for the bottom pair and seventh. We'd likely need to send Gudas back, or at the very least, somewhere else, first.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

To Calgary:

To Flyers:
Dougie Hamilton

Reasoning:

Thoughts?
Zero chance. Hamilton will only be moved for a younger 1st line forward that has years of team control left (or is signed for as long as he is)

How about:

for
I would actually entertain this.

Provorov is 1LD
Sanheim is 2LD

Brodie has spent most of his career on the right side and one of his best assets is his deep backhand two-line pass.

Also, I have suggested this before, so I will again.

To Philly:
- Sam Bennett & Micheal Ferland
To Calgary:
- Wayne Simmonds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->