Proposal: Flames / Flyers

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Elite 1st line winger is definitely better than a first line winger.
1b/2C is much better than a 3rd line LW, which is what i was told on here from Calgary fans would project Bennett as these days.

Flyers have plenty of prospects coming up that could fill that role. We only have one - Frost - Who could potentially fill Patrick's. It's a bad fit for the organization's future unless Gaudreau can make a routine out of carrying 3rd liners to 60 point seasons, which, while he's good, i'm not sure he's that good.

What about the other option? Would you trade Simmonds Patrick and Frost for them?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What about the other option? Would you trade Simmonds Patrick and Frost for them?

Probably Not. Then we reallyt have no 2C options. Flyers arent quite in a position yet to make major moves. If we did, one of the major pieces would have to be Sanheim, not all of our good forward prospects. And even that, im against. I, and most flyers fans, are fully committed to the rebuild. If we win the cup, itll be on the backs of Ghost, Provy, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, Hart and Sanheim in a few years, with Giroux and Voracek likely playing more of a support role, not a major one (as far as on ice production is concerned).

That isnt mean to be a shot at Gaudreau - phenomenal player. We just aren't one phenomenal player away, though.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Probably Not. Then we reallyt have no 2C options. Flyers arent quite in a position yet to make major moves. If we did, one of the major pieces would have to be Sanheim, not all of our good forward prospects. And even that, im against. I, and most flyers fans, are fully committed to the rebuild. If we win the cup, itll be on the backs of Ghost, Provy, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, Hart and Sanheim in a few years, with Giroux and Voracek likely playing more of a support role, not a major one (as far as on ice production is concerned).

That isnt mean to be a shot at Gaudreau - phenomenal player. We just aren't one phenomenal player away, though.

Good convo, I can see where you are coming from

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Good convo, I can see where you are coming from

Likewise! 5 years ago, these would've been Flyers moves. Now, we've got a patient GM who is willing to build things up the right way. I'm not sure that we have a Gaudreau level player in our system (though who knows, id have never guessed Gaudreau wouldve been a Gaudreau level player either - and I used to play with him at open skates back when i lived in NJ), but i think the Flyers are building more to the "sum is greater than its parts" model with well balanced lines. We've been a top heavy team for so long, and while Gaudreau would be a legitimate threat on the 2nd line, the other lines would have no bite beyond that, just like the last few years.

Reactions: pmwlker and McNuge

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Konecny will sco4e 40 goals. So no.. Flyers are not trading Konecny. not to mention trading Patrick who was on fire in 2nd half. Wtf.. you going to get hammered and i love Gaudreau
Konecny a player who could not come close to 40 even in junior ...Gaudreau is better and younger than anyone the Flyers have.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If Marchand can score 39 Konecny can score 40. Kid is that special.. He gets it and has everything in his game. He is not going to score 40 on regular basis but he can reach 40 goals at least once.
What's the logic here? Marchand has been a top NHL player for several years. What does his play have to do with Konecny? They are both similar sizes? I don't get it.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Konecny a player who could not come close to 40 even in junior ...Gaudreau is better and younger than anyone the Flyers have.

Omg, point is Gaudreau is not worth it for both Konecny and Patrick. We‘re not at the stage of the rebuild.

Everyone agrees how good Gaudreau is.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Omg, point is Gaudreau is not worth it for both Konecny and Patrick. We‘re not st the stage of the rebuild.

Everyone agrees how good Gaudreau is.
No kidding. Pass on OP and all the rest. Flyers will happily keep Patrick and Frost. Patrick is already looking like a playoff warrior in only his 2nd game. Konecny is a game breaker and Frost could be the next Gaudreau clone, but a bit bigger. We're good, thanks but no thanks.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
and who is saying that Konecny is better than Gaudreau..? I mean, where is this idiotic idea coming from?

By the way who gives a f who did what in junior? Going back to Merchand, he never scored 39 goals in junior. Now what?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No Hox, your obsession regarding Patrick is out of control

It’s not just my obsession with Patrick. It’s because he would fill a massive need and if it’s not him, we find target a comparable player with Gaudreau, but yes Patrick has massive upside.

Johnny could score 80pts playing with Hathaway. Getting a C with Patrick’s upside has the potential to have a line where 3 players are all around 70pts. Then you have Monahan still who is in the same tier and can have the same impact on his line, the Flames would be a much more dangerous team. Bennett was supposed to be that player and he’s showed no signs of reaching that potential so I would act accordingly.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It’s not just my obsession with Patrick. It’s because he would fill a massive need and if it’s not him, we find target a comparable player with Gaudreau, but yes Patrick has massive upside.

Johnny could score 80pts playing with Hathaway. Getting a C with Patrick’s upside has the potential to have a line where 3 players are all around 70pts. Then you have Monahan still who is in the same tier and can have the same impact on his line, the Flames would be a much more dangerous team. Bennett was supposed to be that player and he’s showed no signs of reaching that potential so I would act accordingly.

You've just listed all the reasons we aren't interested in moving him. :)

Reactions: Larry44

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Haha yes, I suppose I did. But think of Johnny, send the poor boy home.

Here's the thing, Patrick will, with in 3 years, be our #1 center, he just has better offensive skills than Coots. Even though Johnny is the better player now (and probably will always be) we simply can't trade Patrick for him even straight up. We just need Patrick more than Johnny Hockey so any deal including Patrick is a no go.

Honestly, Sam holds absolutely no value to us. We have Laughton who is comparable to him right now. We have Frost and Rub coming soon who project to be no worse than him and Frost most likely will be better. Also, even Johnny won't bump G off the #1 low so he'd have to play on our 2nd line. We have Lindblom as our #2 la and he's showing to be a legit top 6 winger. He'd be a waste playing on the 3rd line. As such, any deal for Johnny would probably have to include Lindblom going back the other way.

The best deal we could probably offer would be Lindblom + Frost + one of our firsts. That's a whole bunch of "futures" that won't likely be impact players for at least 3 years and I can understand why that wouldn't be appealing to you.

I just don't see a package that WE would be comfortable with giving up for Johnny Hockey that would be appealing to you. I'd love to have him (he's my favorite non-Flyer pkayer) but I just don't think we are good trade partners

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

No, it doesn't fill a massive hole. It makes a glaring hole larger. Sure our Cs could be upgrading, but saying it's a massive hole is just plain ridiculous and frankly insulting to Monahan and Backlund. Patrick will be a very good player, but this type of deal absolutely guts the Flames offense by removing it's most dynamic player when we already have issues scoring goals.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Here's the thing, Patrick will, with in 3 years, be our #1 center, he just has better offensive skills than Coots. Even though Johnny is the better player now (and probably will always be) we simply can't trade Patrick for him even straight up. We just need Patrick more than Johnny Hockey so any deal including Patrick is a no go.

Honestly, Sam holds absolutely no value to us. We have Laughton who is comparable to him right now. We have Frost and Rub coming soon who project to be no worse than him and Frost most likely will be better. Also, even Johnny won't bump G off the #1 low so he'd have to play on our 2nd line. We have Lindblom as our #2 la and he's showing to be a legit top 6 winger. He'd be a waste playing on the 3rd line. As such, any deal for Johnny would probably have to include Lindblom going back the other way.

The best deal we could probably offer would be Lindblom + Frost + one of our firsts. That's a whole bunch of "futures" that won't likely be impact players for at least 3 years and I can understand why that wouldn't be appealing to you.

I just don't see a package that WE would be comfortable with giving up for Johnny Hockey that would be appealing to you. I'd love to have him (he's my favorite non-Flyer pkayer) but I just don't think we are good trade partners

That sounds like a fair price, although I'd add a 4th or 5th to that deal, or have Sanheim instead of Lindblom in the deal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's really simple. Philly is not trading young, cost controlled top 6 players, for 1 expensive one....because we are not in a win now situation. Simple as that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's really simple. Philly is not trading young, cost controlled top 6 players, for 1 expensive one....because we are not in a win now situation. Simple as that.
This isn't baseball where RFAs are cost controlled, RFAs are getting some of the biggest contracts now

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This isn't baseball where RFAs are cost controlled, RFAs are getting some of the biggest contracts now
And???

Konecny and Patrick could still both be 50 point players next year....for under 2 million dollars. THAT HAS LOTS OF VALUE. Especially to philly...who is still a few years away from being contenders.

And in no way am I saying Gaudreau is on a bad contract. He is on a great one...especially for a contender NOW. But he just is not a guy that Philly goes and adds right now to play on the 2nd line...all while trading away their #2C and a guy who should be their #1RW due to fit.

But put it this way....in 2 years...he could very well be the type of guy Hextall looks to add for futures. But today is not that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad