Proposal: Flames / Flyers

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Maybe because Gaudreau is an elite offensive player :dunno:
And adding almost $7 million to the cap. They'll have to sign Provorov and maybe Simmonds soon. This also doesn't solve their issues of replacing the bottom 6 and bottom pairing. Not to mention short term goaltending. The talent falls off a cliff in those areas. If they were in a win now mode or even close to it, it could make sense.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No from Flyers. Patrick and TK are still on cheaper ELCs, and are tracking just fine.

Bennett is kind of meh at this point, id be interested at a low price, but why would CGY do such things.

I’d be interested in something around Bennett for Simmonds. While that gives us a good RW, I still think we need a top end C.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is freakin terrible for the Flames, the OP should be ashamed to call himself a Flames fan. This board is just mind boggling....

LOL, sorry but I am not ashamed. This deal would make the Flames a much better team. We currently do not have a proper supporting cast to win with Johnny as our main piece.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This is freakin terrible for the Flames, the OP should be ashamed to call himself a Flames fan. This board is just mind boggling....

Like Konecny and Patrick are nice young players. You just don’t trade elite offensive players with 4 years left on their contracts.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
No interest really in Bennett, but Johnny Gaudreau is the man. IDK how I would feel about having Giroux, Gaudreau, & Voracek. Seems redundant.

Who is gonna score the goals? But at the same time tho, this is Johnny Hockey we're talking about.

The value is there and you have to give to get, but I'd probably have to pass and take my chances with Patrick & TK.

I don't see 40 goals for TK ever, but fingers crossed he continues to progress towards a 30-35 and 65 pts winger. Same for Patrick, but I'm even less inclined to trade him. As the season went on, he got better and better and better. Already playing as a C in the NHL as a teenager and coming off of hernia surgery (the same exact procedure G & Ghost had done prior to last seasons and they were both trash last year. This year, with an additional year of recovery? 2nd in League scoring and 4th in d scoring). Patrick also has a Jeff Carter-esque shot and will hopefully learn to use it more, so he should also hopefully be a 30+ goal boy in his prime, but will obv also play C and continue to grow his already good two-way game.

Reactions: Cyborg LeClair

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Like Konecny and Patrick are nice young players. You just don’t trade elite offensive players with 4 years left on their contracts.

Honestly I don’t think most Flames fans appreciate how good Konency is. I’d place his value and upside at par with Kyle Connor, I think he has 60-70pt upside.

People who haven’t watched Patrick will look at his point totals and say he’s had just an “okay” season. The last half of the year he’s been very good, I think he’s going to be a franchise C and I’d take him over Hischier. He makes some skilled plays look effortless, much like Tkachuk. He has excellent size, great on the dot and very high IQ, in a couple of years I think his value will eclipse Johnny’s.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013
I would do it as a flames fan. We're losing Johnny to Philly or Jersey in 4 years, I believe. Patrick with Konecny and Tkachuk would be an amazing young line. Big, gritty and skilled.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Any Flames fan who wouldn’t do this doesn’t actually understand how good Patrick and Konecny look like they’ll be very soon. I also don’t get why JG’s production now and for the next few years is more valuable than both Konecny and Patrick’s production in a couple years (or next season, if lucky) when the Flames aren’t even a playoff team currently.

Any Flyers fan says no pretty easily.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Definite pass. Although Gaudreau is probably the guy I’d love to see most wear the orange and black.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly stays the course and keeps the 2 cheap topm6 players. Both should take the step towards 50-70 points next year.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Have to be giving up at least Couts for him.
Giving up their #1C who makes $4.33 for the next 4 years and who should be getting Selke votes plus adding to it for Gaudreau makes no sense for where this team is at. Gaudreau would be on the 2nd line and they would need to replace a C. No one they bring up next year will be ready for a top 2C role.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Giving up their #1C who makes $4.33 for the next 4 years and who should be getting Selke votes plus adding to it for Gaudreau makes no sense for where this team is at. Gaudreau would be on the 2nd line and they would need to replace a C. No one they bring up next year will be ready for a top 2C role.

So, the real answer is Patrick? An unproven rookie?

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
So, the real answer is Patrick? An unproven rookie?
No but if they move Couts, he would have to move up and Gaudreau would be playing wing to someone they sign or once again trade for (giving up more assets). I would move Simmonds and rebuild the bottom 6 and bottom pairing. Those are the biggest weaknesses besides goaltending and coaching and should be easier to fix. If you watch Flyers games, Manning, Gudas, and MacDonald are almost like they are playing for the other team. The 3 line gives you almost nothing most nights and the 4th is more hit than miss. They'll have about $15.5 million in cap space to fix those areas. Trading for a LW by weakening the C wouldn't help them unless they had someone to fill in.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
No but if they move Couts, he would have to move up and Gaudreau would be playing wing to someone they sign or once again trade for (giving up more assets). I would move Simmonds and rebuild the bottom 6 and bottom pairing. Those are the biggest weaknesses besides goaltending and coaching and should be easier to fix. If you watch Flyers games, Manning, Gudas, and MacDonald are almost like they are playing for the other team. The 3 line gives you almost nothing most nights and the 4th is more hit than miss. They'll have about $15.5 million in cap space to fix those areas. Trading for a LW by weakening the C wouldn't help them unless they had someone to fill in.

I can do Simmonds.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
What do the Flyers accomplish by trading Couturier for Gaudreau? I understand OP's thought because it cashes in an elite offensive winger for 2 very high end young NHL players, but Couturier?

Trading Couturier doesn't create holes all over the lineup, it creates craters. Why would the Flyers do that? They already have 2 elite wingers in Giroux & Voracek. Adding a 3rd elite winger but at the cost of our 1c? What do they do then? Just move G back to C even though he has had a career renaissance? I'd rather just stay the course and stick to the process. If we move anybody, it needs to be Simmonds. Love Wayne, but unless he's willing to re-sign for 5 x 5 (which he won't; he needs to get paid and he already took a sweetheart deal from us once before) then it's time to part ways IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad