Value of: Flames firesale

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Everyone on the team except Gaudreau is available (Unless you offer like a McDavid, Karlsson-esque player).

What are your offers?

Needs:
top 6 RIGHT HANDED SHOT WINGERS (Go ahead and laugh, but the reality is when your entire top 8 is LHS and play a super predictable style one-dimensionally, you're going to have trouble scoring. I've watched enough Flames games to know that during a few critical moments a right-handed shot would have gotten us an extra 2-3 points this season, which really is not enough to make the playoffs, but it could affect a player's mentality positively) (And at times throughout the season those 2-3 points can be critical).
top 4 left handed shot left side dominant Dman (By this I mean they do far better on the left side than right side. Brodie clearly plays far better on the right side than left side).
Backup goalie
New coaches (Not tradeable, but yeah)

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers will give you Strome+Russell...
Just give us back Foo and we will call it even.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's a shame we're rivals because we've got some good LHD like Nurse and Klef and could really use a Dman for the right side like Brodie (and yes fellow Oiler fans, even though Brodie is not as good this year he'd be a godsend to our D core imo)

But like I said, I doubt it could happen. I bet your team will make some crazy play for Karlsson just in case the Oilers try it.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
The coach will go. Didn't have the experience to be hired in the 1st place. Never made the playoffs with Dallas. The Flames GM saw something but what?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Only trade that is remotely practical between Leafs-Flames is Kapanen-Bennett, or Kapanen-Andersson.

We don't want to trade Kapanen and I don't think Bennett ever puts it altogether in Calgary but I am optimistic what Babcock could do for him. If Bennett can't crack it at C (and be productive to boot at it), he's going to be less valuable to us than Kapanen but that's the risk-reward aspect.

Andersson fills a need at RHD and was tracking on a similar trajectory to Dermott, who's been lights out for us since being called up. With Kapanen's play recently, I would think Flames would have to add though, can understand the lack of interest if that's the case.

Not saying I'd do it but it those are the guys that would fit some needs for both sides....as to get some discussion going.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Only trade that is remotely practical between Leafs-Flames is Kapanen-Bennett, or Kapanen-Andersson.

We don't want to trade Kapanen and I don't think Bennett ever puts it altogether in Calgary but I am optimistic what Babcock could do for him. If Bennett can't crack it at C (and be productive to boot at it), he's going to be less valuable to us than Kapanen but that's the risk-reward aspect.

Andersson fills a need at RHD and was tracking on a similar trajectory to Dermott, who's been lights out for us since being called up. With Kapanen's play recently, I would think Flames would have to add though, can understand the lack of interest if that's the case.

Not saying I'd do it but it those are the guys that would fit some needs for both sides....as to get some discussion going.

I am not a fan of Andersson for Kapanen straight up so a big no if we have to add.

I think if we are moving Andersson I would want a clear cut top 6 guy back and Kapanen certainly isn't that. Otherwise I would just keep him and play him in the line-up next year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I am not a fan of Andersson for Kapanen straight up so a big no if we have to add.

I think if we are moving Andersson I would want a clear cut top 6 guy back and Kapanen certainly isn't that. Otherwise I would just keep him and play him in the line-up next year.

Depends who you consider a clear top 6 guy, Andersson hasn't had his cup of tea in the NHL yet to prove anything, though I don't deny his stock can't skyrocket if he can prove he belongs and then some (as Dermott did for us).

As for proven top 6 guy, I don't know if you get that for either piece I mentioned but it depends whether you want a cost-controlled young guy with a lot of upside who can easily grow into that role, with greater usage (as Kapanen is) or simply a top 6 you can pick off the market like a Perron, Vanek, Neal (obviously they all aren't on the same tier).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Depends who you consider a clear top 6 guy, Andersson hasn't had his cup of tea in the NHL yet to prove anything, though I don't deny his stock can't skyrocket if he can prove he belongs and then some (as Dermott did for us).

As for proven top 6 guy, I don't know if you get that for either piece I mentioned but it depends whether you want a cost-controlled young guy with a lot of upside who can easily grow into that role, with greater usage (as Kapanen is) or simply a top 6 you can pick off the market like a Perron, Vanek, Neal (obviously they all aren't on the same tier).

S

I am not sure if we can get that but that's why I said I would keep him if not. I just don't see Kapanen as a likely solution to our top 6 RW need so in that case I would rather keep Andersson.

If we can't get it with Andersson I would prefer to pay a little more to get that guy than go with Kapanen because he was cheaper to acquire.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Given the point about needing Top 4 LHD, I think you can assume we aren't trading Gio as well.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Flames are a young team and just starting to come up. Why would you do a firesale? Some people are just weird..

Johnny, Monahan, Thachuk,etc is a good core to build around.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Flames are a young team and just starting to come up. Why would you do a firesale? Some people are just weird..

Johnny, Monahan, Thachuk,etc is a good core to build around.

I think the issue is that it is debatable how young they are and certainly debatable that they are starting to come up.

Yes they have young pieces but how much better are Gaudreau, Monahan, Hamilton, Brodie likely to get? Yes they may get some improvement from Tkachuk and Bennett but for the most part the core is likely about as good as it is going to get. The nice thing about that though is that they likely have at least 5 more years of those guys playing at their current level.

In terms of the coming up, as I mentioned above how much better is the current roster going to get on its own? And if it is as I would say not very much better than how can you improve the roster from the outside, either through trades, signings or prospects, and this is where I think the Flames are potentially in big trouble.

They need at least one more top 6 forward and a better than a run of the mill guy, it needs to be a guy that contributes on his own merits. Now that doesn't mean a Crosby, Malkin or even Tavares but it doesn't mean a Hyman, Ferland, Sheary/Rust that can play with top level guys but really are the passengers on those lines instead of being able to create themselves or contribute at a close to equal level as their linemates.

They don't have anyone coming up that can provide that. The free agent market doesn't have much considering it basically has to be a RW or RHS center. The free agent market has lately shown itself to be more of a wasteland of terrible deals than quality additions. Trading has slowed down across the league it seems with salary being such an issue now and with the deals for Hamilton, Hamonic and Smith I am not sure how much capital they have left that they can afford to move without really hamstringing the team long term.

I think the Flames are heading into what could/should be an interesting off-season. The easiest thing seems to play it very safe, sign a mid-level vet to try and shove onto the Jankowski line on the RW, keep the top line together, keep the 3M together and hope that this year was a terrible season of bad luck and that a miracle happens next year that takes you from 12th last to contender thanks to hopes and fairy dust.

The team is too young to rebuild, has too many holes to easily patch it up and contend and really too committed to its core to make any major changes there. It is hard to see a path that leads to contention and not mediocrity. I guess this is why Treliving is paid the big bucks and I am sitting at my computer (in my own house with pants on mind you) because I have a hard time seeing how the Flames aren't spending the next 3-4 years finishing between 6th-10th in the West and hoping to get a play-off round win.

Reactions: Devonator

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Flames have one of the worst PDO this season, so they should do better with some adjustments. Like wise Ducks and Kings have super high PDO. Ducks get the benefit of the doubt since they had a ton of injuries, but still.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Agree Kapanen isn’t close to a clear cut top 6. He hasn’t even broken 10 goals yet in his 3 seasons in a leafs uniform.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Everyone on the team except Gaudreau is available (Unless you offer like a McDavid, Karlsson-esque player).

What are your offers?

Needs:
top 6 RIGHT HANDED SHOT WINGERS (Go ahead and laugh, but the reality is when your entire top 8 is LHS and play a super predictable style one-dimensionally, you're going to have trouble scoring. I've watched enough Flames games to know that during a few critical moments a right-handed shot would have gotten us an extra 2-3 points this season, which really is not enough to make the playoffs, but it could affect a player's mentality positively) (And at times throughout the season those 2-3 points can be critical).
top 4 left handed shot left side dominant Dman (By this I mean they do far better on the left side than right side. Brodie clearly plays far better on the right side than left side).
Backup goalie
New coaches (Not tradeable, but yeah)
The Flames aren't having a f***ing firesale, they are still a young and improving club. Improvement isn't linear.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Agree Kapanen isn’t close to a clear cut top 6. He hasn’t even broken 10 goals yet in his 3 seasons in a leafs uniform.
Lol try harder... those 47 games split over 3 years but mostly this year on the 4th line really doesn't make your point quite as good as 3 seasons....

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Lol try harder... those 47 games split over 3 years but mostly this year on the 4th line really doesn't make your point quite as good as 3 seasons....

It's Kapanen's fault he had a waiver exempt contract on a team with 10 NHL wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad