GDT: Flames @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think the defense has been absolutely fine lately. Not great, but not bad. Certainly better than it was earlier in the year, and the numbers back that up. We’ve done a great job suppressing shots in the last 20. Unfortunately, we’re getting the worst goaltending in the league or close to it. Giving up at least one softie every single game is hard to overcome.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
there are only 4 goalies who qualify with a worse SV% than Kinkaid

ironically enough, one of them is Wedgewood

Someone on a Facebook page said that we should’ve kept Wedge and that was tearing it up in Arizona. I quickly shot that down. Of all goalies who have played a minimum of 800 mins, of which there are 50 goaltenders, Kinkaid is 50 in save percentage. He absolutely has to be better but in an ideal world we don’t see him start the next game.

Reactions: mtnet

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
At least Quenneville had a good game. That slapshot he took in the third was a rocket, he's just gotta hit the net

He definitely has potential to be like Henrique

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
cory is far from a backup. on marty's level no way.... id still take him over half of the NHL goalies right now. the goals kink let it are goals i would expect cory to stop. especially the 3rd goal... the GW goal. kink did his best 'hayes zone entry' impression on that goal going side to side. it was awful. the 2nd was stoppable too, it just looked worse because he left so much space open for him to score. he didnt even try to close his pads haha. when cory comes back this team will be sitting pretty. another very good game by the devils and another loss. if its not the refs its the goalie... if its not the goalie its the bounces... if its not the bounces its the D. this team is much better than their record shows as crazy as that seems. a deadline deal will do this team some good. DO IT SHERO!

what? no. hopefully cory is back soon so kinkaid can go back to being the backup that he is. that's how that should have read

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
quenneville looked very good. it was a great sign that he was noticeable on the ice and created a number of offensive chances.

but come on we don't need lovejoy in the lineup anymore. even when he plays a "great game" for him with few defensive mistakes he still doesn't make the team better. he still gives the puck away, he doesn't help in the o zone and he's slow. ugh it's so frustrating

Reactions: Devils Dominion

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
by the way, in regards to all this talk about save percentage. you guys realize that if you remove the game he was injured against philly, kinkaid’s save percentage climbs to like .903, right? putting him up there with the likes of matt murray (pretty good) and craig anderson (average)? yeah maybe that isn’t setting the bar too high, but I don’t tend to set the bar very high for the keith kinkaids of the world.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
by the way, in regards to all this talk about save percentage. you guys realize that if you remove the game he was injured against philly, kinkaid’s save percentage climbs to like .903, right? putting him up there with the likes of matt murray (pretty good) and craig anderson (average)? yeah maybe that isn’t setting the bar too high, but I don’t tend to set the bar very high for the keith kinkaids of the world.

~.900 is still pretty unacceptable, even for a backup goalie. He also got pulled against Ottawa. You can't just remove these games.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
~.900 is still pretty unacceptable, even for a backup goalie. He also got pulled against Ottawa. You can't just remove these games.

I’m not ‘just removing those games’. the only game I removed was the game against philly, where he played 12 minutes, the team played like shit and he got shelled. what I’m trying to do is provide context, something that is seriously lacking around here where it comes to these echo chamber topics.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m not ‘just removing those games’. the only game I removed was the game against philly, where he played 12 minutes, the team played like **** and he got shelled. what I’m trying to do is provide context, something that is seriously lacking around here where it comes to these echo chamber topics.
No context makes Kinkaid look even close to even league average. He's been very bad and probably won't be on the team next year.

Reactions: ChicoEatsNachos

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
honestly who needs to parse stats, we all have eyes. he's given up how many goals in the first 3 minutes of a game? how many stoppable goals? Stats dont show momentum swings and team morale.

The second goal last night was backbreaking because it was entirely stoppable and came right on the heels of a scoring chance the other way. the third goal was terrible positioning it looked like he gave up on the play. he looked fine during the 3 game winning streak but it obviously wasn't sustainable. i'd honestly rather appleby get another shot he looked better

Camille the Eel

We have struggled all year against teams that pressure the puck aggressively. Both in our end, the neutral zone, even when on offense too (particularly at the other club's blue line), we are prone to turn overs when aggressively challenged. (Hall is the big exception, Zacha is gaining some grit not to turn it over, but the generalization holds).

Last night was another example. You could see our lack of confidence with the puck. We generally tried to move the puck too fast. We panicked all night when we actually had more time. The fast supportive thing can be overdone. When the other club knows you are going to move it up the boards and gets in your way you can take some time.

I have no idea how a club handles that. It seems like a coaching issue as much as something for the players.

And yeah the goaltending has stunk the last two games. Against Pitt and in the final period against Philly it was okay though. That was the difference maybe in those games.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
all those dropped points against the basement teams really looking fantastic right now.
9-4-2 against Ottawa,Buffalo,Edmonton,Detroit,Vancouver, Arizona

People keep repeating this stuff and you would think they have some horrible record against them but they don’t. Devils are not within the likes of Tampa yet and even they just lost to Edmonton this week. Shit happens

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
The goaltending situation is gonna make it extremely tough for the team to be consistent. Because the margin for error is so miniscule now with that being the clear weak point. As much as I have given it to schneider this season at times, the current disaster has me appreciating him a lot more

Another thing, has he even been healthy in months? Bc I remember this groin issue lingering early on right around when wedgewood got traded. So he may have been grinding thru it since early on - hopefully them taking a long time here can get him back to 100%.

The defense has been leaky at times, but to me, the goaltending is the biggest issue the team is facing right now, which is tough for a team that isn't strong enough to avoid inconsistency to begin with.

But you just have to find a way to win the games inside the division. If you're gonna lose, make it outside the metro.

And hope schneider can get back (and to 100%) soon bc I think that will be big for the team (although it may take a couple games for him to get confortable again)

Team is still in a good spot, but have to find ways to win or at least get points out of games.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
im not sure i agree - i thought they generally played a really good game from a puck control and breakout standpoint. they should have worked harder in front of the net to score and played with more urgency offensively but structurally they played a fine game and weren't outmatched against that team they were they were against the jets or other big teams like that.

Camille the Eel

im not sure i agree - i thought they generally played a really good game from a puck control and breakout standpoint. they should have worked harder in front of the net to score and played with more urgency offensively but structurally they played a fine game and weren't outmatched against that team they were they were against the jets or other big teams like that.
Agree it wasn't egregious but we were jumpy when pressed in our end and two of the three goals against us came from turnovers at the other club's blue line (on Gaudreau's break away it was Bratt who lost control of the puck; on the 2d Monahan I don't know what happened at our blue line, but the puck got reversed the length of the ice in 3 seconds with a long pass, leaving the guy coming down a free lane inside the right dot). When I watch clubs like the Predators (for example, and yeah they are so good at this so a good example but you can't expect to compare) guys take their time when necessary to make the right play; they're not frantic even though they're fast; they very seldom give the puck away. But that's why they are a cup contender and we are a very young inexperienced team.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
9-4-2 against Ottawa,Buffalo,Edmonton,Detroit,Vancouver, Arizona

People keep repeating this stuff and you would think they have some horrible record against them but they don’t. Devils are not within the likes of Tampa yet and even they just lost to Edmonton this week. **** happens

i detect a glaring omission of a home loss against florida and the ot loss in montreal.

13 dropped points against the bottom eight is inexcusable when you're fighting for a playoff spot. there is no rationalizing it.

if they get five more points out of those games we're a first place team.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i detect a glaring omission of a home loss against florida and the ot loss in montreal.

13 dropped points against the bottom eight is inexcusable when you're fighting for a playoff spot. there is no rationalizing it.
They played against Montreal without hall or palmieri

Okay add a loss against Florida and then add another win against them too

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
And it is still a ridiculous statement to make. Luckily you are in the minority as many people think Keith is a fine person, most importantly his teammates.

You like to add words that I didn't say to fit your narrative. I never said he wasn't a fine person, just like I never said I hate him... I dislike him, there's a big difference. I HATE watching him play hockey

I'm sure he'e a fine person off the ice but that doesn't make any difference to me.... I said he's a goof and I don't like his garbage Twitter nonsense and his interviews are horrendous.

More importantly he sucks at being a goalie and when I'm paying hard earned money to go watch this bum play I'm definitely allowed to form whatever opinion I want about him and his pathetic play.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I think defense has been ok, especially for what it is. It just seems that whenever they go through these rough patches, every mistake they make seems to find its way to the back of the net. Some of it is certainly on the blown coverages, poor pinches, etc. but they are also not getting bailed out whatsoever by the goalies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I'm sure he'e a fine person off the ice but that doesn't make any difference to me.... I said he's a goof and I don't like his garbage Twitter nonsense and his interviews are horrendous.

ok, removing the fact that he's even a hockey player let a lone a not-good one from the equation, some of you really need to get over shit. :laugh: also let's not pretend like you still wouldn't like it if he was a god in net and our starter.

let's go back to the good old days when players couldn't choose their numbers or show any personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->