Pre-Game Talk: Flames @ Detroit Sunday 7:30PM ET | Must win edition?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Cxt3SC1XcAAp74B.jpg:large

Wings lines from morning skate. Seem pretty balanced, all things considered. Hopefully Vanek picks up where he left off and also lights a fire under Nielsen. LGRW!

I really like those lines, Hopefully with Vanek back we can do something here. This team is pretty bad right now we need more goals here.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I would scratch Tatar and play Bertuzzi instead.

Yes, yes, I think your point has been made. Realistically we could bench 80% of these forwards in place of Bertuzzi, not sure it even matters the way the Wings have been playing.

Again we see Blashill responding in a decently logical manner. Luke Glendening is returned to the 4th line, right where he should be. The 3rd line of Tatar- Sheahan- Abdelkader are the forwards who have had lowest energy of any. This is the 1st game Tatar has dropped into the bottom 6 and seems appropriate. May be gets these guys going? :help:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Already been hearing that after his ELC runs out, That Larkin could get something around 8 years $48 million or 8 years $52 million somewhere within that range. Mrazek will probably get around 6 years $36 million once we can get Howard off the books here.

Do you have a source for where you heard that information about Larkin???

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I think it was just a possible suggestion on what Larkin could receive, I think Malik was mentioning what a new Larkin deal could look like. I'll see if i can find the article i saw it about a couple months ago on one of the rumor sites. Edit it was an article from the Hockey Writers just suggesting what Larkins next contract could be from what other comparable's got signed for.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
2 of the worst teams in the league going at it tonight, should be a thriller!

Neither team can score, get ready for a long, dull, uneventful, boring hockey game. I'll say Calgary wins 2-1.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
no Bertuzzi? okay.

but..

How about Sproul in today? He should be in but never know lately with this staff. He should be full time.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I'd rather pay a guy more money who proves himself than gamble on a player who had a hot start. I'm sure Florida is wishing they were a bit more patient with Ekblad now that's he's come back down to Earth. How many players has this actually worked for? I can't think of a mega-contract that was signed for a rookie coming out of ELC that seemed appropriate. Even Barkov doesn't seem to be earning his $5.9 million cap hit. It didn't work for any of Edmonton's young players either.

Sometimes it pays off big, and that's how you get those contracts which are considered the best in the league. Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Hall, OEL, Josi are all great contracts that were signed fresh off of ELCs.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Sometimes it pays off big, and that's how you get those contracts which are considered the best in the league. Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Hall, OEL, Josi are all great contracts that were signed fresh off of ELCs.

replace sheham with bert

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I've really liked Zetterberg and Mantha together on the PP and during a couple off-shifts where they played together. I hope those two take off...

Glad Abby got demoted, too. He's had very few impact moments. Tatar-Sheahan-Abby will have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps tonight.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

6M seems pretty reasonable, if he keeps progressing. That's close to Barkov, basically what Hall, Eberle, Saad, RNH, etc. got.

For a top prospect who doesn't completely break expectations (I.e, Connor McDavid isn't signing 8/48.), $6M aav is a sensible offer.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I've really liked Zetterberg and Mantha together on the PP and during a couple off-shifts where they played together. I hope those two take off...

Glad Abby got demoted, too. He's had very few impact moments. Tatar-Sheahan-Abby will have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps tonight.

Abby: Let's pull up our bootstraps, oil up a couple *****, and do a little plowing of our own. POW!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Jamie Benn signed a 5-year deal after putting up point totals of 41, 56, and 63. He we improving his point totals every season. $5.25 million per year was very reasonable for those point totals. The Stars were paying for proven talent.

Segun's contract was signed a year after the team won the Cup and he led his team in points. Leading your team in points is a pretty good reason to sign the player to a long-term money deal. However, if the Bruins waited another year they might have gotten him cheaper considering he regressed before being traded.

Tavares' contract was signed after putting up 54, 67, and 81 points. Signing a 6-year, $5.5 million contract was not a risk for the Islanders and was a steal at the time (and still is).

Romi Josi's and OEL's contracts weren't risks at all when they were signed, either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jamie Benn signed a 5-year deal after putting up point totals of 41, 56, and 63. He we improving his point totals every season. $5.25 million per year was very reasonable for those point totals. The Stars were paying for proven talent.

Segun's contract was signed a year after the team won the Cup and he led his team in points. Leading your team in points is a pretty good reason to sign the player to a long-term money deal. However, if the Bruins waited another year they might have gotten him cheaper considering he regressed before being traded.

Tavares' contract was signed after putting up 54, 67, and 81 points. Signing a 6-year, $5.5 million contract was not a risk for the Islanders and was a steal at the time (and still is).

Romi Josi's and OEL's contracts weren't risks at all when they were signed, either.

Josi's deal is a perfect example of what you were referring to in your other post. Never even had a full productive season, but Nashville was banking on them coming down the line, and they sure did.

Was hilarious on the main board how clueless people were as to how good he was when he was given that deal.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Josi's deal is a perfect example of what you were referring to in your other post. Never even had a full productive season, but Nashville was banking on them coming down the line, and they sure did.

Was hilarious on the main board how clueless people were as to how good he was when he was given that deal.

There's a difference between $4 million a season and $7.5 million a season. Next season Ekblad will be the 5th-highest paid defensemen in the NHL (depending on what Burns signs for). Josi is currently the 82nd highest-paid defenseman. See the difference? Nashville maybe paid a bit more than they had to, but not much more. Josi's contract was signed during a half-season where he was on pace for 25-30 points. His deal was more than fair at that time. It wasn't going to cripple the team if it didn't work out.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Cxt3SC1XcAAp74B.jpg:large

Wings lines from morning skate. Seem pretty balanced, all things considered. Hopefully Vanek picks up where he left off and also lights a fire under Nielsen. LGRW!

Doesn't look so bad on paper if we could swap Riley for aa when he comes back. But we'd probably still only score one goal cus we suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad