Pre-Game Talk: Flames @ Detroit Sunday 7:30PM ET | Must win edition?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
This is going to sound odd, but I'd be cool with Larkin off the PP.. Z and Abby on the same unit is ****. So many things wrong with the PP.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'm curious to see who gets the start.

Blash usually switches it up coming off a loss, but given that the team lost because of Mrazek against the bolts and jimmy lost against the caps because of the wings inability to score, I say we should go with Howard.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm curious to see who gets the start.

Blash usually switches it up coming off a loss, but given that the team lost because of Mrazek against the bolts and jimmy lost against the caps because of the wings inability to score, I say we should go with Howard.

I thinks it sucks Mrazek isn't establish yet as easily the most reliable of the two. Seems reasonable the Wings will play Howard.

Calgary without Gaudreau is a different team than with- Wings immediately have a better chance. Still the Flames are one of those teams that can win any given game they're never a pushover.

The next top star in Calgary we never hear any discussion of is Monahan. Guy is 22 with a 7 year 6.5 mil contract. He can be quietly dangerous but I wonder how much of his production for two seasons was the benefit of Hudler. Why did they sign a 7 year extension for a RFA so early?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The next top star in Calgary we never hear any discussion of is Monahan. Guy is 22 with a 7 year 6.5 mil contract. He can be quietly dangerous but I wonder how much of his production for two seasons was the benefit of Hudler. Why did they sign a 7 year extension for a RFA so early?

If a 21-year-old puts up back-to-back 60 point seasons, you pay the kid. The cap hit looks a little off at this particular moment, a brief snapshot, but $6.5 over that duration should be a fair deal for all involved.

If they wait, do a bridge contract, and he throws up another pair of 30 goal seasons, he's commanding more cash and you're eating more UFA years in the negotiation.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
If a 21-year-old puts up back-to-back 60 point seasons, you pay the kid. The cap hit looks a little off at this particular moment, a brief snapshot, but $6.5 over that duration should be a fair deal for all involved.

If they wait, do a bridge contract, and he throws up another pair of 30 goal seasons, he's commanding more cash and you're eating more UFA years in the negotiation.

Thanks. I'm not too critical of Monahan as much as curious how deals like this are made. Just looked up the rules I think I have a better understanding. His 3 year ELC was expired this spring- signing a full 7 year deal bought the Flames 3 extra years for possibly cheaper since Monahan would be an UFA at the age of 25. Is this correct?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I'd rather pay a guy more money who proves himself than gamble on a player who had a hot start. I'm sure Florida is wishing they were a bit more patient with Ekblad now that's he's come back down to Earth. How many players has this actually worked for? I can't think of a mega-contract that was signed for a rookie coming out of ELC that seemed appropriate. Even Barkov doesn't seem to be earning his $5.9 million cap hit. It didn't work for any of Edmonton's young players either.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thanks. I'm not too critical of Monahan as much as curious how deals like this are made. Just looked up the rules I think I have a better understanding. His 3 year ELC was expired this spring- signing a full 7 year deal bought the Flames 3 extra years for possibly cheaper since Monahan would be an UFA at the age of 25. Is this correct?

Yup, that's basically it. I don't know the exact UFA years on his deal without looking it up. Eating any UFA years is going to cost you more cash, because ultimately a player like Monahan will look at the open market and see they could start a bidding war.

He's presently a 22-year-old, former top 10 draft pick, #1 center (over 51% on draws the last 2 years) with back to back 60 point seasons. His contract could have got wild if they tried to bridge it. Imagine the demand for Larkin, or his paycheck, if he were to be a positive FO% and score that well.

Good use of bucks, if you ask me. Free agency doesn't get you much better for around $6 million. Think 32-year-old Frans Nielsen making $5.25 over 6 seasons.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If wings lose this one I might start cheering for the team to lose every game. It just sucks when you really want your team to win and then they just go and lose 8/10 games, makes it easier to want/expect loss.

Hoping for a strong game by Sproul. And Mantha to play so well that it would make Blashill and Holland look stupid for not having him up earlier.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I'd rather pay a guy more money who proves himself than gamble on a player who had a hot start. I'm sure Florida is wishing they were a bit more patient with Ekblad now that's he's come back down to Earth. How many players has this actually worked for? I can't think of a mega-contract that was signed for a rookie coming out of ELC that seemed appropriate. Even Barkov doesn't seem to be earning his $5.9 million cap hit. It didn't work for any of Edmonton's young players either.

Stay tuned for a Larkin mega deal.

That should wipe out lots of cap space.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
So who the hell is gonna be in on defense this game? Smith? Kronner? XO? It's like a revolving door of suck! Sproul needs to be fulltime now. There's no question he's an improvement.

I'd say Vanek needs to be on the Nielsen line now since Helm is out. It might help Nielsen too.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Already been hearing that after his ELC runs out, That Larkin could get something around 8 years $48 million or 8 years $52 million somewhere within that range. Mrazek will probably get around 6 years $36 million once we can get Howard off the books here.
Neither one is on track for contracts like that.

erichorn10

Jul 6, 2015
Cxt3SC1XcAAp74B.jpg:large

Wings lines from morning skate. Seem pretty balanced, all things considered. Hopefully Vanek picks up where he left off and also lights a fire under Nielsen. LGRW!

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Cxt3SC1XcAAp74B.jpg:large

Wings lines from morning skate. Seem pretty balanced, all things considered. Hopefully Vanek picks up where he left off and also lights a fire under Nielsen. LGRW!

Seem pretty balanced, just hoping vanek is playing on the LW he's way better on his off wing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad