Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 4-1 (Highmore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I actually thought the Canucks played quite well and were the better team for most of the game, until a few bounces went the Flames way at the end and we just gave up.

I was getting super nervous and annoyed we were going to win ;)

Only one I feel bad for is Demko because he played really good.

Hughes was really buzzing and probably along with Hoglander was our best player. Miller was a horse as usual and unfortunate on the own-goal.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I already strongly suspected it was, given your bizarre stance on Willie D, and your defense of Benning shilling, and your attacks on Canucks fans.

I'm loving this; my "bizarre" stance on WD (that he wasn't actually the worst coach in hockey history which is supported by his subsequent tours of duty and his overall career record) seems to REALLY bug some people here as does my PERSONAL OPINION that Todd Bertuzzi is a convicted criminal and a disgrace to the Canuck franchise and that his defenders are often classless wanna-be bullies. As for my "shilling" again you call me that because I don't think he's as bad as you think; I sure don't think much of him and would love to see him replaced by literally almost anybody else. I gasped along with every other Canuck fan when we signed Eriksson to his insane deal and instantly predicted what would happen pretty accurately. What the serious haters refuse to admit is what a difficult market Vancouver is to be a GM in. Nobody really wants to play here (hence the constant overpayment to FA's) and nobody of any REAL quality wants to coach or GM here because in way too many cases it is career destroying and the fans here turn on their team at the slightest sign of failure. Everything about this team is bad right now, the idiot playboy owner, the yes men he has hired to run his team, the largely toxic fanbase, even normal things about the city (it's location relative to other NHL cities, the cost of living, the lack of "pizzazz" compared to places like NYC, LA, Vegas etc.). Seattle is gonna own us forever starting at game one I fear...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Watched the game. Sorta. It was on, I was there, sometimes doing things sometimes not. Neither team clearly wanted to win. Canucks of course lost.

--First game I've seen from Juolevi when he was actually *trying* to consistently be part of the play. He must have noticed Rathbone casually sailing past him on the depth chart.

--Highmore scores. Whoo.

--Each game now features long stretches of being bottled up in their own zone 5 on 5 no matter what team they're playing. Desire is cratering among anyone not named Miller or Hoglander.

Meh. Bring on the offseason.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Other than Juolevi's first period gaffe..I thought he settled in well for the rest of the game..His partner had a tougher game than he did.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander in a redraft is a 1st round pick..
And based on his consistent play all season, the top 15 in the 2019 draft is not out of the question imo

Right after he was drafted, he was one the leading scorers at the WJHC, and spent his entire career as a regular in the SHL despite being only a teenager.

Is it possible that in Hoglander and Podkolzin, the Canucks have actually 'hit' on two top-six forwards out of the same draft? Certainly looking that way.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
You are diverging from the common dogma that Juolevi was a wasted pick.

Stop it, it's so confusing.
He wasnt wasted. Just the wrong pick. If he never got hurt when he did and how much he did he very well could have been the right pick, but we will never know.

Nov 1, 2011
a new GM probably trades Miller and Horvat for picks. They are both what , 8 years already in the league? Halfway done their careers and we won’t be competing in the next 8 so may as well. This isn’t the core we are going to a finals and lose with. I honestly don’t think a single player on this roster will be with us the next time we make an appearance in SCF. All will be retired except maybe EP40 / QH43 who will likely have signed elsewhere for big money.

I just look at it and think a team built around what we currently have loses to the Colorado's of the league 10 out of 10 times.

IMO, we need to try and get a franchise player in 2022 or 2023 who would be supported by our core.

Problem is, were too good to be that bad without intentionally trading good pieces away for futures but not good enough to actually compete.

I'm hoping we can build a team based on the NJD model in the 90s. They were bad for a long time but lucked out when they traded their #3 defenseman, Tom Kurvers, for a 1st rounder a year and a half away (buying an Eric Lindross lottery ticket)...that 1st ended up 3rd overall and was Scott Niedermayer.

MTL did the same to get Guy Lafleur.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You are diverging from the common dogma that Juolevi was a wasted pick.

Stop it, it's so confusing.
isnt it...?...
200-4.gif

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Other than Juolevi's first period gaffe..I thought he settled in well for the rest of the game..His partner had a tougher game than he did.

Would've been nice if the Canuks could've insulated the new young D with a steady partner like Tanev. Myers is masking an already uphill battle even tougher for Juolevi/Rathbone.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Would've been nice if the Canuks could've insulated the new young D with a steady partner like Tanev. Myers is masking an already uphill battle even tougher for Juolevi/Rathbone.
Agreed...more than any other player, they missed Tanev the most..imo...Myers has had some good stretches of play this season (playing for 30 minutes when Edler went down comes to mind),..last night though, he was having problems with even the simplest of tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad