Rumor: Flames close to signing 23 year old KHL goalie Artyom Zagidulin

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Regular season means nothing "dudebro."
Yep... I hear that a lot (and in most cases its not true) and its what everyone was saying about Vegas going into the playoffs last year.
Sounds to me more like someone whistling while walking past a graveyard. Whistle all you want. Colorado is still unlikely to make it out of the 1st round if they play Calgary.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Now here's someone who hasn't watched the Flames goalies for the last couple of months. Rittich has been steadily good all season long and Smith who had a rough first 20 games has been playing much better for the last two months with a .922 Sv% in those 2 months and 16 games.

As to Colorado having one of the best lines in hockey... yes they do. However, shut down that one line and you shut down the team.

Calgary's GF= 275, Colorado's GF= 247
Calgary's GA= 216, Colorado's GA= 234

Calgary with 103 pts = 3rd overall in league standings, Colorado with 85 pts = 17th overall in league standings

Calgary has 5 players with 70+ pts, Colorado has 3 players with 70+ pts

View attachment 206593

Good luck. Colorado is going to need it in the 1st round against the Flames.
I don't watch the Flames or the Avalanche, in fact I strongly dislike the Avalanche. What is funny here is the Flames fan above saying LV will take out SJ "easily." Big talk from a guy whose team has made the playoffs two times in nine years and has one series victory dating back to their run to the Cup Finals in 2004.

Dose of reality will hit when the playoffs start. Nothing is easy. Good luck shutting that top line down, you're gonna need it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't watch the Flames or the Avalanche, in fact I strongly dislike the Avalanche. What is funny here is the Flames fan above saying LV will take out SJ "easily." Big talk from a guy whose team has made the playoffs two times in nine years and has one series victory dating back to their run to the Cup Finals in 2004.

Dose of reality will hit when the playoffs start. Nothing is easy. Good luck shutting that top line down, you're gonna need it.
This tells me all I need to know with regards to the value of your opinion on either of these teams.

Know it all stats watchers.. sheesh.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Shh... SJ is finally starting to fly under the radar. Let the Flames and Knights get all the attention.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This tells me all I need to know with regards to the value of your opinion on either of these teams.

Know it all stats watchers.. sheesh.
I suppose you're the pinnacle of not being biased though? How often do you watch Colorado?

Lol, or years of experience making the playoffs just to get bounced in the 1st round no matter what seed. Hell, my team beat a Western Conference top 2 seed in the 2014 and 2015 playoffs when they were a Wild Card team. Believe what you want about the regular season. It doesn't mean anything in the playoffs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Shh... SJ is finally starting to fly under the radar. Let the Flames and Knights get all the attention.
Right now MAF is injured (injured on Mar 17) and there is no timeline for his return. If MAF is not available for the 1st round series and Vegas has to play Subban the Sharks odds of winning that series just went up tremendously. If MAF is healthy and if I was a betting man, I'd place my money on a Vegas win. Fleury is much better than Jones and the TDL pick up of Stone has really improved the Vegas offense.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Right now MAF is injured (injured on Mar 17) and there is no timeline for his return. If MAF is not available for the 1st round series and Vegas has to play Subban the Sharks odds of winning that series just went up tremendously. If MAF is healthy and if I was a betting man, I'd place my money on a Vegas win. Fleury is much better than Jones and the TDL pick up of Stone has really improved the Vegas offense.
I know Jones has been downright awful this season, but generally he's actually quite good in the playoffs. I'm going to reserve judgement. All this talk of " SJ getting killed" is amusing though. Vegas is generally a bad matchup for SJ though. Karlsson coming back healthy changes things. We've gone basically half the year without Karlsson, or with him adjusting.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know Jones has been downright awful this season, but generally he's actually quite good in the playoffs. I'm going to reserve judgement. All this talk of " SJ getting killed" is amusing though. Vegas is generally a bad matchup for SJ though. Karlsson coming back healthy changes things. We've gone basically half the year without Karlsson, or with him adjusting.

Jones was also a good regular season goalie those years. To say things just turn around in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now here's someone who hasn't watched the Flames goalies for the last couple of months. Rittich has been steadily good all season long and Smith who had a rough first 20 games has been playing much better for the last two months with a .922 Sv% in those 2 months and 16 games.

As to Colorado having one of the best lines in hockey... yes they do. However, shut down that one line and you shut down the team.

Calgary's GF= 275, Colorado's GF= 247
Calgary's GA= 216, Colorado's GA= 234

Calgary with 103 pts = 3rd overall in league standings, Colorado with 85 pts = 17th overall in league standings

Calgary has 5 players with 70+ pts, Colorado has 3 players with 70+ pts

View attachment 206593

Good luck. Colorado is going to need it in the 1st round against the Flames.

I mean... All this post really does is further illustrate that the Avs would have a real shot at upsetting the Flames if they met in the first round.

All 3 regular season games were 1 goal games(Excluding the empty net goal in Game 3)... And in 2/3 of those games the Avs goaltending was flat out the sole reason they lost.

Let me put it this way... If the last game between the two teams this season was any indication, the Flames are going to have a tonne of work to do if they want to win the series. They managed all of just 16 shots on goal against the Avs in that game compared to 35 for the Avs, and still won solely on behalf of Semyon Varlamov laying down a complete stinker for an effort...

With Grubauer being the goalie now and one of the best in the league for over a month now... Flames had better hope they can match up better then they did before.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I mean... All this post really does is further illustrate that the Avs would have a real shot at upsetting the Flames if they met in the first round.

All 3 regular season games were 1 goal games(Excluding the empty net goal in Game 3)... And in 2/3 of those games the Avs goaltending was flat out the sole reason they lost.

Let me put it this way... If the last game between the two teams this season was any indication, the Flames are going to have a tonne of work to do if they want to win the series. They managed all of just 16 shots on goal against the Avs in that game compared to 35 for the Avs, and still won solely on behalf of Semyon Varlamov laying down a complete stinker for an effort...

With Grubauer being the goalie now and one of the best in the league for over a month now... Flames had better hope they can match up better then they did before.
You are correct in that any team can upset another in the playoffs. One need look no further than the Kings 2012 Stanley Cup win.

Anyways I'm not exactly sure how this thread got so far off topic from a possible sgning of a khl goalie to a Calgary- Colorado playoff match up.

I look forward to discussing this further once match ups are fixed and playoff threads are started.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

You are correct in that any team can upset another in the playoffs. One need look no further than the Kings 2012 Stanley Cup win.

Anyways I'm not exactly sure how this thread got so far off topic from a possible sgning of a khl goalie to a Calgary- Colorado playoff match up.

I look forward to discussing this further once match ups are fixed and playoff threads are started.

I know you guys didn’t start the derailment of this thread but this is supposed to be about a goalie prospect

Edit: I didn’t even see you addressed it in your post @Rubi lol I need to start drinking again too hungover for HF

Reactions: Rubi

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This was a very wise move by the Flames considering Smith is....... well...... he's Smith. Oh, AND he's 37 and a UFA. We won't know how this move works out til later but cheers to the Flames brass for thinking ahead.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's been notably better in the postseason than during season though.
Most goalies stats are better in the playoffs.. their stats look better because teams tighten up defensively in the playoffs. The goalies don't get better.. the team defense in front of them does.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Most goalies stats are better in the playoffs.. their stats look better because teams tighten up defensively in the playoffs. The goalies don't get better.. the team defense in front of them does.
I'm not talking stat watching. I'm talking about how he outright wins games or keeps us in games we shouldn't be in.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The Flames top line is just as good. And what makes the Flames better, is the second line shutting down the top line especially having 4 home games guaranteed.
2 home games are guaranteed... Can't guarantee the series goes 7 games. Can't even guarantee it goes to 5 no matter who wins.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think we all have to take Artyom Zagidulin's stats with a LARGE grain of salt, particularly when you look at other goalie stats in the KHL.
Capture.JPG

Its not surprising that KHL goalie numbers look so good. Take a look at the KHL scoring stats. Nigel Dawes, for Christ's sake, is the 2nd leading scorer in the league and he's 33 years old... LOL

Nigel Dawes... a borderline NHL player with 39 goals and 45 assists in 212 NHL games.
Capture1.JPG

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->