Claimed off Waivers: Flames claim Chris Stewart

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would say he's a typical Burke player. IMO the biggest reason Burke grabbed him is so that his old buddy Carlyle in Anaheim couldn't. I don't think Calgary really needs him.

Apparently, San Jose also had a claim in on him. I wonder if Kane would have been traded to Calgary instead had the waiver priority been a little bit different...

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
At the start of the season, when the Wild were missing most of their top 6, Stewart filled in admirably. Had 6 goals by October 21. Given a chance, the guy has some good hands.

He slid back down the roster as players came back, and the goals dried up.

Except for shootouts. Went 3 for his first 3. Finally stopped in the 10 rounder a couple weeks ago.

Will be missed.

Reactions: Reinhart

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Apparently, San Jose also had a claim in on him. I wonder if Kane would have been traded to Calgary instead had the waiver priority been a little bit different...
I know that this isn't really what you were getting at, but the idea that Evander Kane might be a consolation prize after missing out on Chris Stewart is as delightful as it is unlikely.

Reactions: Foppberg

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I know that this isn't really what you were getting at, but the idea that Evander Kane might be a consolation prize after missing out on Chris Stewart is as delightful as it is unlikely.

You have to factor in the price.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You have to factor in the price.
Oh I know, which is why I said I knew that wasn't really what he was implying. If I were the Flames I'd take a free, highly-motivated Chris Stewart over a trade for Evander Kane every day of the week. I think the Sharks will be happy with Kane at the price they paid, too.

Reactions: Kahvi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would say he's a typical Burke player. IMO the biggest reason Burke grabbed him is so that his old buddy Carlyle in Anaheim couldn't. I don't think Calgary really needs him.
Burke didn't claim him, Treliving did. Repeat after me, "Brian Burke is not the Flames GM".

Reactions: btimbit

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What are you referring to?

I'm referring to your offhand comment about it being "silly" to waive Jagr and then claim Stewart, as if the two situations are somehow comparable. Jagr was injured often, in and out of the lineup like a yo-yo, and frankly when he was in the lineup failed to show he could compete at the NHL level. I know it's some sort of sacrilege to talk ill of the legend that is Jagr but he couldn't cut it. He was just too many steps behind.

Stewart, however, is an NHL player. He has as many goals this year as Jagr did points. He's got a massive frame, he plays RW which is an area of weakness for the Flames, so he fills a need and to acquire him at literally no cost means this is far from a silly move.

Reactions: Method Man

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
You're dreaming if you think that Burke doesn't pull the strings in Calgary!

The strings that hired Brad Treliving to do the GM job?
I’m sure he weighs in during meetings like the coaching staff but he’s not doing Brads job for him.

Reactions: btimbit

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Stewart is a great 4th liner and teammate. Not sure why this guy bounces from being overpaid "maybe he can play in the top-9" to "he is hanging on for a role in this league." He should make 800k and yet have plenty of teams lining up for his services. I guess its his inability to play the PK that really hamstrings him.

Aug 3, 2010
Cool, so the "full autonomy" clause means nothing in Treliving's contract.

Unrelated but I'd love to hear your views on the shape of Earth, vapour trails, 9/11, and evolution sometime.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm referring to your offhand comment about it being "silly" to waive Jagr and then claim Stewart, as if the two situations are somehow comparable. Jagr was injured often, in and out of the lineup like a yo-yo, and frankly when he was in the lineup failed to show he could compete at the NHL level. I know it's some sort of sacrilege to talk ill of the legend that is Jagr but he couldn't cut it. He was just too many steps behind.

Stewart, however, is an NHL player. He has as many goals this year as Jagr did points. He's got a massive frame, he plays RW which is an area of weakness for the Flames, so he fills a need and to acquire him at literally no cost means this is far from a silly move.

Jagr is a better hockey player than Chris Stewart for my money and did a ton a good things when he was able to play. If he's hurt he's hurt then put him on IR.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Flames found their new top line right winger.

(I'm not even joking)

The stupidity continuous in Calgary. Bennett was looking great on that line (waited all season for his chance to play there) and then they bring in a journey man 4th liner and he's gifted the spot.

I cannot wait for them to miss the playoffs and for GG to get fired. They deserve it at this point.

Reactions: north49er

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

LOL

So why does Burke, Treliving, King etc. say that isn't true?

Why do they have to lie about it? If they wanted Burke to be the GM and make all the decisions why not do that?

Your theory makes zero sense and involves a lot of unnecessary lying, Treliving allowing Burke to makes moves in his name for seemingly zero benefit and a whole lot of cloak and dagger for nothing?

If this is the case how come it has never come out other than bitter fans of other teams (usually TO)? Wouldn't at some point a report come out that Burke is the guy teams have to talk to when making deals instead of all the reports of Treliving being a guy that works hard and is always working the phones and in on a lot of things?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Flames found their new top line right winger.

(I'm not even joking)

Or they are trying to see where guys fit and having him replace the guy who is out short term (Ferland) which makes complete sense.

But it isn't as fun as overreacting and going with the super hot take of Stewart being the "new top line winger."

Reactions: Reinhart

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The stupidity continuous in Calgary. Bennett was looking great on that line (waited all season for his chance to play there) and then they bring in a journey man 4th liner and he's gifted the spot.

I cannot wait for them to miss the playoffs and for GG to get fired. They deserve it at this point.

He didn't look great he looked better than he did playing with plugs. He was still the clear passenger on the line just like Ferland has been all season.

It is good to know that he can do an adequate job if needed to fill in there and can keep up with better linemates but it wasn't like he was creating offense or driving play so much that he showed he needs to stay there.

GG is a terrible coach but this decision is not one of his bad moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad