Confirmed with Link: Flames claim Chris Stewart off waivers

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Until the standings are decided, I don't see it as a fully "previous move", though. The full value of the pick isn't decided until the team's playoff status is decided. The team is obviously trying to be competitive right now, and I understand playing a longer game, but if you're not going to commit to better TDL acquisitions than a hugely flawed waiver wire pickup and a 4th line C, you should probably lottery protect the 1st you're trading away.

Really, although I'm arguing that BT should have bolstered the roster more as insurance that the Flames make the playoffs, my fundamental issue with the whole thing is that he inexplicably traded an unprotected 1st for Travis Hamonic, who has always been a 2nd pairing D at best (albeit a good one), and had been struggling in recent seasons.

Other than those years he lead the Islanders to the play-offs playing the most minutes of any of their defense, right?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is so far from actual logic. He traded this year's first for Hamonic, who is under control for three years, as are all of our top 5 defencemen and our core forwards, pretty much. How does this equal needing to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs this one season? Not having a first round pick doesn't mean you're automatically in an all-in situation. It means that you have no incentive to lose, sure, but it doesn't add incentive to win. The Flames get nothing more or less out of that deal if we finish dead last vs. first. The Islanders are the ones who should care, but for the Flames, at this point, it makes no difference whatsoever.

O.

Maybe but for BT it does, I am sure noone wants to be the fool that traded away Rasmus Dahlin (or a top 5 pick) and missed the playoff

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If Edmonton get Dahlin, I could see them trading Yamamoto and Dahlin for Karlsson.

I would hope he would include them in his 10 team no trade list. Maybe it's the Flames fan talking, but I really can't think of a player in the league that would want to play for the Edmonton Oilers at this point. They're unfixable.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That wasn't the discussion, though. You're speaking of whether or not you like the trade. The discussion going on was whether Treliving should have been aggressive at the deadline specifically because he didn't have a first-rounder.
I still think he potentially should've been more aggressive (taking into account the fact that we have no idea what kind of availability or prices he encountered).

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I still think he potentially should've been more aggressive (taking into account the fact that we have no idea what kind of availability or prices he encountered).
I think the way it works is this. He paid a heavy price because he was getting Hamonic for so long. That heavy cost is that we basically lose a year of future assets. We have to just accept that as the cost for improving the team for at least three years. If we made a deal this year, we'd be extending that out so we lose future assets in further years, too. Standing pat means that as of next year, we will have our player in Hamonic and also have a full stable of assets to improve the team. That is a much better position to be aggressive from.

Reactions: Janks

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
To add. Do people realize how good Hamonic has been since he got through the learning curve? IMO, he's been our best defensive player (Gio is close too) for a good chunk of the year. He is a true shutdwon dman, wins every puck battle, rarely turns the puck over, and almost always gets us out of our zone smoothly. He's actually surpassing my expectations of him and he's been close to worth the price at this point. Add the fact that we have him at a great cap hit for another 2 years, he's an awesome piece moving forward. We just need to fix our forwards going into next year.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
To add. Do people realize how good Hamonic has been since he got through the learning curve? IMO, he's been our best defensive player (Gio is close too) for a good chunk of the year. He is a true shutdwon dman, wins every puck battle, rarely turns the puck over, and almost always gets us out of our zone smoothly. He's actually surpassing my expectations of him and he's been close to worth the price at this point. Add the fact that we have him at a great cap hit for another 2 years, he's an awesome piece moving forward. We just need to fix our forwards going into next year.
I would do that trade again a million times. You don't easily get a really good shutdown D who can also skate and move the puck.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

giphy.gif

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
How has Chris worked out for yall so far?

We only saw him in two games but he was pretty bad. If Kris Versteeg comes off the IR before the season ends I expect we waive Stewart as he looks worse than our other depth options (Lazar, Hathaway, Stajan).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We only saw him in two games but he was pretty bad. If Kris Versteeg comes off the IR before the season ends I expect we waive Stewart as he looks worse than our other depth options (Lazar, Hathaway, Stajan).
Versteeg is about to start a conditioning stint in Stockton, he's just started practicing there without a no-contact jersey

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Frolik is our best RW followed by Ferland. After that, we have Brouwer, Hathaway and Lazar. I’d put Brouwer as the best of those 3. I’m really starting to like what I’m seeing from Lazar as well. To answer your question though, the biggest hole on our forward group is the RW spot in our bottom 6. Stewart has not been able to earn a regular spot in in the lineup in recent games so that should tell you what you’re looking for.

He’s been fine I suppose, but largely ineffective. If the guy could play to his potential, it would be a nice to add for us, but he’s been in that inconsistent mode right now (which is a pattern for him) so he’s of little use to us. If Versteeg comes back over the next 2 weeks I expect Stewart to be waived.

I think members on this board were expecting Stewart to come here and be a big body and provide a presence on the ice. That’s not really his game. When he’s engaged he can absolutely make a difference and make his presence felt, but he’s not really a banger. A skilled guy with a great shot, but also a floater at times which is tough for any team to endure.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

He hasn't been bad but he hasn't given the team much reason to play him either.

I would say he looks like a guy that was on waivers but had interest. I don't think there would be much difference between him or Hathaway or Brouwer in the line-up but like I said he hasn't really done much to give GG a reason to take out either of his two favorite guys.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He hasn't been bad but he hasn't given the team much reason to play him either.

I would say he looks like a guy that was on waivers but had interest. I don't think there would be much difference between him or Hathaway or Brouwer in the line-up but like I said he hasn't really done much to give GG a reason to take out either of his two favorite guys.

Brouwer is better than Stewart by a good margin. Hathaway is beyond useless.

It's sad that Stewart is all BT can do knowing how much this team needs help
We are going to be miserable for a while

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brouwer is not better than the average beer leaguer by a good margin let alone a NHLer like Stewart.

Stewart may not do much but he is a much better scorer than Brouwer and at least with Stewart GG isn't forcing him out on the PK like he does with Brouwer.

So GG idiocy is on brouwer?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
, Brouwer is actually fairly decent on the PK.

He really isn't. He just plays on the PK and occasionally makes decent plays because he is out there so often. Statistically there's no evidence that on a macro level you want Brouwer killing penalties.

I don't think Stewart is all that great either though. Shore is probably our best pickup of the TDL and he has been buried.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ignoring the hyperbole in the first part of your post, Brouwer is actually fairly decent on the PK.

The PK was not hyperbole I truly see him as terrible on the PK, not just bad but really awful. I think the defense bails him out alot so the numbers might not look bad but watching him he is so slow in terms of foot speed and covering guys, so slow in terms of reading the play that he really offers nothing other than a big body that can sometimes block terrible shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->