Confirmed with Link: Flames claim Chris Stewart off waivers

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don’t even dislike Stewart, Bennett has just done nothing to warrant taking him off the line. He’s added some pop and looked good on the line. A player like Stewart, should earn the minutes on the topline. It sends a bad message.

Agreed 100%. If Bennett had looked terrible the past two games I wouldn't care, but the fact that he's getting bumped "just because", irks me to no end. Let the kid settle, if he struggles mid game or the top line isn't vibing, make that call mid game to switch things up.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Janks

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If this sours the Bennett relationship with the Flames that speaks pretty poorly on him more than anything.

I really think this has more to do with it making sense to have Stewart as a placeholder for Ferland and putting Gaudreau back his natural LW spot rather than trying to punish Bennett or show him anything.

I don't see Bennett as being a good long term fit on that line so why not try and get him into the role that he will be playing for the team down the stretch and (hopefully) into the play-offs.

I think the bigger issue should be not that Stewart is taking Ferland's spot on the top line (to start the game) but that Bennett is back with the Jankowski-Hathaway line that hasn't worked all season long. If there is a concern with his development putting that trio back together is much worse for him than taking him off the top line.

Why they keep running out basically the same lines that have provided us with zero secondary scoring all year long without trying something new is beyond me. GG's stubborness to waste Tkachuk on the 3M line and force us to play 2 weak bottom 6 lines because of it (and his insistance on Brouwer and Stajan) is 1000 times more frustrating than taking Bennett of the top line.

Reactions: The Gnome

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gulutzan is a bad person. Nothing more to be said, he is just a bad bad person.

#badperson

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I am firmly in the fire GG camp heading into next season. But this isn't the decision to hinge that firing on. He's just trying to see if there is a fit. You guys make it seem like Bennett had 6 points in the last 2 games on the top line. He's been decent there, if Stewart is dragging down the top line, you'll all be happy to see Bennett brought back up.

I can't stand GG, but I highly doubt he'll let this potential failed experiment linger for long. I know we've seen those before, but he's going to try and find a fit for Stewart on whichever line he gels with.

EDIT: Or doesn't gel with and eats popcorn. If he clicks anywhere in our lineup it's found money for the flames. I'm excited at the possibility of getting a motivated Chris Stewart. If not, well that sucks, but it cost us nothing...so...:dunno:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m not even super pissed or anything, because I think Stewart could be a good fit with those two... I’m just kind of confused by the change more than anything.

I didn’t want to really start a debate or anything. I just think Benny earned a longer look with Johnny.

Reactions: Janks

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gully gave Stewie this shot because he shoots right, solid reasoning. Dude hasn't even had a practice with the team yet.

I am sure there isn't a single better person at building a roster on a computer than Gully, at that he would be coach of the year.

200.gif

Reactions: snipetype

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
the reactions on here are the best. Everyone needs to chill, if Stewart looks out of place, his spot on the top line will be gone within a period. If Bennett cannot handle an audition for the 'new guy' that has me more worried than anything.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I guess the rationale is that Stewart is more or less Ferland-lite - skates hard, has a shot, plays the body and will run the net. So I can see where Gulutzan is coming from. The problem is that he's actually Ferland-lite-lite.

How about... gee, I don't know... Matthew Tkachuk on the first line? This isn't rocket science.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
the reactions on here are the best. Everyone needs to chill, if Stewart looks out of place, his spot on the top line will be gone within a period. If Bennett cannot handle an audition for the 'new guy' that has me more worried than anything.
My biggest question is why is the new guy, who has 1 practice under his belt, removing Benny from starting on the top line.

Is it because he's a star player? - Nope, he was waived by a WC team and is a RHS.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
My biggest question is why is the new guy, who has 1 practice under his belt, removing Benny from starting on the top line.

Is it because he's a star player? - Nope, he was waived by a WC team and is a RHS.

GG said himself that it is more or less an audition, I don't see anything wrong with that. Again, if Bennett was an absolute monster over the last two games, I'd take issue with the decision. Worst case scenario, Stewart flops and we all laugh at how bad it looked for a couple shifts. I have a weird feeling he's gonna go all Jokinen in his first game :naughty:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Am I the only one that thinks Stewart is probably even a downgrade from Brouwer??

Not at all. Stewie should be our 13th when we get Versteeg or Ferland back. At least Brouwer isn't a liability defensively.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

But what exactly is his rationale? He hasn't practiced with this team, I mean he's been a healthy scratch in recent games, in no way shape or form has he earned to play on anyones topline in the NHL. However our coach, think it's a good idea because wait for it, he shoots RIGHT. Nothing else logical matters. The reasoning is so baffling, I just cannot understand it. Nevermind considering what this will do to Bennett's confidence who has done nothing to lose the spot. Gully should be building up a player with that kind of potential, not stripping it down. It is no wonder our team is so fragile with a guy like our coach in charge.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
But what exactly is his rationale? He hasn't practiced with this team, I mean he's been a healthy scratch in recent games, in no way shape or form has he earned to play on anyones topline in the NHL. However our coach, think it's a good idea because wait for it, he shoots RIGHT. Nothing else logical matters. The reasoning is so baffling, I just cannot understand it. Nevermind considering what this will do to Bennett's confidence who has done nothing to lose the spot. Gully should be building up a player with that kind of potential, not stripping it down. It is no wonder our team is so fragile with a guy like our coach in charge.

I disagree...Now if he leaves him there for an extended period of time and he sucks, that's a whole other issue. If Bennett cannot play hard on the 3rd line because his feelings are hurt, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. Which I can guarantee is not the case. You guys are acting like the sky is falling because Chris Stewart is going to get a few shifts to see if he clicks with our top line. Most likely scenario, based on how you all feel about Stewart, is that this experiment will be short lived and we'll move on. Best case scenario, we find a guy who takes his chance and runs with it, rounding out the Gaudreau-Monahan pairing with another serious threat. I cannot believe I'm the only one excited by this possibility, no matter how far fetched it may seem.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Can't wait for Stewart to score a goal tonight lol.

I don't know what would make me happier; Seeing the flames succeed because of the addition of Stewart, or watching the crow eating party on HF :laugh:

Again, i don't think it's likely, but it would be hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree...Now if he leaves him there for an extended period of time and he sucks, that's a whole other issue. If Bennett cannot play hard on the 3rd line because his feelings are hurt, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. Which I can guarantee is not the case. You guys are acting like the sky is falling because Chris Stewart is going to get a few shifts to see if he clicks with our top line. Most likely scenario, based on how you all feel about Stewart, is that this experiment will be short lived and we'll move on. Best case scenario, we find a guy who takes his chance and runs with it, rounding out the Gaudreau-Monahan pairing with another serious threat. I cannot believe I'm the only one excited by this possibility, no matter how far fetched it may seem.

My problem with it is the principle and the message it is sending.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I don't know what would make me happier; Seeing the flames succeed because of the addition of Stewart, or watching the crow eating party on HF :laugh:

Again, i don't think it's likely, but it would be hilarious and awesome at the same time.
I'd love to eat crow for this. I hope he takes the opportunity and absolutely kills it. If he can put up 5-10 goals over the next 19 games, I'll be thrilled.

I think he ticks a lot of boxes we need, I'm just cautious that it might piss off Benny (who I think will still be a very strong top 6 player) or that it might drag down Monahan/Johnny for however long it takes GG to realize a mistake was made.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd love to eat crow for this. I hope he takes the opportunity and absolutely kills it. If he can put up 5-10 goals over the next 19 games, I'll be thrilled.

I think he ticks a lot of boxes we need, I'm just cautious that it might piss off Benny (who I think will still be a very strong top 6 player) or that it might drag down Monahan/Johnny for however long it takes GG to realize a mistake was made.
I don't think so. Bennett's been pretty resilient. The organization has stood by him and repeatedly praised him in the media despite absolute piss-poor production at times (except when they got fed up with the penalties). As a professional, I'm 100% sure that he is aware that his performance has not met expectations ever since he was a rookie, and he seems like a pretty accountable kid.

Also, it's worth noting that there is zero chance that any of us on HFBoards know more about the kid's psychology right now than GG, and GG made this decision. GG is a player's coach who seems to revel in the psychology aspect of the job. I don't think he's going to work each day looking to demoralize players.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I don't think so. Bennett's been pretty resilient. The organization has stood by him and repeatedly praised him in the media despite absolute piss-poor production at times (except when they got fed up with the penalties). As a professional, I'm 100% sure that he is aware that his performance has not met expectations ever since he was a rookie, and he seems like a pretty accountable kid.

Also, it's worth noting that there is zero chance that any of us on HFBoards know more about the kid's psychology right now than GG, and GG made this decision. GG is a player's coach who seems to revel in the psychology aspect of the job. I don't think he's going to work each day looking to demoralize players.

Agreed with you on both points - I don't think he's going out of his way to upset Sam. I also agree he knows more about the inner workings of the locker room.

I just hope this isn't a thing that bites us in the butt where Sam requests a trade out because he's not seeing sufficient time on a line where he has seen some success.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Agreed with you on both points - I don't think he's going out of his way to upset Sam. I also agree he knows more about the inner workings of the locker room.

I just hope this isn't a thing that bites us in the butt where Sam requests a trade out because he's not seeing sufficient time on a line where he has seen some success.

I think it would be hard for him to make that claim. He's been on Gaudreau's line multiple times, and I think those two points the other day were his first two points in that situation ever. Hard to find exact statistics, though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's embarrassing to have a waiver pick up on your first line. GG is just hoping for some lottery luck.

GG doesn't believe in Bennett. They should just trade him if all they want from him is bottom 6

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I think it would be hard for him to make that claim. He's been on Gaudreau's line multiple times, and I think those two points the other day were his first two points in that situation ever. Hard to find exact statistics, though.
From naturalstattrick.com - he has 60.33 min with Money and 77.85 with Johnny. So about 4 games-ish. Not sure on points, still sorting through the data set at work.

His most frequent F teammate is Janks with 553.15 min and Hath with 258.67 min (followed by Jagr at 138.93 min, Brouwer at 105.95 min, Lazar at 105.07 and Ferly at 99.95 min)

That tells me he's had a very minimal stint with Johnny and Monahan over the season.

Data set here:
Sam Bennett - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
My problem with it is the principle and the message it is sending.

I understand and I disagree that it is sending a poor message. GGs message was we'll see where he fits. He's going to try him on the top unit first, and then go from there. I can guarantee Sam Bennett has zero issue with his "demotion", if you even want to call it that after two games of mediocrity on the 1st line. Look, I'm one of the bigger Sam Bennett fans on this board, and was very vocal about not trading him at the TDL, because he has a ton of potential. But at best right now, he's a middle six player with upside (due to his age and experience). If he had lit the world on fire the last two games, then yes, GG would be sending a poor message to his players. If the Stewart experiment works out, then that is a huge boon for our 1st and 3rd line because Bennett was clearly the driver for our 3rd. If it doesn't work out, then I assume Bennett goes back to the top line, in which case this whole uproar is rendered pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad