Confirmed with Link: Flames claim Chris Stewart off waivers

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Considering the likely ask. If we gave up a conditional 7th or our other 7th next year, I don't think I'd skip a beat.

Calgary now has an absurd amount of bottom 6 players; just hoping that three of them outside of Janko/Stajan stick would be great.

Stewart
Hathaway
Lazar
Brouwer
Glass
Versteeg

That's like a who's who of guys who'd have a chance at representing Canada/US in a Spengler Cup or non-NHL Olympics.

Stajan and Versteeg are probably gone next year. In an ideal world Bennett is unreal on the first line and we can add a right winger this summer. I would even pay more to get Brouwer going back the other way. Would leave this for next year

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-XXX
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Lazar

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Saw on reddit that Stewart is practicing with Johnny and Monahan - not happy with taking Bennett off after 2 decent games. Hopefully it's nothing/someone is making it up.

Reactions: tmurfin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Saw on reddit that Stewart is practicing with Johnny and Monahan - not happy with taking Bennett off after 2 decent games. Hopefully it's nothing/someone is making it up.

It's all over Twitter. That's a complete Gulutzan move; again obsessed with handedness.
Go from a guy who's been an excellent piece to the top line, to a guy we picked up on waivers.

That's right, from pressbox and waivers, to playing with one of the top 2 skilled wingers in the game and one of the best finishers.

Why are the lines not:

Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Chucky - Backlund - Frolik
Stewart - Jankowski - Hathaway
4th line.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, here's Wes' tweet:

I have zero issues with this. As I said a couple games ago, I didn't really see any solid chemistry between Bennett and the other two. So you restore the chemistry of the third line (which has been a black hole without Bennett) and give Stewart a shot.

Honestly, lines in the NHL these days are all about duos, not trios. Gaudreau and Monahan, if they're both skating, will have their good chances every game no matter who they're playing with.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
It's all over Twitter. That's a complete Gulutzan move; again obsessed with handedness.
Go from a guy who's been an excellent piece to the top line, to a guy we picked up on waivers.

That's right, from pressbox and waivers, to playing with one of the top 2 skilled wingers in the game and one of the best finishers.

Why are the lines not:

Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Chucky - Backlund - Frolik
Stewart - Jankowski - Hathaway
4th line.
Awesome - guess it really is happening. Hopefully Bennett starts tonight on the top line and this practice is just to have him learn the system from our top players.

I'm tired of GG and his handedness fetish.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, here's Wes' tweet:

I have zero issues with this. As I said a couple games ago, I didn't really see any solid chemistry between Bennett and the other two. So you restore the chemistry of the third line (which has been a black hole without Bennett) and give Stewart a shot.

Honestly, lines in the NHL these days are all about duos, not trios. Gaudreau and Monahan, if they're both skating, will have their good chances every game no matter who they're playing with.

It may be about duos, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Stewart isn't a top line player. I think it also sends a poor message to Bennett. Despite him getting 2 points in 2 games on the top line, he's bumped by waiver fodder.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It may be about duos, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Stewart isn't a top line player. I think it also sends a poor message to Bennett. Despite him getting 2 points in 2 games on the top line, he's bumped by waiver fodder.

I mean, it was always a temporary situation. He's a centre/left wing and Johnny is a left wing. And again, it's not about production of one line.

Of course Stewart isn't, in and of himself, a first-liner. The Flames are going for fit here, and they're trying to balance scoring. Maybe just see if it works before dumping all over it? My guess is that if they don't see results in the first, Bennett will be on the top line by the second. But I don't think Bennett is very good on that line, so I don't think that's exactly going to fix anything.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean, it was always a temporary situation. He's a centre/left wing and Johnny is a left wing. And again, it's not about production of one line.

Of course Stewart isn't, in and of himself, a first-liner. The Flames are going for fit here, and they're trying to balance scoring. Maybe just see if it works before dumping all over it? My guess is that if they don't see results in the first, Bennett will be on the top line by the second. But I don't think Bennett is very good on that line, so I don't think that's exactly going to fix anything.

It's just kind of shitty how far we've strayed away from the 'earned never given' even though it was bogus to begin with.
Bennett down the lineup, gives the bottom of the lineup a bit more of a punch; but I'd really like to see the kid given some extended time with Gaudreau this year. He's really only played with him 3 times. Each time the Flames have won, and the top line's looked dominant.

I'd love for Stewart to come in and be a force with Mony and Johnny; but it's just shitty to see something that's working get thrown out to just try it.

Reactions: Cyrano and Janks

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As much as I want to criticize GG, I think it is a fine move.

Bennett looked better on the top line than he had with the plugs he has played with all year it wasn't like he was driving play or creating, he fit in with two better players who were still the guys making the plays.

It's encouraging to see that he can fit in there with those guys but I don't think it means he should be put in there automatically, especially if Ferland is coming back soon and they are just going to put him back there anyways.

That said rather than go with the poor Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway line I would prefer to see Bennett paired with Tkachuk somehow.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's just kind of ****ty how far we've strayed away from the 'earned never given' even though it was bogus to begin with.
Bennett down the lineup, gives the bottom of the lineup a bit more of a punch; but I'd really like to see the kid given some extended time with Gaudreau this year. He's really only played with him 3 times. Each time the Flames have won, and the top line's looked dominant.

I'd love for Stewart to come in and be a force with Mony and Johnny; but it's just ****ty to see something that's working get thrown out to just try it.

Not sure why people still refer to Hartley's slogans.

Regardless, though, the goal is to win the games, not check some kind of sentimental box. If this is going to lead to the most effective lineup, then who cares what Stewart has been doing for Minnesota lately?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
It's just kind of ****ty how far we've strayed away from the 'earned never given' even though it was bogus to begin with.

I'd love for Stewart to come in and be a force with Mony and Johnny; but it's just ****ty to see something that's working get thrown out to just try it.
Agreed with this. We've played Benny on the top line, seen flashes of good play and then shifted him down the lineup with worse players. Then people get all up in arms about his lack of production and want him run out of town.

If I was Sam, I'd be pissed if this turns into sustained time for Stewart if things don't blow everyone out of the water.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not sure why people still refer to Hartley's slogans.

Because the way they misuse it allows for them to justify all their opinions.

"Never given, always earned" has turned into to "my favorite guy made a good play so he should be given 1st PP, 1st line, captaincy and immediately put into the HHOF" and if it isn't done two games ago it is proof that the team favors the guy I don't like and is 100% the reason we lose every game.

Take a look at some other places and see the levels that Bennett is now being raised to based on those two games. You would think that he threw Gaudreau and Monahan on his back and single handidly scored 15 goals a period during that time.

It is a cheap line (like most of Hartley's crap) that people can use to take the focus away from what is really happening and spin the narrative the way they like.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No disrespect to Stewart, because he always seemed to burn us, but he's been scratched a bunch this season and is hovering on 10 mins of ice time per game. Why is GG putting him on the first line when we're trying to get on a bit of a roll here?

Seems ridiculous to me because I fully expect GG to wait forever to move him down if he flounders on the top line

Reactions: Cyrano and Janks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No disrespect to Stewart, because he always seemed to burn us, but he's been scratched a bunch this season and is hovering on 10 mins of ice time per game. Why is GG putting him on the first line when we're trying to get on a bit of a roll here?

Seems ridiculous to me because I fully expect GG to wait forever to move him down if he flounders on the top line

Because he’s old and crusty, and if you haven’t noticed, Gully loves his old useless players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because he’s old and crusty, and if you haven’t noticed, Gully loves his old useless players.
Or maybe its because in the short time Stewart played in the top 6 in Minny this year he produced? But keep complaining for no reason :thumbu:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Based on what?

Isn't the first part of your argument that GG took Bennett off the first line to fast? So does GG wait to long or react to quick? Or does it just change to fit whatever narrative you are trying to fit?

I mean I hate GG, hate how much he plays Brouwer and Stajan, hate his love for the 4th line/3rd pair match etc. but he has said that Stewart will likely move around to find a fit, doesn't that seem like he is already addressing you fear? Unless you have reason to believe that he is a liar.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This is so typical. Terrible move by Gully, he can’t be gone fast enough.

If we miss the playoffs, or make it and don't show up, he better be gone. And honestly if Treliving chooses Glen f***in Gulutzan as his hill to die on? He can pack it in too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we miss the playoffs, or make it and don't show up, he better be gone. And honestly if Treliving chooses Glen ****in Gulutzan as his hill to die on? He can pack it in too.

I don’t even dislike Stewart, Bennett has just done nothing to warrant taking him off the line. He’s added some pop and looked good on the line. A player like Stewart, should earn the minutes on the topline. It sends a bad message.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
This is so typical. Terrible move by Gully, he can’t be gone fast enough.

I don't think it's terrible. He's simply trying to catch lightning in a bottle and seeing if Stewart can bring his A game on our top unit. Can you imagine what this would do to our lineup if it actually worked out?! Big, strong, PWF with a canon of a RHS on our top line...sign me up. If the experiment fails, I fully believe he'll be in the bottom six in less than a period with bennett moving back up.

Honestly, if Stewart can simply park his large ass in front of the net while our stars work a bit of magic I wouldn't be surprised to see him come away with a couple of points this game.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I don’t even dislike Stewart, Bennett has just done nothing to warrant taking him off the line. He’s added some pop and looked good on the line. A player like Stewart, should earn the minutes on the topline. It sends a bad message.
Agreed - Stewart was a great add IMO. If he can provide few goals, some grit and a RHS - I consider it a win. Anything better than 5 goals in 19 games seems like a win to me.

The downside is you're further showing Bennett that literally every option is better than him. I'm sure there was a reason Stewart was 3/4th line and waived by MIN - it's not like we magically picked up a guy who is everything we've been waiting for since losing Iggy.

I'm hopeful that he proves me 100% wring, I just think it could potentially sour a relationship with Benny (despite him playing relatively well in his 2 games on the top line).

Edit - One thing I absolutely love about the CFHF Board is that despite people disagreeing with others, everyone wants the team to do well at the end of the day and is supportive of others ideas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad