Confirmed with Link: Flames claim Chris Stewart off waivers

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah. HFBoards was a disaster for past day or two.
I don't mind this move. I can see Stewart being real motivated down the stretch here. Big, strong guy with some good hands.
For some reason, he's one of those players I thought would make his way to the Flames eventually, and here he is. lol. He always seemed to score against the Flames in pretty much every game against him.

Like his quotes after the claim as well.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames are a versatile team. We can play big with some guys if we need to but we can play fast with other guys if we need to.

I am still positive that the biggest thing for this team is for TJ Brodie to start playing more loose and offensively, because TJ Brodie is the kind of player who can (and has) dominate(d) a playoff series enough to tip the scale and take us all the way to the Cup.

Sucks we never picked up Paul Byron tho.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Couldn't make the Minnesota Wild. Very little chance he'll be a difference maker here, even if he's an upgrade on Hathaway. Always struck me as the top 9 forward who never was.

But hey, free depth is free depth.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
0 risk. Motivated player looking for a contract. He should be hungry given a new opportunity

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Couldn't make the Minnesota Wild. Very little chance he'll be a difference maker here, even if he's an upgrade on Hathaway. Always struck me as the top 9 forward who never was.

Yeah, we have such great secondary scoring/depth.....Brouwer, Stajan, Hathaway, Lazar, Lomberg, Mangipane...etc...such depth

It's a free shot...may not work but cost nothing

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I like this move solely for the 3rd line depth. Instantly an upgrade over Hathaway who should be on the 4th line.

I know Flames fans wanted Hoffman or even E. Kane, but if Bennett stays on the top line there is no need for Hoffman or E. Kane on the 3rd line (when considering the acquisition cost) when we can have Stewart on the 3rd for free, hopefully with Janko and Ferland. Not saying Stewart is anywhere near as talent as Kane or Hoffman, but for a 3rd liner/depth guy, I'll take him for free over a rental Kane which would have wasted more draft picks we can't afford to lose.

If he is a bum you pressbox him or send him down and are out nothing.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm glad GMBT didn't do anything too crazy today. I don't mind not giving anything up. He basically showed everyone on the team that he has faith in them and it's up to them to go out and get it done. Hopefully it's the kick in the pants that everyone needs.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I like this. No risk pickup for a free asset on an expiring deal. If he comes in motivated, which he sounds, could be a good addition to the bottom 6.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I’m higher on Stewart then most. He can address a lot of needs if motivated. Grit, simply having size, and a canon of a shot. Even if he can hold down a roster spot and help the PP, it’ll be a boost.

He’s also a RHS, that is lethal when he has space to get it off.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The only thing that is odd to me is that the Flames now have a pretty much interchangeable set of 4RWs in Hathaway, Brouwer, Stewart, and Lazar for the 3/4 RW spots.

Plus Versteeg is still coming back.

I hope Stewart gets a chance to at least prove that he sucks before he gets pressboxed for Brouwer but I do think really have faith in GG evaluating/deploying his bottom sixers correctly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't mind this move, I'm not sure if I would if we gave up an asset though. I like that is a RHS that can play both wings, I like that he has size and I like that he's in a situation where he has to preform or he's unlikely to get a contract for next year.

I suspect that initially we see Stewart play LW due to Ferland being out and debut on the 3rd line with Jankowski and Shore.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't mind this move, I'm not sure if I would if we gave up an asset though. I like that is a RHS that can play both wings, I like that he has size and I like that he's in a situation where he has to preform or he's unlikely to get a contract for next year.

I suspect that initially we see Stewart play LW due to Ferland being out and debut on the 3rd line with Jankowski and Shore.

Considering the likely ask. If we gave up a conditional 7th or our other 7th next year, I don't think I'd skip a beat.

Calgary now has an absurd amount of bottom 6 players; just hoping that three of them outside of Janko/Stajan stick would be great.

Stewart
Hathaway
Lazar
Brouwer
Glass
Versteeg

That's like a who's who of guys who'd have a chance at representing Canada/US in a Spengler Cup or non-NHL Olympics.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh was it? I didn't pay any attention to anything except the claim itself.

I think Kristen Anderson first mentioned it around 10:50 yesterday, he was claimed at 10.
I mean, it's really not important news or anything :laugh:

I will add, I do like his toughness. When we played Vegas last, I thought Deryk Engelland was taking a few too many liberties out there with physicality, and with no heavyweight in the lineup; goons can do that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Kristen Anderson first mentioned it around 10:50 yesterday, he was claimed at 10.
I mean, it's really not important news or anything :laugh:

I will add, I do like his toughness. When we played Vegas last, I thought Deryk Engelland was taking a few too many liberties out there with physicality, and with no heavyweight in the lineup; goons can do that.
I agree that we could use the toughness, I think that is also why we kept Glass up too (he was not one of the paper transaction yesterday, so he is ineligible for the AHL playoffs), especially with Ferland out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad