Post-Game Talk: Flames @ Capitals 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Orpik is pretty ****ing low on the issues list tonight. The numbers are what they are, but there are giant issues well ahead of him.

I agree that there are deeper issues on a macro level such as coaching, low-to-high system that generates few high quality chances, confidence issues across the board, a putrid 4th line, Backstrom’s game falling off a cliff.

But on a micro level Orpik getting 20+ minutes a game is killing the team. With him on the ice it’s pretty much a guaranteed one-and-done in the offensive zone and often times extended defensive zone time.

Again it’s not his fault he’s being forced into that position, and at least for the past few games you can’t even put it on Trotz due to Djoos’s injury (though Trotz was still overusing Orpik when Djoos was healthy). It’s a failure on management to expect Orpik to be able to handle a top 4 role.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve missed more periods of hockey than I have in years. Typically tuning in late....can’t help myself, can’t go cold turkey.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
It's tough. To see the success of other teams that haven't been in the league as long as the Caps, it wears me down. How frustrating that this organization has only twice, made it past the second round, this season marks the 20th anniversary of the last time, our only appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals. Maybe Smokey was right, " a taste of honey is worse than none at all".

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I've watched like two games in full over the past month. Typically I have the game on a tablet and see whether they're engaged early or not but lately not even that.
Abso-fricking-lutely. This team - with its half-hearted, episodic commitment level - is turning itself into something that is just not worth anyone's time.
Ovie's indifference this year is startling, particularly because I thought it had reached levels where it just could not sink lower. But his resistance to moving his feet in the D-zone has reached a level that is just embarrassing. If he had been at all engaged defensively on that first Flames goal, he could have thwarted the pass that sprung Gaudreau, but as almost always happens on the D side of the ice, he was behind the play and slow to get his feet moving, and by the time they moved, the play was past him. The guy made his legend by playing with a level of enthusiasm and vigor that was almost unprecedented - but he just looks lifeless now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's true, the only center over performing recently is Eller, and he's still not that good.

Backstrom has been particularly disappointing. When is the last time he set up a goal with a beautiful pass? Seems like forever. And that's on top of his goal scoring drought.

Then there's Ovie.
Backstrom is definitely in a slump. He can't buy a goal. He isn't making great passes either and when he does the guy isn't finishing. At least that line has been decent defensively.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Beagle has been atrocious. Total liability every time he's on the ice, outside of taking faceoffs.
I agree. There were a couple games that Beagle struggled in the faceoff circle which magnified his play this year. Right now he is here to take defensive zone faceoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I have too many threads. Someone else start the next GDT so we can lock this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->