Proposal: Flames/Canucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not a bad proposal but I don’t feel comfortable as a Canucks fan. Yes - Markstrom won’t be confused with Dominik Hasek anytime soon, but he is a decent-average starting goalie. Canucks can’t afford to downgrade here.

Feb 24, 2017
I do this trade in a heartbeat as a Canucks fan.

I have a sneaky feeling Sam Bennett is going to really be something eventually.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a bad proposal but I don’t feel comfortable as a Canucks fan. Yes - Markstrom won’t be confused with Dominik Hasek anytime soon, but he is a decent-average starting goalie. Canucks can’t afford to downgrade here.
It would be interesting to see what Markstrom's numbers look like on a better team. His GAA was middle of the pack and his SV% nearing the bottom third. He is someone I wouldn't mind looking at at the deadline of RIttich and Gillies struggle this year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Value might be there, but I would want to keep Stetcher.

Bennett would be a Benning special, high potential player off the Flames roster who never quite put it together, but that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Plus we have the same thing with Virtanen happening, where we know he will be better, so I understand Calgary wanting to keep him.

No Stetcher and no Bennett and we just have junk for junk. We give up the best junk, Markstrom, but also the worst junk, Gagner.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Bennett would be a Benning special, high potential player off the Flames roster who never quite put it together, but that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Plus we have the same thing with Virtanen happening, where we know he will be better, so I understand Calgary wanting to keep him.

No Stetcher and no Bennett and we just have junk for junk. We give up the best junk, Markstrom, but also the worst junk, Gagner.
Ignoring the OP, at the deadline, what do you think Markstrom could go for?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ignoring the OP, at the deadline, what do you think Markstrom could go for?

Assuming a team needs more than a back up to fill in for, say, an injured starter, few other starters available, and we had a GM that was competant, either an earlyish third or an equivalent prospect would be my worse case scenario. I just don't value Stone or Rittich particularly highly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Assuming a team needs more than a back up to fill in for, say, an injured starter, few other starters available, and we had a GM that was competant, either an earlyish third or an equivalent prospect would be my worse case scenario. I just don't value Stone or Rittich particularly highly.
A couple things. Trading Markstrom to a playoff hopeful, won't net you an earlyish pick in any round, just not how it works. I also am a firm believer that it would be a mistake to move Stone due to defensive depth being vital in the post season. I also figure it would be a backup role, with potential to fight for the starter job next year (I suspect Smith signs a 1 year extension with the Flames at some point). I also would have no interest in moving Stone as I feel defensive depth depth is vital. Rittich would likely need to be involved just due to the numbers game.

Would something like a 3rd + Rittich potentially work? Hopefully not a situation where a starter is injured, lol

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Trading Markstrom would be a horrific move on Vancouver’s part. Demko needs more time to develop before he becomes an NHL starter, while Nilsson would get lit up like a Christmas Tree if he was the #1 guy.

The Canucks cannot afford to downgrade in net.

Reactions: JuniorNelson
Feb 24, 2017

I would love to see Bennett and Virtanen together. Because, like, I dunno man, just...what if? If those two put it together, together, and there is also Bo and Brock and Elias and Quinton and Jack(Edited. A prayer emoji was here) ...

A man can dream.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A couple things. Trading Markstrom to a playoff hopeful, won't net you an earlyish pick in any round, just not how it works. I also am a firm believer that it would be a mistake to move Stone due to defensive depth being vital in the post season. I also figure it would be a backup role, with potential to fight for the starter job next year (I suspect Smith signs a 1 year extension with the Flames at some point). I also would have no interest in moving Stone as I feel defensive depth depth is vital. Rittich would likely need to be involved just due to the numbers game.

Would something like a 3rd + Rittich potentially work? Hopefully not a situation where a starter is injured, lol

Well I never said playoff hopeful or contender.

We also have depth at D, mostly around the 7/8 position, but we still have a few guys that would be ahead of Stone in our system. If we are trading for a D, we need top 4, and yeah, Markstrom probably isn't doing that.

As for the likelihood of moving Markstrom, I would happily accept just the third when Demko is ready to go for us, or if we are selling off assets before the deadline. Rittich will either be on waivers or force us to drop Nilsson on waivers, so his inclusion doesn't help us either, hence not valuing him very highly.

But yeah, under those perimeters, I wouldn't be against that.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's a meh trade for both teams.

Don't really see much in Sam Bennett and this is someone who was super high on him in his draft year.

Rather keep Stetcher and Markstrom, and I'm not even that high on either of them.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Huge no from me.

I don't really want those 3 guys on the Flames for free let alone having to give up Stone, Bennett and Rittich.

I don't the reasoning from the Flames perspective at all. It makes us older, worse and doesn't address a single need.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
If 40 points isn't so hard to reach, why did Gagner do it in his first season and consistantly do it while Bennett has failed to reach 40 points in any of his seasons?

36 points in his rookie season, and followed up with two 26 point seasons, isn't the worst that can happen, wait until he breakouts this season with 50+ points

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Huge no from me.

I don't really want those 3 guys on the Flames for free let alone having to give up Stone, Bennett and Rittich.

I don't the reasoning from the Flames perspective at all. It makes us older, worse and doesn't address a single need.
Funny because the only piece I’d give up for the flames players is gagner.

Our average goaltending becomes below average with Nilsson and rittich. We give up our only d-man that can skate the puck up the ice in stetcher for stone, who plays the same game as the rest of our bottom pairing d-men. Slow brain and or slow legs.

All this for Bennett whom is basically a physical version of the granlund we got from Calgary a few years ago. Except now we have a bunch of guys in that mold on the wing

Both sides happily say no then

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Markstrom would be the backup. He's also eight years younger than Smith.
sorry to burst your bubble shames haters. Marky was 10 -1cdown the stretch against mostly playoff teams or teams in the mix. He carried that into this season with a beaut of a game on the 3rd. he was a rookie last year who figured it out. He has arrived. Takes the pressure of Demko to jump into the #1 role sooner than later.

You have the most pathetic so-called first place team in Hockey. Have fun getting a beat down every game you face us. Once Roussell replaces Leipsic. One more big body to beat the crap out of your small pathetic soft joke of a team.

I actually hope the Oilers finish way ahead of you losers. Bennet. FFS give it up. the kid, unlike Jake. has done nothing to improve his game.

Just wait until we Hughes OJ Rathbone join us next year. With Rathbone convincing his D partner in Adam fox to sign with us. Lots of room on the right side

Wouldnt that just be a cherry on top. Get burned in the Canes trade, and lose Fox to Vancouver.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Really not sure why the Flames would want to dump Bennett for a nothing return. This trade seems like it won't make either team better or worse at the moment, and Bennett is the only player with considerable upside.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
sorry to burst your bubble shames haters. Marky was 10 -1cdown the stretch against mostly playoff teams or teams in the mix. He carried that into this season with a beaut of a game on the 3rd. he was a rookie last year who figured it out. He has arrived. Takes the pressure of Demko to jump into the #1 role sooner than later.

You have the most pathetic so-called first place team in Hockey. Have fun getting a beat down every game you face us. Once Roussell replaces Leipsic. One more big body to beat the crap out of your small pathetic soft joke of a team.

I actually hope the Oilers finish way ahead of you losers. Bennet. FFS give it up. the kid, unlike Jake. has done nothing to improve his game.

Just wait until we Hughes OJ Rathbone join us next year. With Rathbone convincing his D partner in Adam fox to sign with us. Lots of room on the right side

Wouldnt that just be a cherry on top. Get burned in the Canes trade, and lose Fox to Vancouver.
What a delusional post.

Reactions: GoodbyeLuongo

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
To the Flames:

Jacob Markstrom
Troy Stecher
Sam Gagner (50% retained)

To the Canucks:

Michael Stone
Sam Bennett
David Rittich

Realistically looking at the pieces.

Markstrom and Rittich aren't great goalies and goalies don't hold much value in trades especially goalies like those two.
Stecher is ok, but the Flames are already deep with defensemen, and Stecher while he can move the puck a bit isn't really needed because the Flames already have a ton of puck movers.
Gagner doesn't make the Flames, he can't even make a Canucks team with next to no offense up front so zero interest in that.

Stone is well suited to the role he's in and the Flames can probably move him at the deadline for a pick if the young guys develop enough.
Realistically right now in this trade Bennett is still the best piece, he can play the role he's in which is a third liner with a ton of bite who's shown some penalty killing ability and is on a cheap contract.

Flames pass hard, there's nothing in the Canucks package that's a needle mover.

rajinikanthfan1

rajinikanthfan1
Jun 25, 2006
North Delta
To the Flames:

Jacob Markstrom
Troy Stecher
Sam Gagner (50% retained)

To the Canucks:

Michael Stone
Sam Bennett
David Rittich

Flames after the trade:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Czarnik
Dube - Ryan - Neal
Gagner - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway/Lazar

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Stecher

Smith
Markstrom

Canucks:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Goldobin - Pettersson - Eriksson
Bennett - Sutter - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Leipsic
Granlund/Schaller

Edler - Tanev
MDZ - Stone
Pouliot - Gudbranson
Hutton/Biega

Demko
Nilsson

Just spitballing. Thoughts?

i dont mind the trade this would be too good for the Canucks but i think canucks would need to add more

Plus Calgary is looking for a permanent replacement for a starting goalie who knows jacob could be the next mikka kippersouff

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

As someone who lives in Vancouver, I have to say WTF.:huh::dunno:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Markstrom is being underrated here. I'd easily take him over Smith at this stage. I personally think Markstrom is a mid-tier NHL starter, and will prove it this year. Bennett is very intriguing though - I think Flames fans are better served being patient with him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Markstrom is being underrated here. I'd easily take him over Smith at this stage. I personally think Markstrom is a mid-tier NHL starter, and will prove it this year. Bennett is very intriguing though - I think Flames fans are better served being patient with him.
I too am intrigued by Markstrom. I think he’s a decent starter until Demko can handle the reins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad