GDT: Flames @ Blues, 6 PM MT

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Surely this will be the game that teaches Sutter not to overplay his starter especially on back to backs

I don't understand it. Why not Vladar tonight and save Marky after a shutout for his old club on Sat night?

Felt like a perfect scenario. Maybe he wants to give Vladar a game with a fresh group vs a non-elite team (they're playing better than us over the last 15 by a significant margin of course).

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
looking at the score, sucks to have played into their revenge game so nicely. dang.

oh well, 3 games in 4 nights, tough building. our turn I guess.
Throw it right into the bin and look forward to Saturday.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Well. That was certainly predictable. Stop playing Markstrom b2b, christ no wonder this franchise can't develop a goalie worth shit, they don't even know how to manage a NHL starter workload. Just endless stupidity, especially considering that's exactly how he injured himself last year and ruined your whole season.

Effort was fine for the most part. Flames did not have the legs and looked behind on nearly every play against a Blues team sitting at home all week waiting for the team that just beat them 7=1.

Good : Backlund was the best Flames hands down. Deserved and should have had another goal... How do you miss that chance lmao. Kylington I thought had one of his better games in a while, very active. Liked Dube tonight as well, very scrappy. Lindholm was decent.

Not bad : Gaudreau looked tired, a beat too slow on a lot of plays. Still had some chances. Hanifin acceptable. Andersson gassed but made some nice defensive plays. Mangiapane. Tanev some good some bad.

Bad : Monahan gets beat up the ice on the 1st goal, pass explodes off his stick for their 2nd. Least he was shooting. Lewis, Ritchie. Tkachuk totally invisible. Zadorov. Markstrom had to have one of those first three goals for us to have much of a chance. Loss wasn't on him but have no idea why he was playing. It was also two 2 on 1s and a wide open chance from the slot so ya.

Really bad : Gudbranson was a mess. Lost his guy multiple times and got beat outside more than once. Ruzicka a tough outing, penalty wasn't really his fault but just was not up to the pace the Blues were playing at.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

played-yourself-dj-khaled.gif

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Nice to see Sutter pointing ire at some of the veterans (maybe Gudbranson being too far up, Monahan flubbing the pass, Lewis taking the penalty, etc.) but acknowledging that the reason for Markstrom starting was a lack of faith in Vladar... when he's gone up against Tampa and Carolina as his only two games this month. That's something he can dictate.

Edit: it is reasonable to point to the 4+ GA in 3 straight losses though, he should've been against a team like Columbus to get his confidence up against a poor team

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Brutal game. I'm pretty much done with B2Bs. I'd like to know what our record is in them over the last 10 years. I'd imagine pretty bad. That probably goes for the rest of the league. 3 in 4 nights is even worse. We just looked off and half a step behind IMO. Just couldn't click while they looked pretty sharp and beat us to rebounds and such.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Had life commitments in the way for this one.

Can't remember the last time that happened boys lol. Doesn't seem like I missed much.

Reactions: Boomstick

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Tired Markstrom, and no secondary scoring. There's your playoffs scenario if they even make it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tired Markstrom, and no secondary scoring. There's your playoffs scenario if they even make it.

I have no idea how the person who manages this team doesn't understand that unless his top line produces a bunch of points, he can't win games unless his goalie posts a shutout.

I really, really, really wonder how Treliving views this team in his eyes.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I have no idea how the person who manages this team doesn't understand that unless his top line produces a bunch of points, he can't win games unless his goalie posts a shutout.

I really, really, really wonder how Treliving views this team in his eyes.
I really think Tre was completely out of ideas when he hired Darryl, hoping the hall of fame coach with a glistening resume would get his flawed team to the cup somehow. Such a waste of Darryl and Johnny's abilities.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Here is the deal with the Flames, if you don’t show up, we’d kick your ass

If you show up to make it tough and close, you can have it. Just make sure you shut down Johnny and Markstrom’d eventually give in

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Here is the deal with the Flames, if you don’t show up, we’d kick your ass

If you show it to make it tough and close, you can have it. Just make sure you shut down Johnny and Markstrom’d eventually give in
Painfully accurate. This team has all the steam until there's enough pushback.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Man you guys sure do like to overreact. This was our third game in four nights against a high level opponent on home ice who we flat out embarrassed just 4 days prior.. and to top it off the score really flattered the blues. It was a competitive game where our goaltending and finishing ability let us down. It's that simple. Starting Markstrom was simply the wrong decision. Sutter has mishandled the goaltending to a very large degree in my opinion. One of his few faults.

You want to know why Vladar hasn't won in over a month? It's because you have started him just twice during that timespan on the road against arguably the two best teams in the league while your team was struggling mightily.. What a stupid thing to say.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Man you guys sure do like to overreact. This was our third game in four nights against a high level opponent on home ice who we flat out embarrassed just 4 days prior.. and to top it off the score really flattered the blues. It was a competitive game where our goaltending and finishing ability let us down. It's that simple. Starting Markstrom was simply the wrong decision. Sutter has mishandled the goaltending to a very large degree in my opinion. One of his few faults.

You want to know why Vladar hasn't won in over a month? It's because you have started him just twice during that timespan on the road against arguably the two best teams in the league while your team was struggling mightily.. What a stupid thing to say.
I'm not sure how in totality some of the reactions are as reactionary vs. feeling prior thoughts are being vindicated. For example, the discussion around depth has been ever present, and on a tight night where your 4th and 3rd lines are out there for goals against it's hard not to have some pessimism of the Flames still being over reliant on Gaudreau to carry ala 2018-19. Like, last night that Monahan line had a couple real unfortunate plays but they weren't really pushing anything other than Monahan getting a chance or two, so while Backlund has his best game of the season it's offset by Mangiapane falling back to earth, and the 3rd line not being able to preform with the 2nd line. Also goes back to the Oiler game where the only sub 50% corsi was the 2nd line, it's hard to be hopeful until they have some consistency in being good lines, otherwise people worried about depth have their fears confirmed. Same for Gudbranson and Zadorov struggling last night.

As far as goaltending though, spot on. Sutter is the one in control and is worried about Vladar's games played or how he wasn't won in so long, when he hasn't been able to play.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Starting Markstrom makes 0 sense. Vlad might be the best backup in my lifetime as a Flames fan and we still don't use him. Even Kipper got worn down by the playoffs playing most nights it makes no sense. I like that Sutter makes his team work but man he flubs some really obvious decisions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad