GDT: Flames @ Avalanche - Oct 3, 2019 - 7PM MST, SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My issue is people shity
So what if people prefer Bennett over another player? I haven't seen anything in the HF by-laws stating posters can't like one player over another.

I think Bennett has a much better skill level than Frolik for a top 6 role, he just hasn't been given a consistent shot to show it. Sure he hasn't made enough of his opportunities in the top 6 in the past but he's older and is visibly more poised to take advantage of an opportunity to displace Frolik or Backlund. You keep saying he hasn't been successful in the past so there's no reason to expect he will in the future, which I think is a silly concept for a guy like Bennett. He should be given more opportunities in the top 6 because if he does figure it out, we will be a MUUUUUUCH better team for it.
My problem is not people having preferences. My problem is so called fans continually taking shits on the same players over and over and over again, to the point where they suggest the guy isn't NHL material, all while continually putting others of a similar skill level on a pedestal. Then I get accused of hating a player because people can't f***ing read.

I also have a problem with how many of the Brodie supporters feel the need to continually put down Hamonic.

It's like these "fans" can't just cheer for all Flames. You've all been posting here long enough to know that I defend players that the CFHF feels the need to continually shit all over.

It's f***ing tiresome, if I could put my hate aside and not insult Versteeg while he was a Flame, when I personally know him, why can't others do the same for other players that they have never met?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Remember how bad Brouwer was but we weren't allowed to criticize him while praising Bennett because he was over 35 and earned it and worked hard or something and Bennett was young and hadn't earned something like Brouwer.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Do I need to use words with less syllables? A bigger font?

I DO NOT HATE BENNETT

I am tired of people praising him, while ****ting on a player of a comparable skill level. Which I have repeated hundreds of times, I don't know why it is so difficult for you to understand,
Well that’s just like.. your opinion man. It’s a message board.

I find it hilarious that you’re resorting to underlying statements that question my intelligence. Fortunately, I’ve got thick skin to not let someone disagreeing with me on a message board ruin my day.

I’ll simplify for you - Bennett is “praised” because he has POTENTIAL to be a much better player than Frolik. Frolik is a great top 9 player, but most fans would like to see our 2nd line actually have an offensive focus (which is what Bennett would bring), rather than tasking our highest AAV player with a shut down role.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My issue is people ****y

My problem is not people having preferences. My problem is so called fans continually taking ****s on the same players over and over and over again, to the point where they suggest the guy isn't NHL material, all while continually putting others of a similar skill level on a pedestal. Then I get accused of hating a player because people can't ****ing read.

I also have a problem with how many of the Brodie supporters feel the need to continually put down Hamonic.

It's like these "fans" can't just cheer for all Flames. You've all been posting here long enough to know that I defend players that the CFHF feels the need to continually **** all over.

It's ****ing tiresome, if I could put my hate aside and not insult Versteeg while he was a Flame, when I personally know him, why can't others do the same for other players that they have never met?

The problem with this is "dumping on players" vs "critiquing them" vs "having a preference" is which category a statement falls into is pretty subjective. One person might interpret it as dumping on the player, another might see it as a critique, another as someone just venting in the moment out of frustration about the game or play. I think mostly, it's not worth taking any statement too seriously that involves "X player messes this up all the time" or whatever. If you're talking about a direct comparison between players than sure, get into the gritty stuff. Taking general statements out of the context of games isn't productive though.

If a poster says "Brodie with another whiff/mistake/screw up" in a GDT, I am not going to take that as a statement that they hate Brodie or that they are dumping on him. It's in the context of a game where people are emotionally invested in the outcome.

Reactions: Janks

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
How many teams win their home opener on average? 70%? Not even worried. The Looch Choo train is just getting revved up.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

I find it hilarious that you’re resorting to underlying statements that question my intelligence. Fortunately, I’ve got thick skin to not let someone disagreeing with me on a message board ruin my day.

I’ll simplify for you - Bennett is “praised” because he has POTENTIAL to be a much better player than Frolik. Frolik is a great top 9 player, but most fans would like to see our 2nd line actually have an offensive focus (which is what Bennett would bring), rather than tasking our highest AAV player with a shut down role.
Bennett was drafted 4th overall and thus gifted a spot in the NHL. He didn't earn anything. Like back in the 70s when men worked hard and built something.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I wasn't able to watch much of the game, but I did turn it on right when Kylington whiffed on his pass and had to bail himself out... which he did a fantastic job of. Thought he played Nich's stick perfectly and immediately decided to go on the offensive. He is such a great skater that I think it's absolutely worth keeping him around and working on the defensive side because that offensive potential is sky-high.

How did he look outside of that play?
I thought overall, he had a really good noticeable game. His skating and offensive instincts are insane, and the few times he got himself out of position or gave the puck up, his skating saved him and he was able to make smart plays to regain composure. The one thing I really noticed, he’s getting better at physically pushing guys to the outside, multiple times last night he was able to squeeze his winger out into the boards and shut them down, he was very noticeable all night.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Meh game... first period was ugly.

Hanifin looked great. Faster and stronger than last year.

Gaudreau when he had the puck he was his old self. Magician.

PP looked good.

Janko/Frolik/Brodie - sub par performance.

The rest of the guys up front were pretty quiet and did not stand out in any way.

I expect a way better performance from everyone this Saturday.

Oh and Rittich is the man.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
It's ****ing tiresome, if I could put my hate aside and not insult Versteeg while he was a Flame, when I personally know him, why can't others do the same for other players that they have never met?
Because they don't have to. And you don't have to take on the responsibility of policing other people's opinions either. I can understand why it's so tiring.

It's all just opinions on here man. There is no way to prove that X player is better than Y player or by how much. Especially when we're talking about who's going to be better in the future (which is what we're doing with this Bennett/Frolik discussion). Bennett might suck in the top 6, so might Frolik. We're just sharing ideas, nobody needs to get crapped on for what they're thinking.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Because they don't have to. And you don't have to take on the responsibility of policing other people's opinions either. I can understand why it's so tiring.

It's all just opinions on here man. There is no way to prove that X player is better than Y player or by how much. Especially when we're talking about who's going to be better in the future (which is what we're doing with this Bennett/Frolik discussion). Bennett might suck in the top 6, so might Frolik. We're just sharing ideas, nobody needs to get crapped on for what they're thinking.
Any*******body who **** thinks **** this is an idiot *****

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wasn't able to watch much of the game, but I did turn it on right when Kylington whiffed on his pass and had to bail himself out... which he did a fantastic job of. Thought he played Nich's stick perfectly and immediately decided to go on the offensive. He is such a great skater that I think it's absolutely worth keeping him around and working on the defensive side because that offensive potential is sky-high.

How did he look outside of that play?

Not bad but I think he wasn't assertive enough in either end of the rink. When he decided to make a play based on his instincts rather than playing passive trying not to make mistakes he was much better.

He should take a page from that Girard's book and not be so reluctant to try stuff.

At this point, why wouldn't you play Bennett in the top 6? He's looked very strong recently going back towards the end of last season and in the playoffs and is clearly a big game player. Frolik's gone next season and Bennett's poised to take the next step. It's a no-brainer

I'm starting to think it's against some sacred Saddledome rule he gets more than 1 period playing on the top two lines.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'm starting to think it's against some sacred Saddledome rule he gets more than 1 period playing on the top two lines.
That's really what it's seemed like. The guy has been all over the lineup, no wonder his confidence the last few years has been low. Not to mention he hasn't had a consistent head coach for more than 2 seasons either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett was drafted 4th overall and thus gifted a spot in the NHL. He didn't earn anything. Like back in the 70s when men worked hard and built something.

I disagreed with this.

Bennett has been a disappointment for his draft position but he has proved that he is a useful nhler in the last 3 yrs. He is legit. He was not gifted a spot. He earned it.

To say he was gifted a spot, he had to be the worst player on the team. He never was. As the matter of fact, I still missed 18 yrs old Sam Bennett lol

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Don't you know that Bennett has been holding back to ensure the salary cap health of this team?

I believe it is a situation called, "Salary cap Bennevolence".

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Now that's what I call a SamWISE decision.
giphy.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m excited about Bennett this season. I think he will hit 45pts and be a terror to play against. And yes, he should for sure take Froliks spot. He’s faster and has more upside and I think it’s important that he and Tkachuk develop chemistry together sooner than later. If we’re being honest, our topline is set and the best chance we have of getting a top end 2nd line, is if Bennett takes another step because he has the highest upside of anyone who could fill that role and we have no cap to bring in anyone else. Tkachuk brings that out in players and if Bennett can get some scoring confidence and he gels with Chucky, look out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Nail Yakupov had potential too.

Potential means absolutely jack shit until you do something with it. Bennett has earned nothing in his career. He was gifted a roster spot, he was gifted 2nd line minutes as a rookie to pretty mediocre results and then when he was asked to play a role more suitable to his abilities, he's shown very little offensive improvement.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The problem with this is "dumping on players" vs "critiquing them" vs "having a preference" is which category a statement falls into is pretty subjective. One person might interpret it as dumping on the player, another might see it as a critique, another as someone just venting in the moment out of frustration about the game or play. I think mostly, it's not worth taking any statement too seriously that involves "X player messes this up all the time" or whatever. If you're talking about a direct comparison between players than sure, get into the gritty stuff. Taking general statements out of the context of games isn't productive though.

If a poster says "Brodie with another whiff/mistake/screw up" in a GDT, I am not going to take that as a statement that they hate Brodie or that they are dumping on him. It's in the context of a game where people are emotionally invested in the outcome.
Yeah when people use terms like "garbage" or claim people "should be in the AHL" it's really not subjective. If people were making intelligent comments, instead of stupid statements loaded with hyperbole, you might actually have a point.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Nail Yakupov had potential too.

Potential means absolutely jack **** until you do something with it. Bennett has earned nothing in his career. He was gifted a roster spot, he was gifted 2nd line minutes as a rookie to pretty mediocre results and then when he was asked to play a role more suitable to his abilities, he's shown very little offensive improvement.

:laugh: Yikes man. I’ll let you live in your little bubble then.

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh: Yikes man. I’ll let you live in your little bubble then.
How exactly did he earn those thing prior to getting them? He was gifted opportunities, I don't know how anyone can even deny that. Honestly, I believe that is one of the reasons he's never lived up to expectations, the other being that he lost a year of development to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad