GDT: Flames at Stars: 6:30pm MT on SNW

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I’m a big fan of Stewart as a player, I really liked him on the wild even if his goatee is god awful. But putting him on the first line is absolutely ridiculous when Bennett was looking good and seemed about to gain some confidence back.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So Bennett has 2 good games on the top line

Not sure why people keep saying this. He's much more effective on the Jankowski line.

I mean, sure, we could leave Bennett on the top line and wait and see if chemistry develops, but why? That would mean intentionally playing multiple players on their off-wing with no real benefit. The top line right-winger is Micheal Ferland, and anyone playing in his place right now is just filling in. Why not achieve chemistry on the third line and have Stewart be the fill-in instead, and have everyone playing their natural position?

Reactions: Baxterman

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So now for Bennett to save his career he needs to leech off the top line to get points? That is how he will save his career?

Not learning how to produce offense, learning how not to cheat by reaching and taking bad penalties in the offensive zone, not learning how to keep his head up to use his linemates instead of constantly going head down straight ahead?

Passing the puck to Gaudreau and Monahan and hoping they can create something is what is going to save his career?

Gaining confidence is huge for young player, no matter how skilled. If playing hard and contributing to the top line does that for him, you do it. If Bennett was leeching and unable to contribute I might agree with you, but right now he’s looking like our best option outside of Tkachuk on that line.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gaining confidence is huge for young player, no matter how skilled. If playing hard and contributing to the top line does that for him, you do it. If Bennett was leeching and unable to contribute I might agree with you, but right now he’s looking like our best option outside of Tkachuk on that line.

Him being on that line forces either him or Gaudreau to play out of position, it is hard to see how that is the best option for that line.

Also, there have been plenty of guys that have succeeded and got confidence in this league without having to be force fed top line minutes with top guys.

Again if Bennett needs to be gifted top line minutes to get confidence then my concern level will be raised much higher than anything the folks freaking out here about him being taken off that line has reached. That would be a major red flag for me and a big concern about him going forward.

Again we are talking about a 2 game sample in which the line produced zero goals in one game. It wasn't like they were running over teams like the Harlem Globetrotters out there.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Not sure why people keep saying this. He's much more effective on the Jankowski line.

I mean, sure, we could leave Bennett on the top line and wait and see if chemistry develops, but why? That would mean intentionally playing multiple players on their off-wing with no real benefit. The top line right-winger is Micheal Ferland, and anyone playing in his place right now is just filling in. Why not achieve chemistry on the third line and have Stewart be the fill-in instead, and have everyone playing their natural position?
Ferland is also a player playing on his off wing... He's also shown minimal over the past month playing with 2 elite players.

February - 4 points in 12 games
January - 10 points in 11 games
December - 6 points in 14 games

So 20 points in 37 games. That's not nearly enough considering he is far less physical than he should be. I get consistency is an issue for him, but why is trying Bennett at 1LW for more than a brief stint so hard for GG to come to terms with.

Edit: For context - Monahan has had:

February - 15 points in 13 games
January - 9 points in 10 games
December - 8 points in 14 games

So 32 points in 37 games.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ferland is also a player playing on his off wing... He's also shown minimal over the past month playing with 2 elite players.

February - 4 points in 12 games
January - 10 points in 11 games
December - 6 points in 14 games

So 20 points in 37 games. That's not nearly enough considering he is far less physical than he should be. I get consistency is an issue for him, but why is trying Bennett at 1LW for more than a brief stint so hard for GG to come to terms with.

Edit: For context - Monahan has had:

February - 15 points in 13 games
January - 9 points in 10 games
December - 8 points in 14 games

So 32 points in 37 games.
Ferland was playing injured during February. Overall, he's had a solid season as the third wheel on that line.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Ferland was playing injured during February. Overall, he's had a solid season as the third wheel on that line.

He was injured in the Nash game, that was Feb 15.
Taking just his Feb 1-13 games (7 total games) - he has 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points.

It just seems to me that he coasts on the line and doesn't contribute as much as Bennett can. I could very well be wrong, I just think having Benny play with skilled players will allow our team to have a more dynamic 1st line and gives more scoring threats.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have zero faith in Gully, the guy does everything out theory and nothing that makes actual sense in the real world.
Because putting the left winger on the right wing on the top line where he hasn't looked effective, while taking him away from his spot on the line where he is effective, makes an absolute ton of sense.

Bennett might be better on the top line than Stewart. That remains to be seen. But the goal of the game isn't to have the best top line. It's to have the best team.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The irony is that GG doesnt even realize that getting Bennett going might actually save his nhl career - yet he hitches his wagon to chris stewart.

Best case scenario A: bennett develops into a top line player. Best case scenario B: stewart does... something.

Gully: I will take B for 1,000 thank you.
Contrary to what you and apparently many others seem to think, it is not the coach's responsibility to save Bennett's career. It's Bennett's responsibility.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Because putting the left winger on the right wing on the top line where he hasn't looked effective, while taking him away from his spot on the line where he is effective, makes an absolute ton of sense.

Bennett might be better on the top line than Stewart. That remains to be seen. But the goal of the game isn't to have the best top line. It's to have the best team.

So putting a waiver caliber player who has never practiced with this team, doesn't know the coach or his teammates and has been a recent healthy scratch, giving him more minutes makes us a better team? Interesting.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Contrary to what you and apparently many others seem to think, it is not the coach's responsibility to save Bennett's career. It's Bennett's responsibility.

Save Bennett from what? The only thing he apparently needs saving from is GG.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So putting a waiver caliber player who has never practiced with this team, doesn't know the coach or his teammates and has been a recent healthy scratch, giving him more minutes makes us a better team? Interesting.
It might. It certainly makes the third line better, and there's not a whole lot of room for the top line to get worse.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It might. It certainly makes the third line better, and there's not a whole lot of room for the top line to get worse.

It might, yes, it is possible. But Stewart does not have the potential that Bennett has and I would much rather that the coach makes a commitment to developing him properly and giving him a chance at success to play with quality players. Bennett has done nothing to lose his spot and again, the only reason Stewie is playing there is because of which way he shoots. My issue is with the logic of the coach, which is awful.

He did the same thing to Brodie, the tunnel vision of this coach is astounding.

Reactions: snipetype and Janks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It might, yes, it is possible. But Stewart does not have the potential that Bennett has and I would much rather that the coach makes a commitment to developing him properly and giving him a chance at success to play with quality players. Bennett has done nothing to lose his spot and again, the only reason Stewie is playing there is because of which way he shoots. My issue is with the logic of the coach, which is awful.

He did the same thing to Brodie, the tunnel vision of this coach is astounding.

He's playing with Mark Jankowski, and playing against the bottom-four defencemen on the other team. He has a great opportunity, and if he doesn't see it that way, that's on him.

And before you start claiming that Bennett did nothing to lose his spot... you realize he went pointless in three games before being promoted to the top line, right? By the same token, he didn't deserve to be there in the first place. But that's not the point. Gulutzan isn't employed to try to maximize Bennett's next contract. He's trying to win games by icing the most effective lineup.

Bennett didn't make the top line better, but his absence made the third line worse. If Stewart is just as effective on the top line, which wouldn't be hard, then the team is improved.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That is not true
At least not in the last month

I know you are trying to pump GG's tire but that's funny

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's playing with Mark Jankowski, and playing against the bottom-four defencemen on the other team. He has a great opportunity, and if he doesn't see it that way, that's on him.

And before you start claiming that Bennett did nothing to lose his spot... you realize he went pointless in three games before being promoted to the top line, right? By the same token, he didn't deserve to be there in the first place. But that's not the point. Gulutzan isn't employed to try to maximize Bennett's next contract. He's trying to win games by icing the most effective lineup.

Bennett didn't make the top line better, but his absence made the third line worse. If Stewart is just as effective on the top line, which wouldn't be hard, then the team is improved.

I don't care what Bennett gets paid, but if Bennett ever reaches his potential then the Flames are a much better team for it. They will be a much better team if Bennett reaches his potential vs Stewart reaching his potential with the Flames because we already know what his ceiling is. Gully's priority should be getting the most out of his young players and having them take another step because let's face it, if they do not get there then this team will never be much more than it currently is.

I also don't read much into Bennett not producing a ton playing with a rookie and a 4th liner. I am however curious as to how he would produce if given an extended look playing our teams top scorers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That is not true
At least not in the last month

I know you are trying to pump GG's tire but that's funny

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett and think it looks like it is clicking, but clearly there are several of you seeing something I'm not.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't care what Bennett gets paid, but if Bennett ever reaches his potential then the Flames are a much better team for it. They will be a much better team if Bennett reaches his potential vs Stewart reaching his potential with the Flames because we already know what his ceiling is. Gully's priority should be getting the most out of his young players and having them take another step because let's face it, if they do not get there then this team will never be much more than it currently is.

I also don't read much into Bennett not producing a ton playing with a rookie and a 4th liner. I am however curious as to how he would produce if given an extended look playing our teams top scorers.

Are you suggesting that it is not possible for Bennett to improve and develop while playing in his current situation? I just don't see that. He clearly has good chemistry with Janko and is able to make plays and try things on that line. There's really nothing standing in the way of his development. He's getting PP2 time as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Are you suggesting that it is not possible for Bennett to improve and develop while playing in his current situation? I just don't see that. He clearly has good chemistry with Janko and is able to make plays and try things on that line. There's really nothing standing in the way of his development. He's getting PP2 time as well.

LOL, it is not the same opportunity as playing with the #2 scorer and the top GWG getter in the NHL. Good players play better with good players.

This is starting to go around in circles. My stance is that Stewart has done nothing to warrant getting topline minutes other than be right handed. I would much rather Bennett get an extended look on that line in hopes it accelerates his development. If Stewart comes in and plays well, he can also make our 3rd line better. That and I'm done with our coach, I'm convinced he's not a real human.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad