GDT: Flames at Oilers: Stoppable force vs. movable object. 7pm MT on SNW

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
How was that call BS? The skate clearly made contact with the goalie impeding his ability to make the following save.

Contact was incidental and Rittich had time to completely reset and get into position before the rebound went in. Come on man, no one thinks that was the right call

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1. Johnny was flying how many breakaways did he have that game? 4?

2. Monahan and Ferland didn't show up which is pretty much expected because when Gaudreau isn't getting them the puck right in the slot neither of them are scoring. Not trashing either of them that's just the way it is and tonight Johnny was shoot first.

3. On their OT goal I wish Brodie would've switched sides and defended Mcdavid instead of letting Gaudreau try and do it.

4. Tkachuk was awesome all over the ice drawing penalties and scoring goals. Backlund was playing mad but wasn't having a very good game with the puck.

5. I saw some people on CP saying Brouwer wasn't bad because of his assist. Holy crap the bar is low for this guy all he did was knock a puck down and chip it into the slot Lazar and Stajan both made better passes that just didn't get capitalized and neither of them were the offending player on two goals against. If Brouwer continues to play 18 minutes a game I don't like our playoff odds.

6. 3rd line was bad I think one of the biggest issues is Hathaway he was terrible. Two penalties a screwed up 2 on 1 and has almost no ability to carry the puck.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
A few thoughts, in addition to what everyone else has said.

1. Jankowski has gone ice cold and a minor concern of mine is that lately he reminds me a lot of Joe Colborne who was next to useless when he wasn't scoring. Obviously Janko has a lot of room to grow and I'm confident he'll grow past that (he's still a rookie), just an observation more than anything.

2. Can we be done with the Hathaway experiment? Dude is really not that good.

3. Brouwer looked actually okay on the second line last night, at least offensively. Defensively I didn't care for him.

4. Praise our goalies.

5. Wake the f*** up, Monahan.

6. Praise Tkachuk.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yah Janko looked bad last night. Weak on the puck and couldn't get anything going. I was impressed by Lomberg, would rather he stay in for a few and let Hathaway have a seat.

We need a miracle on offense though, it's obvious our secondary guys aren't going to show up.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
so we are 500 hockey team since the break. Things actually feel worse then they are I guess. hopefully Frolik is back after the all-Star game and our 3rd line gets going. We need a top 6 upgrade badly, and a complete overhaul of our PP.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This game was just a reminder of how much I love Matty Tkachuk. I really would like to see him move up to play with Gaudreau; as the only two guys on forward who almost always are going. Might as well get the elite together.

We need another scorer, in a bad way. Our third line is completely cold; and the 4th line... just ugh. Bad penalties and a lot of spending the night in their own zone. I like Lazar's creativity and spacing more than I thought I would. I'd slot Hrivik down the middle with Mangi and Lazar to see if I could get a bit more offense out of that trio.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So glad I missed this one. Would've been livid.
Was livid. Got significantly less livid when it was confirmed going to a shootout. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we will lose every shootout we go to nowadays. Helps my blood pressure at least.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Contact was incidental and Rittich had time to completely reset and get into position before the rebound went in. Come on man, no one thinks that was the right call

I wouldn't say "no one," I just think that there is a massive NHL review process hate-train going on and it's hard for anyone to voice any kind of differing opinion without getting immediately shouted down. I thought this was a light call for sure, but it fits with the standard that they have previously established, which means that light calls are okay.

For one, yes, the contact was incidental. That's what the rule and the review process covers. If it isn't incidental, you're looking at a penalty. But incidental contact that is not caused by the defending team and doesn't allow the goalie to freely play his position is supposed to be no goal and no penalty. In terms of whether he reset or not, that seems to be a bit grey. Does being able to get to your feet really count as "resetting?" He did not have time to actually set his positioning where he would normally like to set it, as evidenced by the fact that Strome had half a net to shoot at. So the referees have to determine whether, if not for the slight momentum to the right caused by his right arm being pulled away from his body, he would have been able to position himself further to the left to face the oncoming shot. I think it's perfectly fair for them to make that call.

As a player, if you drive the net, it is your responsibility to do so without contacting the goalie. If you get pushed in, fair enough (see the incident against the Leafs the other night), but if it's just the path you've chosen to take, you're accepting the risk that you may invalidate rebound goals if you can't steer clear of the crease.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Fun fact time: In our last 11 games, we've scored first 10 times and haven't been able to hold onto that lead 7 times. 4 of those times we ended up losing. Real killer instinct by this team

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
1. Score more on breakaways and 2-on-1s

2. Score more on the PP

Bam, we're now a contender winning games by multiple goals.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even the biggest flames homer knows that was a terrible call for goalie interference.

Hard to separate motives on this. On the one hand, there is homerism affecting how people look at it, sure. On the other hand, there are a lot of people already pissed off at the NHL's review process who are looking to make a big deal out of every decision. If it weren't for the two incidents with the Leafs in the previous two nights, I don't think this call would have been as controversial. Because, at the root of it, it's a guy driving through the crease, interfering with the goalie a little bit, and moving him slightly away from where he needs to be to make the save. It's very similar to the Perry incident in the playoffs against the Oil last year which every Oiler fan (and me) thought should be interference.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean he bumped into the goalie.

But the goalie had time to recover and the rebound was going to be a goal. Much like the Flames goal against the Jets, That puck was going to go in the net on the rebound.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean he bumped into the goalie.

But the goalie had time to recover and the rebound was going to be a goal. Much like the Flames goal against the Jets, That puck was going to go in the net on the rebound.

The contentious issue isn't that they made the call in spite of this. It's whether this is actually true, and I'm not sure why people are pretending it's clearcut.

For one, no, he did not have time to reset. People keep saying this, but resetting means the goalie is fully in control of where he is standing, and time isn't a factor in his positioning. If Rittich reset on this play, Strome would not have had a whole open side to shoot at. He had time to get to his feet, yes, but that isn't the same as recovering; that's just his best attempt to give himself a chance to save it.

Now, it's probably not a situation where he had time to reset anyway because of the time between shots. But I would also not say that it's a situation where saving Strome's shot was impossible. The question the refs had to think about was this: was there contact made by McDavid that reduced the goalie's chance to make the save. They saw his arm being dragged to the right when he needed to move to the left, and concluded that it was enough. That's all there is to it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The contentious issue isn't that they made the call in spite of this. It's whether this is actually true, and I'm not sure why people are pretending it's clearcut.

For one, no, he did not have time to reset. People keep saying this, but resetting means the goalie is fully in control of where he is standing, and time isn't a factor in his positioning. If Rittich reset on this play, Strome would not have had a whole open side to shoot at. He had time to get to his feet, yes, but that isn't the same as recovering; that's just his best attempt to give himself a chance to save it.

Now, it's probably not a situation where he had time to reset anyway because of the time between shots. But I would also not say that it's a situation where saving Strome's shot was impossible. The question the refs had to think about was this: was there contact made by McDavid that reduced the goalie's chance to make the save. They saw his arm being dragged to the right when he needed to move to the left, and concluded that it was enough. That's all there is to it.
Exactly this. Even my Oiler fan brother said the same thing. At full speed it is pretty obvious Rittich never had a chance to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad