GDT: Flames at Hawks: 6:30pm MT on SNW. On the Road Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Guy is just the new whipping boy and nothing more. He is no where near as bad as people think. Even yesterday he had a good game with 2 blunders and all of a sudden he is the worst defenseman ever and has a terrible game.

Stone is an absolute train wreck right now and no-one is talking about him.
I think Brodie played above his actual level a few years ago when he was arguably our best D. He's been ver mediocre for a while now. Doesn't mean that he needs to get traded. If the right offer came along, I would move him. Stone is not stellar but between him and someone from the minors, we can fill that hole.

Regardless, he won't get traded at the deadline. 0 chance.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't get Flames fans' hard on for trading Brodie. It's even worse on that other place. Even if he keeps playing like how his haters perceive him to be, he's still a top 4 guy with a very favourable contract.

We trade him for a forward and then what? We plug one hole while creating one that we already tried to fill last summer.
I don't know if it's that, but I think it's more trading from a position of strength.

The problem is with the coach liking to play D with LHS & RHS, that means trading Brodie results in bumping Kulak to top four duty. Not sure if he'd be ready for that yet, nor are any of the options from the farm.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don't know if it's that, but I think it's more trading from a position of strength.

The problem is with the coach liking to play D with LHS & RHS, that means trading Brodie results in bumping Kulak to top four duty. Not sure if he'd be ready for that yet, nor are any of the options from the farm.

Valimaki is the only real solid LHS D prospect we have right now imo and he’s still 2-3 years away. Kylington is looking more and more like a coin flip at this point. Certainly not ready to step into that role now

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brodie Boosters in shambles. But seriously, are we done blindly stashing faith in this guy's ability to turn it around? He seems to be getting noticeably worse with each passing game. Hamonic is very clearly better than him now.

.... No he isn't? Brodie had a stellar game on Saturday night, which was marred only by a bobbling puck skipping over his still while he tried to pass. Yes, that's still on him. No, it didn't make it a horrible game for him. You know who had a quiet two games in a row these last two games? Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Who kept getting completely shut down by Brodie and Hamonic in turn with great defensive play after great defensive play. Yes, Brodie failed to clear a puck on the PK last night. Backlund had one 4x as bad, but Brodie is the flavour du jour.

I hate to do the old "pass the buck" thing to have to defend Brodie, but it's definitely worth pointing out to showcase the levels of hysteria. The worst play of the night was actually Douglas E. Hamilton last night when he decided to get sucked in like a moth towards a lamp when the puck was bouncing in the high slot in front of three charging Blackhawks, all while we were protecting a one-goal lead late! Led to a 2-on-1, and he takes a penalty on top of that. Awful, awful read, and against a team with a more effective PP, could have had serious implications.

It's funny the pattern you'll find when you watch one player with a negative outlook. You'll find mistakes every game. It's pretty unsurprising that it works that way, though, because there isn't a player in the league who doesn't make mistakes. Some make more, some make fewer, but as a top-4 defenceman taking top opposition matchups on the road, Brodie's positives have far outweighed his negatives for a very long time. At $4.5M, he doesn't need to turn anything around. The only people who need to turn things around are the people who think he needs to be traded if he isn't a Norris candidate. At $4.5M, a defenceman who can take top matchups and shut down top offensive players while factoring into the offence is 100% worth his price tag, and would be a huge hole we'd need to spend significant cap to fill. I know we're currently working hard to cultivate this reputation of being a knee-jerky and panicky board that turns every mistake into a narrative and every narrative into an uRGEnT need tO fIrE sOmEOne NoW!, but surely it's not that hard to see what's going on in your collective perception and avoid getting sucked in.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Guy is just the new whipping boy and nothing more. He is no where near as bad as people think. Even yesterday he had a good game with 2 blunders and all of a sudden he is the worst defenseman ever and has a terrible game.

Stone is an absolute train wreck right now and no-one is talking about him.

Brodie was absolutely brutal last night.

Along with those two blunders, the Flames with him on the ice were as follows:

Corsi: 24-12 in favor of Chicago
Fenwick: 18-6 in favor of Chicago
Shots: 12-5 in favor of Chicago
Scoring Chances: 13-3 in favor of Chicago
High Danger Scoring Chances: 6-0 in favor of Chicago

The one reason we won last night was because of our 1st line, 1st D pairing, and Mike Smith

While Brodie is still on a very good contract despite his massive dropoff, he's still earning the criticism he's getting. He went from being elite in the defensive zone to being average at best while committing horrible turnovers game after game.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don't thin Brodie has been horrible all season. I thought his game last night was crap. Always out of position, poor passing, and lost most puck battles. I'm not overreacting as I'm sure he'll bounce back, but he sucked last night...along with Janko and Bennett.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Our third line has been bad lately. Doesn't surprise me that management feels we need a top 6 winger but unlike what some suggested earlier this week it won't be to replace Ferland if it happens it will be to make the 3rd line a scoring threat.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Our third line has been bad lately. Doesn't surprise me that management feels we need a top 6 winger but unlike what some suggested earlier this week it won't be to replace Ferland if it happens it will be to make the 3rd line a scoring threat.

Yeah. The third line was great for a while on the backs of Janko and Hathaway going through their rookie blossoming. Rookies tend to fade during their rookie year as the initial adrenaline rush fades and the season becomes a grind, so it's predictable that that appears to have happened to Janko and Hathaway. Then there is Bennett on that line who probably isn't the greatest leader right now given how lost he is with his own game. A winger who can help those two out would be a big boon.

Reactions: Dack

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Agreed. Our 3rd line was playing terrific for a while there but have since completely disappeared and looked like a liability more often than not recently. So incredibly frustrating how unbelievably inconsistent Bennett is

Reactions: Dack

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
We still need to exercise a lot more patience with Bennett. Kid has all the tools, he just needs to figure out how to make it work in the NHL. He is the definition of a player who needs to simplify his game, without going into too much detail on the subject.
I still believe he will be a core piece of this team sooner than later. He has it all just needs to figure out his shit like you said.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't see the Brodie hate. Or understand it.
I think he plays a bit too much; but his game is solid. The way some folks paint it, it's like Bart's out there.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Lol at the people who think Brodie had a bad game yesterday. completely shut down patrick kane all game long.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Lol at the people who think Brodie had a bad game yesterday. completely shut down patrick kane all game long.

He played horrible, Hamonic held that pairing down for sure. I'm not a Brodie hater at all, I like his game, but he was crap last night.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
People seem to forget that Bennett is still only 21 years old. Some players take longer to figure it out. Not every player is going to be a Monahan or Tkachuk and make an impact right away in the NHL.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
We still need to exercise a lot more patience with Bennett. Kid has all the tools, he just needs to figure out how to make it work in the NHL. He is the definition of a player who needs to simplify his game, without going into too much detail on the subject.

He badly needs to start driving the net again. Probably what I thought was most impressive about him earlier in his career. Some players can be effective on the perimeter, Bennett doesn't have the shot or the vision to be one of them.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Did Janko and Bennett even see the ice much in the third? They need to find the Space Jam alien that stole their talent over the bye week for this final stretch

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't see the Brodie hate. Or understand it.
I think he plays a bit too much; but his game is solid. The way some folks paint it, it's like Bart's out there.

He is not Bartkowski bad but he sure makes a lot of Bartkowski-esque mistakes.

Like I said I had the game on in the background so might have missed somethings but I did not see any evidence of that at all.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did Janko and Bennett even see the ice much in the third? They need to find the Space Jam alien that stole their talent over the bye week for this final stretch

I think perhaps some people have to go back to see how much talent was there in the first place.

I still see signs in Bennetts game that gives me hope he could be a 2nd line guy at some point but I see no reason to keep Jankowski and Bennett together at this point when it really isn't working at all anymore.

My guess is it goes back to a familiar complaint of mine and that is the insistance on keeping the 3M line together but that "3rd line" is producing jack squat and there needs to be changes to try and get something out it is somehow.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think perhaps some people have to go back to see how much talent was there in the first place.

I still see signs in Bennetts game that gives me hope he could be a 2nd line guy at some point but I see no reason to keep Jankowski and Bennett together at this point when it really isn't working at all anymore.

My guess is it goes back to a familiar complaint of mine and that is the insistance on keeping the 3M line together but that "3rd line" is producing jack squat and there needs to be changes to try and get something out it is somehow.

I’d like to see GG use Tkachuk as a spark plug. Throw him with guys that are struggling for a period here and there to try and get them going. I get that he’s trying to build chemistry but eventually you have to change something up.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He badly needs to start driving the net again. Probably what I thought was most impressive about him earlier in his career. Some players can be effective on the perimeter, Bennett doesn't have the shot or the vision to be one of them.

The problem I see is that he doesn't pick his spots well and rarely has his head on a swivel. I mean we routinely see him trying to drive the net when he's going 1 on 2 with no support, instead of dumping off to the trailing man. Or he'll try a cross ice pass when when someone is covered by the opposition and he can clearly carry the puck in. His intelligence and awareness just isn't there, and he seems to throw the weight of the world on his back when he's struggling.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Huh, so I was watching highlights this morning and saw the replay where it conclusively shows Johnny touching that puck. Are they going to change it? It's completely beyond doubt that it should be his goal.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Huh, so I was watching highlights this morning and saw the replay where it conclusively shows Johnny touching that puck. Are they going to change it? It's completely beyond doubt that it should be his goal.
Link? I rewatched it this morning too and contrary to last night, I actually thought it went straight in without hitting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad