GDT: Flames at Hawks 5PM MTN Game Time

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Not a fan of Smith but he is at least trying to prove me wrong. 3 good games by him. Hopefully I am not going to jinx him now.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Good win.
Big two weeks, Calgary stepped up and now we get some nasty matchups.

Notes from this game:
Chicago was lucky this was wasn’t done by the second period; Crawford kept them in it.
Our first line is absurd.
Our first pairing is elite.
The fourth line actually looks engaged and like jobs are depending on play.
Valimaki can’t come back from injury fast enough; I noticed Kylington a lot this game, and on the wrong side of notice.
Noah had a tough game, to start, but he’s been a rock for us... if this was Dougherty’s he’d already have a dozen of those what in the holy hell type plays.
Second line is fighting it a bit.
Neal is looking ultra dangerous out there, and I imagine things will turn shortly for him.

"Neal is ultra dangerous and things will turn for him shortly"should be in bold in the subject line of every game thread.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Good win.
Big two weeks, Calgary stepped up and now we get some nasty matchups.

Notes from this game:
Chicago was lucky this was wasn’t done by the second period; Crawford kept them in it.
Our first line is absurd.
Our first pairing is elite.
The fourth line actually looks engaged and like jobs are depending on play.
Valimaki can’t come back from injury fast enough; I noticed Kylington a lot this game, and on the wrong side of notice.
Noah had a tough game, to start, but he’s been a rock for us... if this was Dougherty’s he’d already have a dozen of those what in the holy hell type plays.
Second line is fighting it a bit.
Neal is looking ultra dangerous out there, and I imagine things will turn shortly for him.

That's over dramatic.

Kylington had a couple rough moments this game but he also had a couple great ones and overall, his play (and his results) has been very solid over his 4 games.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not long ago many posters wanted to split the top line. But I would agree on the production of our second unit. I would try Ryan on the right for 2-3 games instead of Bennett.

Yes, as usual, Bennett shows flashes of brilliant then he produces nothing. There is a reason he is not on the top lines. He is a better 3rd liner where there is no expectation of scoring.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I hate when people compare contracts signed 3-4 years ago to now. Complete disregard for cap inflation and recent comparables

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Not long ago many posters wanted to split the top line. But I would agree on the production of our second unit. I would try Ryan on the right for 2-3 games instead of Bennett.
Bennett's been playing fine, I'd actually try moving Jankowski up to C for a game or two and try Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett to shake up that line. Janks has been playing VERY well recently. That'd also give us a solid 3rd line when Frolik returns:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett
Frolik - Backlund - Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway/Czarnik

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bennett's been playing fine, I'd actually try moving Jankowski up to C for a game or two and try Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett to shake up that line. Janks has been playing VERY well recently. That'd also give us a solid 3rd line when Frolik returns:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett
Frolik - Backlund - Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway/Czarnik

Just a note, Backlund is quietly on pace for his second best career season in terms of point production.

Reactions: Dack

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Just a note, Backlund is quietly on pace for his second best career season in terms of point production.
Yeah he isn't playing bad, but that 2nd line has stalled recently and could use a shakeup. Janks is playing really well and we know he has chemistry with Bennett.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah he isn't playing bad, but that 2nd line has stalled recently and could use a shakeup. Janks is playing really well and we know he has chemistry with Bennett.

I think "played with Bennett in the past" and "has chemistry with Bennett" are two different things. A lot of users (me included) think their styles don't really mesh that well.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think "played with Bennett in the past" and "has chemistry with Bennett" are two different things. A lot of users (me included) think their styles don't really mesh that well.
I get what you're saying, but I'd argue the chemistry is there, just not the production. See what they can do with Tkachuk on their wing.

I dunno, I feel like there's lots of combinations worth trying. It's not like the team is playing poorly, but eeking out wins against bad teams isn't good enough.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I get what you're saying, but I'd argue the chemistry is there, just not the production. See what they can do with Tkachuk on their wing.

I dunno, I feel like there's lots of combinations worth trying. It's not like the team is playing poorly, but eeking out wins against bad teams isn't good enough.

Being fair, Crawford had a killer game; and that LA game, our shooting was whack. You can only hit so many posts or miss so many open nets before they start going in.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Way too many odd man rushes and breakaways happening in the last 3 games. Also poor defensive coverage by more than just the d-men thus allowing too many grade A scoring chances thereby making games way closer than they should be when playing relatively bad teams. If the Flames continue to play like this they are going to get destroyed in the next 3 games.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Way too many odd man rushes and breakaways happening in the last 3 games. Also poor defensive coverage by more than just the d-men thus allowing too many grade A scoring chances thereby making games way closer than they should be when playing relatively bad teams. If the Flames continue to play like this they are going to get destroyed in the next 3 games.
Mony touched on that in his intermission interview saying the forwards are cheating too much to the offensive side of the puck. The rushes come when our forwards are not being responsible or are not chipping and chasing properly.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Doesn't really seem like it. I love Backs. I think he truly is a #2C on most teams but he's been kind of a dud in the offensive zone all season. I wouldn't be surprised if his wrist is giving him a lot of trouble because he's been flubbing a lot of passes and making a mess of some really good chances in tight.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Doesn't really seem like it. I love Backs. I think he truly is a #2C on most teams but he's been kind of a dud in the offensive zone all season. I wouldn't be surprised if his wrist is giving him a lot of trouble because he's been flubbing a lot of passes and making a mess of some really good chances in tight.
Yeah, he should have more than 16 points playing with Tkachuk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I think his hand is messed up.
That being said, I think it's a perception type of thing as well. I honestly think the second line looks inferior to the past couple year, just because that top line is absurd, Matt Tkachuk looks like an elite winger and that the depth of this team looks fantastic.

Backs is on pace for like 48 points, top 20 possession numbers league wide for a forward and is still an elite PKer.

We're so deep this year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->