GDT: Flames at Hawks 5PM MTN Game Time

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
our 2nd line has turned into crap lately. I feel like Janko deserves a look at some point. Because our current trio is playing like hot garbage. Not impressed by anyone except our top line and top d pairing, Hamonic, and Smith.

Reactions: Cyrano

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
What the hell is wrong with Tkachuk?? Bad play after bad play, lazy and lousy passes all throughout this game and the past several games.

This team will be doomed as soon as he becomes the team's highest paid player.

Leave this forum and never come back.

Tkachuk is a God damn beautiful Angel and will be paid as such

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He made some good saves but he was not that busy

Smith moved from horrible to barely acceptable now.
This is absurd. Smith had the biggest impact on this victory out of any Flames player. He made a half-dozen saves on breakaways or point-blank chances like the Anisimov one. That's way more than a goalie should have to deal with.

I'm fine with your second sentence, because he broke trust with a lot of fans and can't earn it back in one game, but that first statement is asinine.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is absurd. Smith had the biggest impact on this victory out of any Flames player. He made a half-dozen saves on breakaways or point-blank chances like the Anisimov one. That's way more than a goalie should have to deal with.

I'm fine with your second sentence, because he broke trust with a lot of fans and can't earn it back in one game, but that first statement is asinine.

Well, I did say he made some good saves?

And he was not as busy as Crawford, not even close. So the statement is nowhere close to asinine than your strong objection to it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

And he was not as busy as Crawford, not even close. So the statement is nowhere close to asinine than your strong objection to it.

Are you suggesting that how busy a goalie is is a direct measure of how difficult the game was for him? Smith made more difficult saves this game than Crawford.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

And he was not as busy as Crawford, not even close.

Scoring chances were 20 Flames 20 Blackhawks. High danger chances were 7 Flames 8 Blackhawks.

Both goalies were equally busy. Flames just got a lot more outside shots on Crawford because we had the edge in zone time, but the Blackhawks had the edge in odd-man rushes and breakaways. Every period we had a Blackhawk sneak behind our D multiple times.

Smith was fantastic tonight.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Are you suggesting that how busy a goalie is is a direct measure of how difficult the game was for him? Smith made more difficult saves this game than Crawford.

Did you watch the first period? Without Crawford it would have been a blown out.

What else can I say man, he made good saves...is that too much to expect of your number 1 goalie? I moved him up the ladder....do you want me to admit he is an allstar now?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Scoring chances were 20 Flames 20 Blackhawks. High danger chances were 7 Flames 8 Blackhawks.

Both goalies were equally busy. Flames just got a lot more outside shots on Crawford because we had the edge in zone time, but the Blackhawks had the edge in odd-man rushes and breakaways. Every period we had a Blackhawk sneak behind our D multiple times.

Smith was fantastic tonight.

OK I can admit he played well, never really dispute that

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

BTW, these stats were 5v5

All situations

Flames - 25 SCF, 10 HDCF
Blackhawks - 28 SCF, 11HDCF

Again, the two goalies were equally busy. Smith saw more quality, Crawford saw more quantity, but both saw a lot of quality.

Last edited:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Well that's a **** take if I have ever seen one.
Leave this forum and never come back.

Tkachuk is a God damn beautiful Angel and will be paid as such

Delusional much? I love Chucky and he'll be a vital piece of our team going forward but he is just not the best player on this team.

That lousy cute pass he tried to make at the end would've killed this team if Hamonic didn't bail him out. He's been trying to force too many pretty passes recently. He's at his best when he uses his body to fend off defenders to buy time and space for his linemates.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Special teams win games. Only 1 ES goal for both teams.

It was a good goaltending battle too but Smith shouldn't have had to bail us out like this. Think that's the first time this season that he's won two in a row.

2nd line needs to pick it up as well next game
It was Smith's 3rd win in a row (Ari, LA, Chi) and he's won 2 game in a row on 2 previous occasions this season as well (Van, Nsh) and (Tor, Col)

Reactions: Mobiandi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Damn, some of ya'all act like Smith is graded based on the Asian grading scale.

Refresher:

asian-grading-scale-a-average-b-bad-c-catastrophic-d-15217648.png

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Fell asleep around the start of the second, missed all the action. Glad we got the W, I guess.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Delusional much? I love Chucky and he'll be a vital piece of our team going forward but he is just not the best player on this team.

That lousy cute pass he tried to make at the end would've killed this team if Hamonic didn't bail him out. He's been trying to force too many pretty passes recently. He's at his best when he uses his body to fend off defenders to buy time and space for his linemates.

You can only have good opinion.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Since the 9-1 loss to Pittsburgh, the flames have gone 11-3-2. They've been a very good team this year since finding their footing, and that record has really illustrated it for me.

Reactions: Cyrano

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good win.
Big two weeks, Calgary stepped up and now we get some nasty matchups.

Notes from this game:
Chicago was lucky this was wasn’t done by the second period; Crawford kept them in it.
Our first line is absurd.
Our first pairing is elite.
The fourth line actually looks engaged and like jobs are depending on play.
Valimaki can’t come back from injury fast enough; I noticed Kylington a lot this game, and on the wrong side of notice.
Noah had a tough game, to start, but he’s been a rock for us... if this was Dougherty’s he’d already have a dozen of those what in the holy hell type plays.
Second line is fighting it a bit.
Neal is looking ultra dangerous out there, and I imagine things will turn shortly for him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Having Hathaway and Lomberg on the ice at the same time is like shooting ourselves in the foot.

Late in game was ridiculous.
I liked them most of the game, but when the game hangs in the balance with like 5 minutes left to play, both those guys should be firmly stapled on the bench.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
our 2nd line has turned into crap lately. I feel like Janko deserves a look at some point. Because our current trio is playing like hot garbage. Not impressed by anyone except our top line and top d pairing, Hamonic, and Smith.
Not long ago many posters wanted to split the top line. But I would agree on the production of our second unit. I would try Ryan on the right for 2-3 games instead of Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad