GDT: Flames at Ducks: This is always fun. Sun Nov 6, 7:30 PM MT on SN1

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is it just me or do the Ducks literally know the exact speed and accuracy of their passes and we can't even figure out how to skate? Seriously we need to make some trades. We should look to Nashville, Carolina, Winnipeg, and Tampa. Those are ideal partners right now.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Is it just me or do the Ducks literally know the exact speed and accuracy of their passes and we can't even figure out how to skate? Seriously we need to make some trades. We should look to Nashville, Carolina, Winnipeg, and Tampa. Those are ideal partners right now.

Who would you trade?

Keep in mind we have a little over $8,000 in cap space.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We have a combined special teams percent (PP%+PK%) of 80.75 after tonight's game. Generally speaking you want that number to be at least 100%.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Who would you trade?

Keep in mind we have a little over $8,000 in cap space.

Well as hard as it is we might have to trade one of Brodie, Giordano, or Monahan. Not for scraps however. If we deal with Tampa, we're going to have to bury someone (Grossman you idiot), since we're going to have to take back some salary if we want a player like: Stralman, Palat, Johnson, Bishop, Killorn. Nashville, Carolina, and Winnipeg can easily absorb an extra $1-2mill in cap hit. Also with how much Forsberg and Gaudreau have both underperformed, would trading the two for each other (Mind you Nashville either has to take back another bad contract or we get another piece back) work?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
With all the capspace coming due next year, I don't think you panic now and undo the entire rebuild because of a bad start (that is still better than last year's start).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

i know we're (the flames) having trouble scoring, but we're (the #hcanes) open to trading defense for a forward who is not useless

also have space to take on a bad contract maybe

i know the flames are up near the cap

one of y'all posted on the carolina board about monahan for lindholm+

what y'all think of that idea if you haven't seen the thread

May 27, 2012
Earth
i know we're (the flames) having trouble scoring, but we're (the #hcanes) open to trading defense for a forward who is not useless

also have space to take on a bad contract maybe

i know the flames are up near the cap

one of y'all posted on the carolina board about monahan for lindholm+

what y'all think of that idea if you haven't seen the thread

pitch.gif

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Fowler, for someone that the board always rates are pure offence, he's actually not bad defensively; eye test at least.

he's probably better defensively than he is offensively. the notion that he's an offensive defenseman is a myth based on expectations coming out of junior. he's a good puck moving defenseman, and he's a great skater, but that doesn't necessarily lead to offense.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
he's probably better defensively than he is offensively. the notion that he's an offensive defenseman is a myth based on expectations coming out of junior. he's a good puck moving defenseman, and he's a great skater, but that doesn't necessarily lead to offense.

Possession also doesn't mean he's good or bad defensively. It just means how much of an importance he is in not having to play defensively (I know it sounds strange) but what I'm trying to say is a mep corsi (50-51%) while playing almost entirely in your own zone and being a great shot suppressor is better defensively than a good corsi (52-53%) while playing mostly in the Ozone and still giving up lots of chances, just generating a lot as well. New Jersey these few years have terrible corsi, but their corsi against actually is among the better ones in the league, it's their corsi for that's dreadful. Senators in the 2013-2014 season had excellent corsi for, but their corsi against was bad in fact among the bottom 5, yet they still had a positive corsi overall. In the end positive corsi will always outweight negative minus outliers, however for pure defensive notion corsi isn't the best way to indicate. Pure defensively Fowler is actually pretty good, not elite, but good to great. He sucks in corsi overall because he's shelled with dumb partners and mostly Dzone starts, so he rarely generates chances. When he's paired with Vatanen, his corsi is far better. Also man if we got our a** handed to us tonight, imagine when Lindholm comes back...

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames are going to suck again this year, I'd seriously advocate for trading Giordano.

It just doesn't make any sense to waste the 'best' years of his contract on a bottom feeder and then get stuck with the 'declining' years when the team finally (in theory) becomes competitive.

I'd have no problem with keeping him if the Flames were a bona fide playoff team but since that's too hard for them, they might as well make a move and try again.

No interest in moving other core members (Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Hamilton and Backlund) for quantity at this stage.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If the Flames are going to suck again this year, I'd seriously advocate for trading Giordano.

It just doesn't make any sense to waste the 'best' years of his contract on a bottom feeder and then get stuck with the 'declining' years when the team finally (in theory) becomes competitive.

I'd have no problem with keeping him if the Flames were a bona fide playoff team but since that's too hard for them, they might as well make a move and try again.

No interest in moving other core members (Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Hamilton and Backlund) for quantity at this stage.

While I loathe the idea and implications of trading our Captain, it is true that if we decide to move on from Giordano this season is the most opportune time. Lets keep in mind though we probably are looking at getting maybe a 1st, and some prospects back for him. I don't see a deal where we get a young 'bluechip' or anything like that.

So if we did trade him it would more so be for a change in direction than trying to recover assets. I think the return would unfortunately be very Bouwmeester-esque.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
While I loathe the idea and implications of trading our Captain, it is true that if we decide to move on from Giordano this season is the most opportune time. Lets keep in mind though we probably are looking at getting maybe a 1st, and some prospects back for him. I don't see a deal where we get a young 'bluechip' or anything like that.

So if we did trade him it would more so be for a change in direction than trying to recover assets. I think the return would unfortunately be very Bouwmeester-esque.

Nah in reality Giordano still has 2-3 elite years left, 2 more good years and one relatively overpaid to ugly year. I feel one team that could take on Giordano is Tampa. Hedman-Giordano would be deadly (Yes Giordano can play right side with Hedman, besides I've seen Giordano play right side with Russell/Engelland, etc.) Anyways, one player I really want to target is Palat. Paladin-Backbreaker-Froyo (IDK good names for Backlund and Frolik) would be the best 2-way forward line in the league and would allow Gaudreau and Monahan to wake up on the 2nd line. Of course in order to get Palat, we'd have to take back another piece as well that with Palat in total makes more than Giordano. Giordano's contract also fits when a lot of Tampa's useless players get off their contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad