Rumor: Flames and Lindholm Closing in on an Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Finally! Hoping its 4.75 just to make it look a little better, but anything around 5 is fine long term.

OldStyleCubFan

Jan 13, 2013
1/2 point a game and a career -70 gets you 5m/5y deal to avoid going to arbitration? Yep, a lockout is just around the corner.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
1/2 point a game and a career -70 gets you 5m/5y deal to avoid going to arbitration? Yep, a lockout is just around the corner.

What? With the way the cap is (and the likely hood of him being with Gaudreau and Monahan which would improve his stats), whats the issue here exactly?

Reactions: Rockmorton

OldStyleCubFan

Jan 13, 2013
What? With the way the cap is (and the likely hood of him being with Gaudreau and Monahan which would improve his stats), whats the issue here exactly?

Sounds like we agree that contract isn't based on what he has done but what might due if paired with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Reactions: Cyrano

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sounds like we agree that contract isn't based on what he has done but what might due if paired with Gaudreau and Monahan.

I mean Ferland got 41 points with them, why couldn't Lindholm get 55-60? My person rule is 1 million dollars/10 points for fair value with today's cap. So yeah, 5 million is about right.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Because you are basing plus minus like it actually means anything, which outside of a team context, it really doesn't. Carolina has had arguably the worst goaltending in the league over the past five years. When your goalie can't stop a beach ball, it's going to affect +/-

Not to mention, 5 million is the going rate for 40-50 point guys lately if you haven't noticed. With the cap going up, salaries go up accordingly.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It's not even guaranteed that he's playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. 5x6 is not quite as fair value as folks in this thread would like to make it out to be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, +/- is always indicative of a players play. I mean, it's not like Lindholm just spent years on a team with terrible goaltending playing heavy defensive minutes, right? Your post reeks of cluelessness.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because you are basing plus minus like it actually means anything, which outside of a team context, it really doesn't. Carolina has had arguably the worst goaltending in the league over the past five years. When your goalie can't stop a beach ball, it's going to affect +/-

Not to mention, 5 million is the going rate for 40-50 point guys lately if you haven't noticed. With the cap going up, salaries go up accordingly.
I'm sorry FF, but you are not allowed to bring sound reason and logic into this discussion.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Even if he is a second line, 0.5 PPG player who has a decent 2 way game, 5 per isn't bad. Remember, we got Hudler like what, 6-7 years ago on a 4x4, and he was a 0.5 PPG second liner when we signed him. Those types of players were getting 4 per like 5 years ago in a lot of cases, cap has gone up, so has cost. Plus he is still young so it's good years.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Am I the only one that just expects a lockout, regardless of what sort of contracts get tossed around? I've come to accept that it's just part of the game now.
Maybe but are there any real issues that would cause a lengthy work stoppage?

PA will want lower escrow and participation in the Olympics.

Owners will want more of a share of HRR (maybe) and better protection from themselves (shorter terms, lower player maximum salary)

As for Lindholm, I think $5.25 million x 5 years.

I think Hanifin gets the same kind of deal; possibly more given Hamilton got more (5.75) at the same age for similar production.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's not even guaranteed that he's playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. 5x6 is not quite as fair value as folks in this thread would like to make it out to be.
Honestly. Even 5x6 is a little expensive for an RFA who barely crests 15 goals and 40 points on an annual basis. People are all "yeah but Lindholm will improve" etc, but the guy is turning 24 this year and he's approaching 400 games played in the NHL. That's not the point in the career of the average player where you think "yup, here's where he breaks out offensively." He's been getting PP time for years (including top unit numbers last season), and was top 3 in total TOI/game among Canes forwards, so it's not like his production is being suppressed by limited ice time or opportunities.

Everything about Lindholm absolutely screams What You See Is What You Get, and while 5 mil AAV isn't outrageous, it sure as hell isn't a bargain for Lindholm as he currently is (and likely will stay).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad