TSN: : Flames and Canes talked about Lindholm trade. Could be part of a bigger deal.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hanifin looks like a #2/#3D if all goes right. Lindholm is a 2nd line winger. I'm not saying they are bad players but trading a long term #1D when you don't need to for a couple pieces you should be able to build internally via the draft is how teams get stuck swimming in mediocrity.
If all goes right? Hanifin is already easily a #3.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You’re ridiculous. Hamilton for Lindholm and Hanifin is not even close to fair

It’s actually not ridiculous at all. If you had any clue whatsoever what you were talking about, you wouldn’t make that kind of statement. If you want to know the truth, don’t take my word for it. Simply look at past trades that involve top pairing dman under the age of 25.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I guess it really comes down to what you think of Hanifin v Hamilton doesn't it.

I gotta agree with Gnome. Hanifin is trending as good as Dougie (if not better) than Dougie was at the same age. Not saying he will get to that level, but there’s no reason to think he won’t. Peters also knows him very well and knows what type of usuage he’s capable of. I think he bottoms out as a #2.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It’s actually not ridiculous at all. If you had any clue whatsoever what you were talking about, you wouldn’t make that kind of statement. If you want to know the truth, don’t take my word for it. Simply look at past trades that involve top pairing dman under the age of 25.
The thing is that Hanifin is looking like a guy that's tracking to be very similar to Hamilton. By the time Hanifin is 25 and if Lindholm finally reaches his potential, this deal could turn out to be pretty lopsided. It's just too much of a gamble for my liking.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
TSN's Scouting Report on Hamilton & Hanifin. Who wants to guess which applies to which player (I omitted some descriptors which would be give-aways)?

SCOUTING REPORT

AssetsHas a big frame, a good point shot and all-around ability. Is capable of putting up excellent numbers from the back end. Can quarterback an NHL power play, too.
FlawsDespite his frame, he doesn't usually punish opposing forwards physically. Therefore, he needs to keep more opponents honest. Lacks consistency from game to game.
Career potentialTalented, inconsistent all-round defenseman with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SCOUTING REPORT

AssetsIs an exceptional skater with fluid instincts and plenty of confidence in his ability to move the puck quickly and efficiently. Owns all-around acumen and the ability to quarterback a power play in the NHL.
FlawsHis frame is very projectable, but he will need to fill out and get physically stronger in order to better handle NHL power forwards at the highest level. Must also work on his overall play without the puck.
Career potentialTalented all-around defenseman with good upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing is that Hanifin is looking like a guy that's tracking to be very similar to Hamilton. By the time Hanifin is 25 and if Lindholm finally reaches his potential, this deal could turn out to be pretty lopsided. It's just too much of a gamble for my liking.

Which is fine, and this reply isn’t ridiculous. However, as of today Hanifin isn’t not as good and not as known of a commodity. Dougie isn’t much older, has a great contract and essentially becoming an elite dman right before our eyes. He has a ton of value and the Flames won’t move him unless they get a deal such as this. Now if the Canes feel about Hanifin the way that you do, they will not make that move. However, reports keep on coming out (similar to Hamilton) that he could be moved. So there’s definitely smoke here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well they have to do SOMETHING. When was the last time they made the playoffs, 2009?

True, but they already have done "SOMETHING".
  • They have a new owner
  • a new GM
  • a new headcoach
  • will be adding Svechnikov to the line-up
  • will be adding Necas to the line-up
  • have moved on from Kruger
  • have moved on from Derek Ryan
  • and will be making changes to the Goaltending.

I still think they'll trade Skinner and maybe move a defenseman, so with that, the team will be vastly different than last year.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm hoping that if we can land Lindholm, that our brutal RW depth will force Peters to play him with Gaudreau and Monahan. ALso hoping that with Backlund, Frolik and Brouwer, he might not be as quick top stick him in a defensive role.

I mean, Chucky was thrown into a defensive role and the guy was on pace for 60 points this year. That being said, I do think you could do a lot with a guy like Lindholm, he could essentially be a major part in all three top 9 lines.

Will resist any urge to comment about Brouwer being a defensive player ahead of most. To be fair, he plays a lot of defence, because he never has the puck when he's on the ice.

Reactions: Rockmorton

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Because this will be another thread where actual intelligent conversation can continue without you bringing down the collective iq
i must be a powerful guy if i can bring down the collective iq of the many people in this thread...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad