TSN: : Flames and Canes talked about Lindholm trade. Could be part of a bigger deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My biggest issue is that we are not going to get an equivalent piece for him. It'd likely be a deal for pieces. Phaneuf deal all over again.

My issue as well.
I hate dealing stars. Mostly because Flames GMs have always been terrible at it. I trust Brad a lot more than any other GM's we have... but man, I hate that Dougie keeps coming up in these reports. I really think he's a core piece for us.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
My biggest issue is that we are not going to get an equivalent piece for him. It'd likely be a deal for pieces. Phaneuf deal all over again.

Phaneuf was more like the Hoffman trade where we kind of just took what we could get to get Phaneuf off the team.

But I agree that we shouldn't be trading Hamilton unless we can get an equivalent 1-for-1 piece for him. Not lesser pieces in higher quantity.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I actually think this trade would be worth the risk. Yes we’re not getting back a similar talent for Dougie, but who out there is the star forward with term and an attractive cap hit?

If both Lindholm and Hanafin can break out on a different team, would that not make us a better team than with just Dougie?

I think this is an example where we’re getting the right balance of quality and quantity back.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Except in this trade scenario you are getting a 21 year old dman who looks to be a stud by the time he hits his prime. In addition you get Lindholm, a kid who looks to be breaking into a top 6 winger/center role with an excellent 200 foot game.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Except in this trade scenario you are getting a 21 year old dman who looks to be a stud by the time he hits his prime. In addition you get Lindholm, a kid who looks to be breaking into a top 6 winger/center role with an excellent 200 foot game.

Hanifin looks like a #2/#3D if all goes right. Lindholm is a 2nd line winger. I'm not saying they are bad players but trading a long term #1D when you don't need to for a couple pieces you should be able to build internally via the draft is how teams get stuck swimming in mediocrity.

Reactions: flamesforcup

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hanifin looks like a #2/#3D if all goes right. Lindholm is a 2nd line winger. I'm not saying they are bad players but trading a long term #1D when you don't need to for a couple pieces you should be able to build internally via the draft is how teams get stuck swimming in mediocrity.

I think your selling Hanifin a bit short, if all goes right he's #1 dman. Not saying that's a given, but at 21, sky is the limit for him. Getting a top 6 RHS RWer is a nice bonus and Lindholm is still only 23. Anyway, it could come back to bite us, but I'd wager there is a chance for us to look back on this trade (if it happened) and be quite happy.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
25 year old 45-50 point 6'6 great skating defense-man don't grow on trees, if he's traded it better be for a future superstar not a Lindholm

And that Elias Lindholm? If Calgary is giving up Hamilton, they should get a better player than Lindholm back...
I was just responding to a question asking why Hamilton is being popped up in alot of trade threads. I obviously would want a more high caliber forward than Lindholm in exchange

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't really want to do that to poor Lindy. Sending any forward with talent to BP is a waste of that talent. He'll get D.Ryan as a FA, no doubt. I'm not in favor of Hamilton for a young 21yr old up and comer, either.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think your selling Hanifin a bit short, if all goes right he's #1 dman. Not saying that's a given, but at 21, sky is the limit for him. Getting a top 6 RHS RWer is a nice bonus and Lindholm is still only 23. Anyway, it could come back to bite us, but I'd wager there is a chance for us to look back on this trade (if it happened) and be quite happy.

I guess it really comes down to what you think of Hanifin v Hamilton doesn't it.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
For those arguing about what the deal was about:
LeBrun Notebook: Does adding Trotz seal the deal for...
–Elias Lindholm is a player to monitor. The Hurricanes, in a perfect world, would simply like to re-sign the RFA forward but talks haven’t progressed to this point although the player’s agent, Peter Wallen, and GM Don Waddell were slated to chat on Friday. We’ll see where that goes. In the meantime, while it’s way more likely that Jeff Skinner and Justin Faulk get traded out of Carolina, Lindholm is the player that’s garnered by far the most interest from other teams. And why not, he’s 23 years old, can play centre and right wing, and the best is yet to come from a young player who had 16 goals and 44 points this past season. Among the many teams that have reached out over the past few weeks is the Calgary Flames, who are searching for a top-six upgrade. I believe those conversations got large enough where the names of Noah Hanifin from the Hurricanes and Dougie Hamilton from the Flames were also involved at one point, but those talks fizzled, as far as I can tell. I guess you never know if both teams re-engage over the next few weeks or not. Again, at the end of the day, the priority for Carolina is to re-sign Lindholm and keep him if they can.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I guess it really comes down to what you think of Hanifin v Hamilton doesn't it.

While I think Hamilton is currently better, I don't think that'll be the case in a few years. Hanifin has done well for himself on a (no offence to Canes fans) sub par team to say the least. A kid at his age is projecting to be a top pairing guy with his resume so far. Add in the fact we get a top 6 player with a RHS? Yeah, I'd make this deal, there is risk, but it's worth it imo.

Reactions: Rockmorton

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
For those arguing about what the deal was about:
LeBrun Notebook: Does adding Trotz seal the deal for...

While I don't think the OP trade is something Carolina would consider based on their team needs. One thing that makes sense is the solid cap hit (with some length) that Hamilton is on for being a top pairing dman. If contract talks are not going well with Hanifin/Lindholm, it wouldn't surprise me that they'd look for a star player locked up to a reasonable price for a few more years, regardless of the position he plays.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
How does that lower their value? Their RFAs.

Regardless they’ll probably sign soon
You don't think that higher contract asks hurt an RFAs value? I'm not saying that is the case here, but if they are looking for 11-12 million combined per year, the Canes might be more willing to trade them for less than if they were willing to sign for a combined 8-9 million

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Hamilton could also get hurt or have that famous attitude of his rear it's ever so ugly head (I keep hearing about one anyways) and ask for a trade. There's risks both sides, but this one leaves us with two talented players who fit in the age group we want, are familiar with our new coach's systems and address our positional needs (upgrade RHS RW). The fact that Hamilton would go to an Eastern team is a bonus too (don't want him dominating us in Oilers colours for the next half decade to we!?)

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'd rather the Flames trade another unprotected first rounder than move Hamilton. Crazy how underrated he is around here. Getting Hanifin back in the deal would lessen the sting, but still.

Adding Lindholm though, now that's something I could get behind.
Remember 2013, Monahan or Lindholm?

giphy.gif

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd rather the Flames trade another unprotected first rounder than move Hamilton. Crazy how underrated he is around here. Getting Hanifin back in the deal would lessen the sting, but still.

Adding Lindholm though, now that's something I could get behind.
Remember 2013, Monahan or Lindholm?

giphy.gif
Remember 2017 Monahan or MacKinnon?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Peters loved Lindholm.

Loved him so much that he barely played him in his natural position, center. While Lindy has an excellent wrist shot, it can be erratic. But when it's on, it's one of the better ones. Additionally, Lindholm is good at the dot, 54.5% with nearly 800 draws taken (most playing RW when a right handed player was called for). But his forte is his vision and his passing. He's grown more confident over the last 2 years and when played in the middle, he excelled....but Bill Peters didn't see that until about 2/3 of the way through this past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->