TSN: : Flames and Canes talked about Lindholm trade. Could be part of a bigger deal.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The only reason Bennett scored 26 points in each of the past two years is because Glen Gulutzan was possibly the worst coach in the NHL at anything that didn't involve 5v5 corsi generating systems, and he actively tanked Bennett's career. Bennett's more talented than Lindholm on a whole, and if given an opportunity is the single highest upside player on Calgary's entire roster with legitimate 90pt and Selke type talent. The idea that that list of LWers would deserve a spot over Bennett based on merit is not surprising from someone who's never seen what Bennett is capable of. There are short-sighted Flames fans who would love to trade Bennett for pennies on the dollar, but not this one. I honestly don't think even Carolina's best players, i.e. Aho or Teravainen, are worth what Bennett can become.
I want what youre smoking

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The only reason Bennett scored 26 points in each of the past two years is because Glen Gulutzan was possibly the worst coach in the NHL at anything that didn't involve 5v5 corsi generating systems, and he actively tanked Bennett's career. Bennett's more talented than Lindholm on a whole, and if given an opportunity is the single highest upside player on Calgary's entire roster with legitimate 90pt and Selke type talent.

I hate to break it to you, but the only coach that produced a higher difference between Corsi and Goals For than Calgary's Gulutzan (53.4% CF with 48.2% GF = -5.28) was Carolina's Bill Peters (54.5% CF with 46.7% GF = -7.78). Peters is a "Corsi generation that leads to very little production" machine.

So there is a worse coach and your team hired him. Good luck.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I keep thinking Lindholm is on the verge of breaking out massively. I think a change of scenery for him will do that

Crazy he is only 23 years old... Seems like hes been around forever

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I keep thinking Lindholm is on the verge of breaking out massively. I think a change of scenery for him will do that

Crazy he is only 23 years old... Seems like hes been around forever

Canes fans hope that Lindholm centering Svechnikov can have a Couturier-Giroux like effect. Put a superstar playmaker/scorer next to the your Center with a great 200 foot game and hope they run wild. Add another scorer/banger at LW like JVR/McGinn/Zykov for an extra punch.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
hmmmmm...I'd probably pull the trigger as a flames fan. In order to stomach losing a top pairing dman, you have to be bold on the two young guys coming back. I am high on both Hanifin and Lindholm from what I know, so I'd say yes and be cautiously optimistic i guess.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
If the flames build a trade around Dougie for Lindholm, I might actually cheer for them again.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Canes fans hope that Lindholm centering Svechnikov can have a Couturier-Giroux like effect. Put a superstar playmaker/scorer next to the your Center with a great 200 foot game and hope they run wild. Add another scorer/banger at LW like JVR/McGinn/Zykov for an extra punch.

This, and I'd love McGinn there.

Dec 30, 2013
The only reason Bennett scored 26 points in each of the past two years is because Glen Gulutzan was possibly the worst coach in the NHL at anything that didn't involve 5v5 corsi generating systems, and he actively tanked Bennett's career. Bennett's more talented than Lindholm on a whole, and if given an opportunity is the single highest upside player on Calgary's entire roster with legitimate 90pt and Selke type talent. The idea that that list of LWers would deserve a spot over Bennett based on merit is not surprising from someone who's never seen what Bennett is capable of. There are short-sighted Flames fans who would love to trade Bennett for pennies on the dollar, but not this one. I honestly don't think even Carolina's best players, i.e. Aho or Teravainen, are worth what Bennett can become.

Bolded describes every season Lindholm has played aside from his rookie year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The more I watch Bennett the less talented I think he actually is.

Kid has oodles of talent, he just hasn't been able to translate it into NHL success.

1) Discipline, hard to get into a the flow of the game when you take a couple of dumb penalties every 60 minutes.
2) Stop trying to do everything yourself and blow through 2 NHL defenders at the same time. Bennett needs to have his head on a swivel and realize that outside of McDavid, nobody in the NHL is splitting dmen on a regular basis. Use your teammates, simplify your game.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Is Carolina really looking to upgrade their D like that? I don’t think the gap between Hanifin and Dougie is that big.. certainly not worth losing Lindholm.

I thought Carolina wanted to upgrade their offense? This deal makes no sense.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Is Carolina really looking to upgrade their D like that? I don’t think the gap between Hanifin and Dougie is that big.. certainly not worth losing Lindholm.

TBH, I don't get it either, doesn't seem to be CAR biggest need as an outsider...Who knows though, Hamilton is locked up to a great value contract for a few more years. Getting a top pairing dman for that kind of money must be enticing to a cash strapped team like Carolina.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Here is the quote:

But Lindholm is a player, I’m told, that’s garnering the most interest. And maybe there’s a reason for that. Dynamic young player, still only 23, can play center, he can play wing.
“We’re told that one of the teams that has had some conversations with Carolina about him are the Calgary Flames, who could use that kind of upgrade.

So the reported facts say that 1) Lindholm is garnering interest and 2) Calgary is interested as they need a forward upgrade

Now, those conversations I think included other names, including perhaps Noah Hanifin, Dougie Hamilton – a guy that I think Carolina would want as part of a bigger deal with Calgary. Whether or not that goes to the next level here we’ll see here.

Here is the break in reality. Now LeBrun is saying "I THINK" other names were included. "PERHAPS" Noah Hanifin and Dougie Hamilton - a guy "I THINK" Carolina would want

So what do we know for sure?
1) Teams are interested in Lindholm
2) Calgary is one of them
3) Nothing else because the rest is idle speculation an opinion by LeBrun

What do Calgary fans read? OMG we are getting Hanifin + Lindholm for Hanifin

This article suggests that Calgary is trying to acquire Lindholm from Carolina. That's the only motivation for a deal. Carolina and Calgary don't make great trading partners, so that is probably where the conversations ended.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I miss when the Canes posters all had names related to the Anton.

I'm surprised it took you this long to show up when Bennett's name was mentioned and make our fanbase look bad.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018

canes leafs trade makes much more sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad