Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 3rd round pick (from TOR)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin-Andersson(they’ve been effective two years in a row, not breaking them up.)

Valimaki-Tanev (let’s see if Tanev can get Valimaki going like he got Gio and Honifin going.)

Mackey-Zadorov (skating ability, hopefully they turn into a good shut down pair.)

Mike Stone (he was serviceable last year I thought)

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think this guy is going to surprise a lot of you folks. He's going to become a fan favorite in a hurry.

He was quite clearly the #3 dman in Chicago last year and actually had very strong underlaying defensive metrics despite starting in the offensive zone just 34% of the time. To put that in perspective Tanev was the lowest on our roster starting in the offensive zone 44.5% of the time. The top pair in Chicago were absolutely torched last season and Duncan Keith was the biggest reason why that defense struggled.

We are going to have to buy up UFA years here, so anybody expecting anything under his QO is out to lunch.

I honestly think he compares favorably to Brandon Carlo.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think this guy is going to surprise a lot of you folks. He's going to become a fan favorite in a hurry.

He was quite clearly the #3 dman in Chicago last year and actually had very strong underlaying defensive metrics despite starting in the offensive zone just 34% of the time. To put that in perspective Tanev was the lowest on our roster starting in the offensive zone 44.5% of the time. The top pair in Chicago were absolutely torched last season and Duncan Keith was the biggest reason why that defense struggled.

We are going to have to buy up UFA years here, so anybody expecting anything under his QO is out to lunch.

So why did chicago and Seattle pass on him for so little?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So why did chicago and Seattle pass on him for so little?

Chicago brought in a top four hometown kid in McCabe long term which made Zadorov expendable.

I can't speak for Seattle but Francis has already been made to look foolish a handful of times and the season hasn't even begun.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago brought in a top four hometown kid in McCabe long term which made Zadorov expendable.

I can't speak for Seattle but Francis has already been made to look foolish a handful of times and the season hasn't even begun.

Ok hopefully you are right, he is definitely the type of dman the Flames needs

just hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Michael Stone after Treliving inks him into a long term contract

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ok hopefully you are right, he is definitely the type of dman the Flames needs

just hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Michael Stone after Treliving inks him into a long term contract
i am just hoping they don't sign Michael Stone to play with him after he signs a long term contract..

Reactions: GumbyCan2

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

He was that good in Chicago that he ended up in Calgary.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How people sit when they have moderate familiarity with Zadorov's career:

69dd4f6bea4966df9c8d167c03c8c909b3-13-wojak-00.2x.h473.w710.jpg

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
My hope is that Juuso beats him out, but I have a feeling we're going to see:
Skill/Meat on all three lines:

Hanifin (good skating player) - Tanev (top tier defensive player).
Zadorov (meat) - Andersson (Kind of middle skill/thicc guy)
Valimaki (skill, good skating player) - Meat

:laugh:

do not be shocked if we see Gudbrandson in a Flames jersey fam.

Zadorov-Andersson would be a disaster. Two immobile dmen on the ice at the same time would be a nightmarish scene.

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin-Andersson(they’ve been effective two years in a row, not breaking them up.)

Valimaki-Tanev (let’s see if Tanev can get Valimaki going like he got Gio and Honifin going.)

Mackey-Zadorov (skating ability, hopefully they turn into a good shut down pair.)

This. This. This.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Very good comparison, on Brandon Carlo to Zads.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I am saying he sucks, apologies if I wasn't clear enough.
You're not playing Nikita Zadorov to be a " Bobby Orr replica"! He is a solid, smart reading Dman, defensive side of the Red center line with a great shot, solid passing and "Byfleign-level" force i man-handling opposing forwards coming around the net, own zone.
I get it he is not 5-mil$+ valued player buthe can hit and control opposition aggressive forces similar to Hamonic younger years. Flames need this for Hanifin and Valimaki and Andersson to progress in O-drive starts. See jow he fits and plays? To call him _hitty and not-worthy is closed in, blinders-on viewing as a team fan.

Reactions: Nanuuk

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For the bolded, they seemed to not know what the hell they were doing from the get-go :laugh:
Seattle had lots to go over and muse through and evaluate. It was never clear before the ex draft that Zads would be available to them.
And, Chicago has been a tire-fire of compete and coaching, play style defensively for a couple to few years. Can't pin their lack of success on Zadorov alone!

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
You're not playing Nikita Zadorov to be a " Bobby Orr replica"! He is a solid, smart reading Dman, defensive side of the Red center line with a great shot, solid passing and "Byfleign-level" force i man-handling opposing forwards coming around the net, own zone.
I get it he is not 5-mil$+ valued player buthe can hit and control opposition aggressive forces similar to Hamonic younger years. Flames need this for Hanifin and Valimaki and Andersson to progress in O-drive starts. See jow he fits and plays? To call him _hitty and not-worthy is closed in, blinders-on viewing as a team fan.
Not going to share a blind, pretentious hurrah just because some pylon got traded or signed with us. Third pick is defo more valuable- especially after we finish in the lower parts of the league.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
i am just hoping they don't sign Michael Stone to play with him after he signs a long term contract..
You play a Zadorov with younger puck-moving Dmen.
Home is looked after and let the younger play-driver types drive the play.
Hope they don't stick him and Tanev together. And I get it that he and Andy would be pretty slow foot-speed/ quickness wise.
Mackey-with-Zads on right side could be fine.
Markstrom should be thrilled tohave a decent large-body defender clearing his front, crease area.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

I feel this is our best current option. Would be excited to see how these pairs work out and don’t mind bringing Stone back as an extra.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I feel this is our best current option. Would be excited to see how these pairs work out and don’t mind bringing Stone back as an extra.
I feel like Stone is almost 100% our 7th D again. Death, Taxes, and Michael Stone being re-signed are all constants.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I honestly liked Stones game last year, he seems like a Sutter style player. Pretty hilarious how long he has lasted on the team after getting bought out. I do think Kylington's offensive style is needed tho, we just lost Giordano and Zadorov is not going to replace his points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->