Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 3rd round pick (from TOR)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This will come down to the contract. If it’s something like 3 years at 3.5mil it’s not bad. Brings something the Flames have lacked for years on the blue line.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Listening to Zadorov on the Fan 960, sound like a very good player with a great head on his shoulders.

Training in South Florida, thinks he still has another gear, Darryl Sutter is a coach that you need to work your ass off for.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Love this acquisition. Price was fair.

Our backend is missing a bruiser, Gio was our toughest guy last season and we added some muscle and size. Zads is still youngish, I am happy he's a Flame.
Yeah I didn't realize until today that he's only 26. That's still developing for a player of his ilk.

And the line "we can punch guys together now." is my new favourite Lucic quote.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Without a look- this guy looks like a proper journeyman if my memory serves well. If teams are moving you on regularly- there is something imbalanced with you....another shite move by our fantastic GM... 3rd pick is way more valuable...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Love this acquisition. Price was fair.

Our backend is missing a bruiser, Gio was our toughest guy last season and we added some muscle and size. Zads is still youngish, I am happy he's a Flame.

I have serious questions about who is going to be scoring on the backend but Zads is exactly the kind of guy Sutter loves. A 3rd rounder for nhl talent is a very solid deal.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
You don't need to waste a 3rd for a truly mediocre dman. Not to mention it's like the last thing we needed.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
GMDS loading up on some beef, whats not to love? He wasn't going to put up with smurfs in the bottom half of his roster f9or much longer.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You don't need to waste a 3rd for a truly mediocre dman. Not to mention it's like the last thing we needed.
Most 3rd rounders don't even play in the nhl, I'm not the biggest fan of Zadorov fan and ideally he plays on the 3rd pairing but if a 3rd rounder turned into zadorov we'd all be over the moon. I'm happy with the deal especially considering it was 5 games of Rittich for zadorov

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
This is the perfect guy to go in the "random guys coming to calgary" thread.

Trade is meh. Found money turns into a defensive 3rd pairing guy. Just hope whatever contract he gets is well below his qualifying offer. Can't really complain about the overall defence of the d-core given we just got a defence first 3rd pairing guy, if we're hoping that spot was going to supply us with offence, or his acquisition is going to cost us getting a legit top 4 d-man we have bigger issues.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Most 3rd rounders don't even play in the nhl, I'm not the biggest fan of Zadorov fan and ideally he plays on the 3rd pairing but if a 3rd rounder turned into zadorov we'd all be over the moon. I'm happy with the deal especially considering it was 5 games of Rittich for zadorov
i'm not about to make a 2022 3rd round pick appreciation thread, but if he gets his QO, his value is lower than a 7th pick. I doubt he has some untapped potential, he is who he is at this point. A 3rd round pick value is never negative.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
i'm not about to make a 2022 3rd round pick appreciation thread, but if he gets his QO, his value is lower than a 7th pick. I doubt he has some untapped potential, he is who he is at this point. A 3rd round pick value is never negative.
We lost 3 minutes a night of pking from Gio, I'd pay a 3rd just to help the pk

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I like this move (depending on contract). Dudes mean, if we can’t be good, might as well be tough.
That was basically the motto of the '04 Flames too. Even if you lose, you get your pound of flesh. Zadorov is at the very least, decent, defensively. And mean as hell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lay some of the biggest hits we've seen since prime-Regehr or early Dion. If we could get him 3x3, I'd be fairly happy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That was basically the motto of the '04 Flames too. Even if you lose, you get your pound of flesh. Zadorov is at the very least, decent, defensively. And mean as hell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lay some of the biggest hits we've seen since prime-Regehr or early Dion. If we could get him 3x3, I'd be fairly happy.

Also worth noting, this might be one of the better defensive corps he's played with in his career.
People forget that the time he spent in Colorado was essentially rebuilding years and uncertain stardom years for Mac.

He only got one year of being on a really good Colorado team.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Given what UFA defensemen were getting, I can understand why Brad wanted to go the trade route.

As for Schmidt vs Zad, to my understanding, Vancouver wanted to move Schmidt out of division at that price. In division would have been higher.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Calgarypuck seems to think he's going to get 4×4-5 million a year.

There's no chance he commands that, right? He played 19 minutes a game last season on a worse team than us and nothing suggests he's more than a bottom pairing guy at this point.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Also worth noting, this might be one of the better defensive corps he's played with in his career.
People forget that the time he spent in Colorado was essentially rebuilding years and uncertain stardom years for Mac.

He only got one year of being on a really good Colorado team.

you must have short memory
How many times did we get pinned and can’t get out of our zone to save our lives
Our defense is good on paper only. Except for Tanev, they all have lots of growing to do

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
you must have short memory
How many times did we get pinned and can’t get out of our zone to save our lives
Our defense is good on paper only. Except for Tanev, they all have lots of growing to do

Hanifin - Tanev will be the first pairing.
They were absolutely dynamite for us last year and will likely be asked to do the heavy lifting again.

Zadarov will get the secondary assignments, which is what I was more pointing at.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Zadorov will be tasked with 3rd pairing duties + heavy PK usage.

My hope is that Juuso beats him out, but I have a feeling we're going to see:
Skill/Meat on all three lines:

Hanifin (good skating player) - Tanev (top tier defensive player).
Zadorov (meat) - Andersson (Kind of middle skill/thicc guy)
Valimaki (skill, good skating player) - Meat

:laugh:

do not be shocked if we see Gudbrandson in a Flames jersey fam.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Calgarypuck seems to think he's going to get 4×4-5 million a year.

There's no chance he commands that, right? He played 19 minutes a game last season on a worse team than us and nothing suggests he's more than a bottom pairing guy at this point.

No he won’t, there’s no justification for him to be paid more than 3.5 per.

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->