Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Gustafsson for a 3rd round pick

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Many of you guys made Gus the whipping boy but the fact is almost the entire Chicago Blackhawks are having issues. Gus is great but you put too much emphasize and responsibility on one single player here, he can't carry an entire defense.

Calgary getting an earlier and potential 60 point defenseman for a 3rd pick, good for them, let's move on. Gus has lots to prove right now and it will be fun and interesting following.

I don't know, I think you're projecting here. I live in Chicagoland and nobody is putting all the "responsibility" on Gus for the Hawks poor season. Nor did anyone expect him to carry the entire defense. Especially not me. If anything the Hawks fans' two whipping boys are Stan and Colliton. Gus isn't even on the radar.

Or maybe you meant to respond to another post and not mine? ‍♀️

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Sounds like Brodie except he can score. Brodie has cut down on his jaw-dropping brain farts. Hanifin is the new leader in that category although not so much since he's not playing with Hamonic any more.

I likes all three deals. Both new players are a year younger than Brodie and Hamonic, one is a shutdown kind of guy (Regher 2.0?) and the other brings some offense that has been lacking since Dougie was shipped off. They are not 6/7 D's by any stretch and if re-signed (which I hope the Flames do), they afford the team some trade flexibility (Hanifin/Kylington). Gustafsson could be Brodie 2.0 and cheaper.

So next year we could see (or some combination thereof)...

Gio/Andersson
Forbort/Gustafsson
Valimaki/Yelesin

Kylington

Why does it seem a majority are ready to walk away from Brodie who has been our second best defenceman (sometimes best) for most of the past decade? He’s still young and his style should hold up for a few+ more years.

I get the need to dump Hamonic as his absence has improved our back end, specifically getting Hanifin on to a different pair and getting Andersson more ice time.

Gustafsson is the new, exciting flavour of the week, but committing term and/or big dollars to a player of his ilk with lack of track record is begging for another classic Treliving UFA blunder. On the bright side, for the cost of a 3rd we got reinforcement for the stretch drive and get to try Gus on our system, but I’d much prefer a low-key addition and rely more on our younger guys.

Giordano/Brodie
Hanifin/Andersson
Valimaki/*Demelo

Kylington slots in when inevitable injuries occur or if Valimaki falters.

Edit: I like to believe TJ will take a discount on market value to keep consistency with his personal life. 5-5.5mil per for 3-4 years?

Or do others see him chasing a windfall 6-7mil deal?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why does it seem a majority are ready to walk away from Brodie who has been our second best defenceman (sometimes best) for most of the past decade? He’s still young and his style should hold up for a few+ more years.

I get the need to dump Hamonic as his absence has improved our back end, specifically getting Hanifin on to a different pair and getting Andersson more ice time.

Gustafsson is the new, exciting flavour of the week, but committing term and/or big dollars to a player of his ilk with lack of track record is begging for another classic Treliving UFA blunder. On the bright side, for the cost of a 3rd we got reinforcement for the stretch drive and get to try Gus on our system, but I’d much prefer a low-key addition and rely more on our younger guys.

Giordano/Brodie
Hanifin/Andersson
Valimaki/*Demelo

Edit: I like to believe TJ will take a discount on market value to keep consistency with his personal life. 5-5.5mil per for 3-4 years?

I'd pay up to 5m and whatever terms for Brodie.. paying him 7m like a top dman is a massive mistake. It's not like Brodie hasn't taken time off before. He is a good dman with limitations.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

There is no way TJ signs for less than 6.5 AAV. Comparables include Ryan Ellis (6.25 AAV), Ekblad (7.25 AAV), and Jared Spurgen (7.5 AAV)

TJ signed a team friendly contract last time. TJ is going to get paid.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Current rumor going around the web is that Brodie wants to go somewhere warmer to help with his wife's MS. No reliable sources but it could explain why there hasn't even been a whisper about contract negotiations.

I think if that's true, then we'll see Brodie sign for a relative discount with one of Tampa Bay, Florida, Arizona, or Anaheim.

Dubas seems to love him though; wouldn't be surprised if he finds a way to offer something like 7M x 7yrs.

Reactions: SKRusty

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
There is no way TJ signs for less than 6.5 AAV. Comparables include Ryan Ellis (6.25 AAV), Ekblad (7.25 AAV), and Jared Spurgen (7.5 AAV)

TJ signed a team friendly contract last time. TJ is going to get paid.

While there is the possibility that TJ gets a massive offer during UFA, Brad has done well when resigning current talent (albeit mainly RFA). Which teams out there have the need and cap space to spend 7+ on Brodie? Detroit? That could be an abysmal situation.

I agree that Ellis is a decent comparable, I don’t think Ekblad is similar enough, and Spurgeon will be generously paid on that new contract.

I’d point towards Petry’s contract, Muzzin’s new one, Leddy (bit outdated), etc. for a decent price range for #2 guy.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Current rumor going around the web is that Brodie wants to go somewhere warmer to help with his wife's MS. No reliable sources but it could explain why there hasn't even been a whisper about contract negotiations.

I think if that's true, then we'll see Brodie sign for a relative discount with one of Tampa Bay, Florida, Arizona, or Anaheim.

Dubas seems to love him though; wouldn't be surprised if he finds a way to offer something like 7M x 7yrs.

I was hoping that his wife’s current support network would be a reason to stay in a familiar location, but nicer weather could be a draw.

Anaheim could definitely use the help on the back end after wasting away what was a strength not so long ago. You have to assume Tampa’s cap won’t allow them to make a move for him. Florida is rumoured to be shedding salary and Arizona has a lot of money tied up.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

The rumour was started on HF. With Treliving full gung-ho on trading him though, it seems highly likely that he won't re-sign.

Losing Brodie and re-signing Barrie will be so dumb. I don't think Barrie signs here anyway so we'll surely dodge that bullet.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Giordano/Brodie
Hanifin/Andersson
Valimaki/*Demelo

I don't see TJ chasing a windfall deal. My read on him is that is a quiet family man type that has settled down in Calgary and would be quite content to stay here the rest of his career. He is a loyal type meaning he would take a hometown discount to stay. That might require a NMC though.

I agree that he has been the best or second best D-man this season. His play has been quite consistent and reliable. I don't have too many worries when he is on the ice. I haven't noted a drop off in performance when he plays LD either, so his versatility is a great asset. I would have no problems paying him Gio type money although I think he'd respect the Gio cap for defencemen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Many of you guys made Gus the whipping boy but the fact is almost the entire Chicago Blackhawks are having issues. Gus is great but you put too much emphasize and responsibility on one single player here, he can't carry an entire defense.

Calgary getting an earlier and potential 60 point defenseman for a 3rd pick, good for them, let's move on. Gus has lots to prove right now and it will be fun and interesting following.
No body made Gus the whipping boy. We were just disappointed he didn't replicate last years season, this year. Gus isn't great, but he isn't terrible, either. I can almost guarantee you he won't be a 60pt Dman, he may have a season here or there where he comes close, but more than likely will settle in the 40pt range for the majority of his career.

We were happy to get a 3rd for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad