Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Gustafsson for a 3rd round pick

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Well clueless as they may be, they've recognized that Stone/Davidson/Yelesin isn't going to cut it.

I mean, they brought back Stone this year after buying him out. He was a trainwreck last year so obviously let's buy him out. No wait, let's bring him back now.

I am one of the few people who don't want Tre canned as I think he does well in big trades and is a good RFA negotiator, but f*** me on a stick he has to stop with these garbage minor trades, Flames get worked every single time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean, they brought back Stone this year after buying him out. He was a trainwreck last year so obviously let's buy him out. No wait, let's bring him back now.
There wasn't a change of mind about him like you're implying. He was a player who they knew only made sense as a depth guy in our organization, but whose contract did not align with that. When he represented a wasted chunk of cap space, the Flames fixed that with the buyout. When Juuso got injured and we needed more depth on defence at minimal cost, he became a candidate to fill that need.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Certainly could be. I honestly assumed his defensive liability must be glaring to go for a third. I haven't seen him play a ton so I'm coming at this from a place of ignorance. 60 pt capable d-men may be worth the rental gamble. We'll see.

Yeah I have no issue of giving him a try. Just saying that if nobody is willing to give up more than a 3rd for him, nobody is going to line up to pay him the big bucks. He can change that in the next 20 games. Very small chance but there is a chance.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gustaffson is what I think people thought Kylington was before they actually saw him play. A Marc-Andre Bergeron-esque player that needs to be heavily sheltered at even strength but can help out a powerplay. Of course, Gustaffson didn't exactly do much for Chicago's powerplay this season; they're dead last in the league. And it's not exactly far-fetched to think his 60 point season was an anomaly. So it's way too soon to even consider him as a potential Brodie replacement much less even think about re-signing him.

BuddyTheGoon

Oct 23, 2019
Chicago
Their PP operates at about a 14% clip which is pretty eh. Who knows if that's on Gustafsson or not but we will have to see what he can do. I think Andersson - Gustafsson could be a good mix on PP2.
Blackhawks fan here. No, the PP woes were definitely NOT on Gus. Colliton insists on keeping Keith on the first unit (God knows why), and Gus only saw limited time on the 2nd. You guys got a good one. Yes, he WILL make some head-scratchingly idiotic plays, but usually makes up for them. Shocked we could only get a third round pick for him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really dig both additions we made today.

His draft hype, development and expectations were to be a top pairing dman, that he is not. But he has some really nice attributes, he’s a good age for our team and I think he helps to solidify our group. The fact that he could play with Doughty and eat minutes I think is really attractive. He kinda reminds me of Stone before he suffered all of his injuries.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He can make high end plays on offense, can definitely QB a PP, probably better suited for a PP2 on a decent team. He didn't play well at all in his own end this year, but he was OK last year for the most part. I'm interested to see how he does on another team, but it wasn't working for him in Chicago. Way too many minutes for a dman that should be sheltered.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Blackhawks fan here. No, the PP woes were definitely NOT on Gus. Colliton insists on keeping Keith on the first unit (God knows why), and Gus only saw limited time on the 2nd. You guys got a good one. Yes, he WILL make some head-scratchingly idiotic plays, but usually makes up for them. Shocked we could only get a third round pick for him.

Oh baby, a person who's actually watched Gus play this season commenting.
Magic on the Flames board today!

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Hawk nut in peace ...
Gus ... I liked the guy a LOT more than most on CHI's HF board. Yes he WILL make a boneheaded play every game or at least 2-3. The kind that leaves your jaw on the floor and/or your beer thrown at the tv screen.

On the other hand ... the guy CAN skate it out, make a helluva pass, QB the PP and get his shot thru, too.
His D is improved this season also but the baseline for that begin with not super high.

Gotta take the good w/ the maddening w/ Gus and here's hoping plenty more the former & not the latter for you CGYs.

Our playoff chances swirling down the drain so ... you don't mind a broken hearted Hawk guy jumping your bandwagon, count me in come real season.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Hawk nut in peace ...
Gus ... I liked the guy a LOT more than most on CHI's HF board. Yes he WILL make a boneheaded play every game or at least 2-3. The kind that leaves your jaw on the floor and/or your beer thrown at the tv screen.

On the other hand ... the guy CAN skate it out, make a helluva pass, QB the PP and get his shot thru, too.
His D is improved this season also but the baseline for that begin with not super high.

Gotta take the good w/ the maddening w/ Gus and here's hoping plenty more the former & not the latter for you CGYs.

Our playoff chances swirling down the drain so ... you don't mind a broken hearted Hawk guy jumping your bandwagon, count me in come real season.
Honestly, I've only seen Gustafsson a couple times, and seen a few dumb plays. But this year, like every third Hamonic play has been that bad, so it should still be an easy improvement there.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Wow, getting a 60 point defenseman for (almost) nothing, I'm very impressed.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hawk nut in peace ...

Sounds like Brodie except he can score. Brodie has cut down on his jaw-dropping brain farts. Hanifin is the new leader in that category although not so much since he's not playing with Hamonic any more.

I likes all three deals. Both new players are a year younger than Brodie and Hamonic, one is a shutdown kind of guy (Regher 2.0?) and the other brings some offense that has been lacking since Dougie was shipped off. They are not 6/7 D's by any stretch and if re-signed (which I hope the Flames do), they afford the team some trade flexibility (Hanifin/Kylington). Gustafsson could be Brodie 2.0 and cheaper.

So next year we could see (or some combination thereof)...

Gio/Andersson
Forbort/Gustafsson
Valimaki/Yelesin

Kylington

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What did you see?

I saw a 60 point defenseman.

You guys should judge him yourself. The hockey experts in Chicago made him a whipping boy.

Yes, he is an offensive defenseman, thus you need to pair him wisely, not a stay at home type of d-man but his defensive flaws are exaggerated.

Truth is the management in Chicago made an awful trade and they will s×ck for years unless magic happens, it's called rebuild. Lehner in Vegas too, cool (for him).

Cool thing with Gustafsson is he was on the same junior team in Stockholm as Landeskog and Patrik Nemeth (among others...). This junior team for boys born 1992 was dominating in Stockholm (not sure if they lost a single game). Landeskog's father Tony is on the picture too (older guy on left side).

Johnny Oduya played junior hockey for Hammarby too but another year.

Hammarby
017d3c2d-1635-4184-afa2-346d2000b0ac

Last edited:

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Their PP operates at about a 14% clip which is pretty eh. Who knows if that's on Gustafsson or not but we will have to see what he can do. I think Andersson - Gustafsson could be a good mix on PP2.

Coming from a Hawks fan, their PP has always been meh, even when they were winning Cups they were always floating around 2oth in the league.

The Gus Bus is good offensively but a garbage fire defensively. Although I will admit he's gotten better in that department in recent months. The 60 point season he produced last year I feel like is kind of a fluke. He's probably more of a 35 point a season player.

His best fit is as a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman, and paired up with a stay at home partner to clean up his giveaways.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Coming from a Hawks fan, their PP has always been meh, even when they were winning Cups they were always floating around 2oth in the league.

The Gus Bus is good offensively but a garbage fire defensively. Although I will admit he's gotten better in that department in recent months. The 60 point season he produced last year I feel like is kind of a fluke. He's probably more of a 35 point a season player.

His best fit is as a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman, and paired up with a stay at home partner to clean up his giveaways.

Many of you guys made Gus the whipping boy but the fact is almost the entire Chicago Blackhawks are having issues. Gus is great but you put too much emphasize and responsibility on one single player here, he can't carry an entire defense.

Calgary getting an earlier and potential 60 point defenseman for a 3rd pick, good for them, let's move on. Gus has lots to prove right now and it will be fun and interesting following.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->