Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Gustafsson for a 3rd round pick

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He should in theory help the powerplay, assuming Ward is capable of putting him on the top unit but they're an awful lot of left sided left handed shots on the team now. Something's has to give.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I hope he's a lot better for us than he's been for Chicago this year.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Could be a decent option to re-sign if we end up losing Brodie. Won't be as good, but also won't cost nearly as much

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Could be a decent option to re-sign if we end up losing Brodie. Won't be as good, but also won't cost nearly as much
He had 60 pts last yr. This is an off year and maybe that was a mirage, but he'll absolutely get paid. I honestly don't know what Brodie would command right now. He's had a great year so maybe it would be higher than Gus, but I expect 5.5+ for Gus.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He had 60 pts last yr. This is an off year and maybe that was a mirage, but he'll absolutely get paid. I honestly don't know what Brodie would command right now. He's had a great year so maybe it would be higher than Gus, but I expect 5.5+ for Gus.

Unless he turns it around, he'll be this year Jake Gardiner..or worse

Nobody pays for guy that can't play defense...not big money

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It's just the ultimate Brad move: trade a mid round pick for a Swedish defenseman who used to be in the Oilers organization.
Now he just needs to sign him to a ridiculous UFA contract, buy him out and then re-sign him.

Joking aside, there's not much to dislike about this one. Except if it means that Brodie is gone in the offseason...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Probably not a bad idea to see if the fit is there, because it's looking this guy might be the Brodie replacement long term. (which sounds like a bad idea)
Much like the Cardiac kids, we're playing with house money but with different circumstances. Make the playoffs or miss the playoffs, it doesn't really matter because big change is coming. Might as well ride the wave and enjoy stay awake for our last ~20 games and experiment with our new faces

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Solid pickup. Like Super said, we need offense from the blue line bad and he can help there. Hopefully, he can turn around his season a bit here playing with all our Swedes and QB our PP cause our PP is ass right now.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
3rd round for a guy that put up 60pts is a steal......
But he must be really bad defensively for team to stay away in the seller market.

Worth a try even if 99% chance it will end up nothing.....

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Unless he turns it around, he'll be this year Jake Gardiner..or worse

Nobody pays for guy that can't play defense...not big money
Certainly could be. I honestly assumed his defensive liability must be glaring to go for a third. I haven't seen him play a ton so I'm coming at this from a place of ignorance. 60 pt capable d-men may be worth the rental gamble. We'll see.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm alright with this one. Gives us even more of that sweet Swedish flavour.

Guy has 60 even strength points over the last 138 games. That's pretty damn good. Hopefully might rub off on Andersson and Kylington, but cover their eyes when he's in his own zone.

Also gives us a backup plan in case Brodie leaves for greener pastures :'( and after we drop off Hamonic at the bus station.

Reactions: Nanuuk

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Solid pickup. Like Super said, we need offense from the blue line bad and he can help there. Hopefully, he can turn around his season a bit here playing with all our Swedes and QB our PP cause our PP is ass right now.

Anyone know where is Chicago PP ranked this season?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Anyone know where is Chicago PP ranked this season?
Their PP operates at about a 14% clip which is pretty eh. Who knows if that's on Gustafsson or not but we will have to see what he can do. I think Andersson - Gustafsson could be a good mix on PP2.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I like that he brings offence, but this management team is clueless when it comes to defence. Our defensive structure blows ass, our team defence is abysmal, so what do we add? A d-man who is notoriously bad defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad