GDT: Flames (34-16-7) @ Penguins (30-20-7): Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'd hate for an MVP candidate season to fizzle out basically due to an extended time off. He was killing it prior.

I didnt watch the whole game but the part I was watching (the 3rd period) he looked terrible

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I didnt watch the whole game but the part I was watching (the 3rd period) he looked terrible

To me the biggest thing just looked like he had no energy. No gas. And it looked like this through the whole game. It's crazy how much of a difference that makes because to me, otherwise, he wasn't technically horrible. Almost everything lacking looked to me like it was due to having nothing in the tank. And then, yes, that makes his game as a whole look crappy. The rest of the line wasn't much better. Monahan was probably the best of the three.

Reactions: Migos and No Draft

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Something for us to remember, on these road trips, when playing every other day, there isn't much, if any practice time. And we've only been home for like 1 game this month.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Love that we got the win. Can someone summarise how the Flames looked? Better than recently, or were we just getting bounces?

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Love that we got the win. Can someone summarise how the Flames looked? Better than recently, or were we just getting bounces?
Andrew Mangiapane looked fabulous scoring the opening goal in his Calgary Flames his white and red jersey and Ryan was blistering hot with his scoring 3 assists in his white and red jersey while Johnny was looked a little dated in his white and red jersey and being held off the score sheet. Czarnik was totally in style in his white and red jersey scoring a goal along with his super pal Hamonic. Sam Bennett strut his stuff up close scoring the game winner in his white and red jersey and Frolik dominated the stage when played an excellent 2 way game and scoring a goal in his white and red jersey.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I thought this was a game the Flames could have easily won 7-2. Not saying we absolutely dominated but we were IMO the better team and the difference came down to officiating as each of the four goals against either came off a bad call or a bad non-call. It speaks volumes that Sam Bennett "took" two penalties both of which ended up in the back of the net and he went away with the Cowboy Hat post-game.

That said we came away with two points and we have some tape to look at to clean up the penalty kill for the future. This team has good PKers, just a matter of details.

All that said Sidney Crosby was still the best player on the ice and Malkin the second best. That duo is amazing.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Murray's awful netminding ended up being the difference, but it really shouldn't have been. Calgary dominated the first two periods.

Would have been nice to keep attacking in the 3rd and reduce the drama but they still got 2 points. Overall their effort and details were much better than the last few games. Hopefully the slump is over.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Murray's awful netminding ended up being the difference, .

? Which goal was awful?

Mangiapane goal - deflection; no chance
Czarnik goal - great perfectly placed snipe that also bounced a bit weirdly
Frolik goal - deflection caused the rebound
Hamonic goal - deflection or it doesn't go in
Bennett goal - cross ice pass from Ryan, Bennett with nice hands to pull it past Murray.

Murray might look at the tape of that game and not flop on the Bennett goal the way he did, but it was a gamble he took to take away the pass. That gamble IMO happened because he (rightfully) didn't trust he defenseman to stop the pass across the slot. Maybe he saves that if he stays in his net or maybe Bennett finds a different hole.

Pitt might have their D to blame but not their goalie.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I also need to eat crow on Hathaway. He’s been really good in his role this year.
He isn't even playing that differently from last year (except maybe a little more focused on the defensive side). It's just, last year he was third line, this year he is a fourth line and PK. It's amazing what that difference in expectations makes (though, him with Ryan is honestly better than our third line last year for good stretches)

Derek Ryan is up to 23 points that's pretty solid when we're used to our 4th liners putting up like 11 points a season.
What's the over/under on Ryan hitting 37 points (that was the combined total of Stajan, Lazar, and Hathaway last year, and Hathaway spent some time on the third line as well)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's the over/under on Ryan hitting 37 points (that was the combined total of Stajan, Lazar, and Hathaway last year, and Hathaway spent some time on the third line as well)
He's on pace for 32.68 points, so it's not out of the question if that 2nd PP unit gets working.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
No, he had total control over this GWG by taking the penalty that led to it. It was an authentic GWG.
tenor.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Need a fresh GDT somebody without a family get on it. People with a family do family day stuff. I’m on my phone so I’m not doing it even though I don’t have children (legitimate ones at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->