GDT: FLAMES (32-14-6) vs. CANADIENS (13-34-7) 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Man, that was an ugly game for the Flames. Credit to MTL, they played hard and seem to be playing well under their new coach MSL.

Pretty fine with taking a point out of this one.
200w.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Positive: may not see Ritchie for next game

Negative: he may be back for the Oilers game

Next 2 games will tell where we are at

Reactions: Tofveve

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lucic cannot be higher then 4th line call up Phillips or Pelletier if you don't want to play Dube. Ritchie might be the worst player in the nhl stop using him. Ruzicka is a very good 4th line center, Richardson is not. Monahan needs 2 good linemates to be useful so either give him 2 or just don't bother playing him. This one is on Sutter. Also get a backup Sutter will use

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lucic is back to his terrible way. He is no better than Ritchie.Team has been winning so that is overlooked. Monahan needs a play maker since he can’t create his own offense.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This was, without a doubt, the worst hockey we have seen the Flames play all year. They were far worse than against Vancouver.

And we still got a point.
There are actually a lot of similarities between this game and the previous bad game against the Habs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There are actually a lot of similarities between this game and the previous bad game against the Habs
Definitely. It was haunting me all game tbh. But we did actually play some hockey that game. We just had enough lapses to lose. This game was nails on a chalkboard.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Very weird you can look at the Flames and say "wow, Gaudreau has been struggling" and still see them come out with points in games. That is a... stark contrast to the Flames of old. I really don't see any downside right now to calling Phillips up and putting him on the wing with Toffoli and Monahan so Lucic can slot in where he should, and having a 4th line of, say, Ruzicka and Dube with Lucic. I just don't see the downside right now.

Also: this game reminds me of last season--specifically when a Vancouver beat reporter of some kind made the comment that Markstrom wanders from his net a lot when he is overworked. When you consider the penalty he took, the interference on Suzuki, and general sub-par play tonight it certainly creeps in that perhaps he's trending towards being overworked, and is approaching an aggressive Vancouver-esque concussion game. Don't want it to happen but if he's forced out there even more... idk. This type of thing was justifiable coming off of long layoffs. Now that the Flames are in their death stretch of games, I don't know if there's any way to justify it

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Shit game but this team has spoiled us this year. They still scored 4 goals and got a point in OT. I think we can afford them a little leeway. Habs deserved it, hard working game from them. Still a win you would like against a 30th placed team. Freaking MSL still a thorn in Sutter's toe.

@Bounces R Way is gonna have a long write up for the bad.

Spoiler alert : features a lot of Sean Monahan

Great : Mangiapane. This boy is a star in the making. Very strange as I've always liked him but never could really put my finger on what he's so great at. Turning into perhaps our most reliable player.

Good : Have to put the 4th line here even if I don't wanna. Had a 87.5% CF as a group tonight. I'll add Toffoli even though the 3rd line was trash. Drew a couple penalties and had some nice defensive plays. Tanev, Gudbranson were mostly solid.

Not bad : Would have liked one more save but can't put this one on Marky. Agree that we got to get Vladar in more often down the stretch here. Gaudreau scored a goal and was generally OK. Coleman as well. Zadorov some good some maybe not so good. Not sure if the PP is the spot for him.

Not good : Hanifin & Andersson, lots of poor decisions from this pairing, as well as on their respective powerplays. Tkachuk had his head up his ass, missing wide open looks and total tunnel vision. Uncharacteristically bad defensively as well. Backlund was heavily outplayed by Suzuki I thought.

Bad : Lindholm, sure tied it up but this was a stinker by him. Couldn't take a pass or make a pass. Lots of missed checks. Kylington was also quite poor, and not just his PP gaffe(although that was a terrible pass from Monahan).

Horrible : Monahan & Lucic. Awful. Basically did nothing right in the entire game either of them. Mony I've lost all hope for, was clinging to the possibility Toffoli could maybe get him on a bit of a roll but no dice. Seems he got taken off the top PP and is now a ship without an anchor.

At least the Oilers lost to the lowly Blackhawks and Vegas got smoked by the Bruins to soften the blow.

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'd go this way next game -

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Toffoli
Dube-Monohan-Coleman
Lucic-Rucizka-Lewis
No clue why we went away from that blueprint (Toffoli/Coleman swap aside) in the first place. Not like Ruzicka/Dube we're killing the team as much as any Lucic - Monahan pairing could

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You guys have a great team but give a bit of respect. The Hab players gave up earlier on in the season because of our horrible, miserable, terrible goaltending and now, for now, they are playing much better. We still have terrible goaltending but at least the boys try harder....for now.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad