Flames 2016 Draft Class

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
This Draft we have 4 players going to the World Juniors, and 2 of them wearing a letter who are considered top prospects league wide. Dillon Dube (C), Adam Fox (A), Linus Lindsrom and Eetu Tuulola. We also got Tyler Parsons who is one of the best goalie prospects in the game. Oh, we also got Mathew Tkachuk who isn't so bad at hockey in the big leagues :thumbu: Do you think this draft could go down as one of the best in Calgary Flames history??

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This Draft we have 4 players going to the World Juniors, and 2 of them wearing a letter who are considered top prospects league wide. Dillon Dube (C), Adam Fox (A), Linus Lindsrom and Eetu Tuulola. We also got Tyler Parsons who is one of the best goalie prospects in the game. Oh, we also got Mathew Tkachuk who isn't so bad at hockey in the big leagues :thumbu: Do you think this draft could go down as one of the best in Calgary Flames history??

Phillips is also producing at an insane rate.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk is on the verge of becoming a star. Fox could be a star defenceman, I don’t know if he will but he has that upside and I think it’s probable in my honest opinion. If Dube becomes a Gallagher caliber of player and Parsons becomes a stud #1 goalie, yes it could end up being the best draft in the Flames history, but only 1 of those things has actually occurred to this point.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
Tkachuk is on the verge of becoming a star. Fox could be a star defenceman, I don’t know if he will but he has that upside and I think it’s probable in my honest opinion. If Dube becomes a Gallagher caliber of player and Parsons becomes a stud #1 goalie, yes it could end up being the best draft in the Flames history, but only 1 of those things has actually occurred to this point.

Yes I know it's a lot of what it's at this point but when have we ever had this amount of quality players in one draft? Hell, Dube made it pretty far into main camp before being sent down and is now the captain for team Cananda. Fox is supposed the be #1 D for the States. Philips is a wild card, under sized but also underrated.

It just seems like we got a lot of quality pieces that draft that I feel like some will be NHLers.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lazar was the world junior captain

Also check the flames draft record in the 80s

Reactions: Cyrano

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yes I know it's a lot of what it's at this point but when have we ever had this amount of quality players in one draft? Hell, Dube made it pretty far into main camp before being sent down and is now the captain for team Cananda. Fox is supposed the be #1 D for the States. Philips is a wild card, under sized but also underrated.

It just seems like we got a lot of quality pieces that draft that I feel like some will be NHLers.
2011 was a big one, a year out. Gaudreau had just put up a PPG in college, Baertschi absolutely destroyed the WHL, Granlund was very promising as he produced well in the Finnish Liiga, people for some reason thought Wotherspoon was going to be a top 4 dman, and Brossoit looked quite good as well. And technically it was a good draft; with only five picks, the Flames drafted four NHLers including one of the best offensive players in the NHL, and two 2nd/3rd line forwards.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It looks to be a very good draft class. That was pretty apparent last year imo. Tkachuk has been great. Rounds 2-4 look to be successful

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
2011 was a big one, a year out. Gaudreau had just put up a PPG in college, Baertschi absolutely destroyed the WHL, Granlund was very promising as he produced well in the Finnish Liiga, people for some reason thought Wotherspoon was going to be a top 4 dman, and Brossoit looked quite good as well. And technically it was a good draft; with only five picks, the Flames drafted four NHLers including one of the best offensive players in the NHL, and two 2nd/3rd line forwards.

Brossoit is also pretty near to an NHLer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

In another world, Kucherov is out of that draft too. Imaging Gaudreau and Kucherov on the top line together... my god.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Brossoit is also pretty near to an NHLer
Yessir. I'm including him in the four NHLers (backup goalie still counts). TSpoon is the one who I think is likely to wash out.

In another world, Kucherov is out of that draft too. Imaging Gaudreau and Kucherov on the top line together... my god.
I try not to think too much about the fact that they effectively passed on him for Wotherspoon. lol

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Was going to start a thread on our prospects at the World Juniors.

Not only do the Flames have 6 prospects there, but there all big role players; Dube/Valimaki both captains and playing on the top line/pairing for their country, Ruzicka assistant captain and first line center, Fox assisant captain and top pairing d, Lindstrom playing on the top line for Sweden, Tuolola pretty much cut but still there.

I can't remember a time the Flames had so many quality prospects at the tourney. Will be watching a lot more World Junior games this year.

Unless the Flames go full Pejorative Slur (like this year with the 4th line), Dube should be a full time Flame next year. Vali and Fox are both on their way to becoming top 4 d-men (or in Fox's case maybe a #5 but QB'ing the PP). Ruzicka and Lindstrom are still long shots to make the team, but hopefully they can show some flashes in the tourney.

With Andersson knocking on the door plus Vali and Fox seemingly only 2 years away, the Flames can afford to move some d-men for offensive help. Even if it is trading Vali/Fox for a stud offensive prospect.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's the promise of this draft and the 2015 one that likely made Treliving comfortable in giving away all of his picks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Fox and Valimaki both have top pairing upside. I think Andersson will be a #4 or 3. The one I wonder about is Oliver.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
My only problem with our prospect pool is the lack of high end offensive talent. I know it's mostly through top 5 draft picks (which is how we got all our top end talent sans Gaudreau) but it'd be nice to have something more than a 3rd liner to look forward to. Like Brayden point in the 2nd or Kyrou with the pick the flames traded to the blues for Elliott.

That's why I say it couldn't hurt to traded one of our stud defense prospects for a stud offensive prospect.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
High end prospect for prospects trades are pretty rare. Far easier to trade a proven NHL'er; just have to wait until a prospect makes a bigger cap hit expendable.

Based on the invaluable insight that only a single period of hockey can provide, Dube should make the Flames next year. Valimaki's needs more time. If Dube can play the right side he could make Frolik expendable within a couple of years.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
My only problem with our prospect pool is the lack of high end offensive talent. I know it's mostly through top 5 draft picks (which is how we got all our top end talent sans Gaudreau) but it'd be nice to have something more than a 3rd liner to look forward to. Like Brayden point in the 2nd or Kyrou with the pick the flames traded to the blues for Elliott.

That's why I say it couldn't hurt to traded one of our stud defense prospects for a stud offensive prospect.

Yeah our forward pool is a little thin but if that means we are rolling out solid defence men then we can always trade them for forwards. If we can be like Nashville or Anaheim and develop from the backend out then I'm all for it. D are much more valuable than forwards in today's league

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I honestly think we should move Frolik this off-season. That’s what good teams do, he can be replaced internally.
Internally by who? There are absolutely zero blue chip forward prospects in the Flames' system. Good teams dump their bad players to make spots for kids, not the good players.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Internally by who? There are absolutely zero blue chip forward prospects in the Flames' system. Good teams dump their bad players to make spots for kids, not the good players.

Mangiapagne, Dube, Hathaway and Klimchuk, just to name 4. Backlund’s line should be the 3rd line by next season, I feel confident with most of those guys to fill that role. Personally I’d use Klimchuk, but that’s just me.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Mangiapagne, Dube, Hathaway and Klimchuk, just to name 4. Backlund’s line should be the 3rd line by next season, I feel confident with most of those guys to fill that role. Personally I’d use Klimchuk, but that’s just me.
Hathaway has been good this season as a bottom 6 player, but Klimchuk, Dube, and Mangiapagne are all significant question marks. Klimchuk's upside is likely Frolik if everything goes perfectly, and while Dube is a smart, hard working player, he doesn't seem to exhibit particularly high end offensive skill. Mangiapane is the only one who looks like he has a significant shot at being a top six player, and it's extremely unlikely any of those guys are going to supplant one of the 3M members by next season.

My biggest hope is for Phillips to succeed honestly.
That would be lovely, but I think he's a longer shot than people recognize. The NHL is kinder to smaller players now, but there are still a pretty small number of them, overall. Phillips doesn't have the same level of elusiveness or the same hockey IQ as someone like Gaudreau; while he does have a shot, I don't think it's any better than a coin flip, if we're being generous.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
SoV, I know many won’t like this but there’s also Brouwer. Brouwer is more than capable of filling Frolik’s role and we might as well try it since were paying him the money we are. He has performed well and to my expectations this year.

I also think Mangiapagne is almost NHL ready, by next season he should be. Good teams grow their players internally and give them chances internally to succeed. I really like Frolik a lot and that’s why I think we should trade him. Look at how much better Janks has gotten since being on the big team, everyone has seen the progression from him game to game. I don’t see any reason why Mangiapagne or Klimchuk, can’t fulfill the role of 3rd line minutes next season.

It would be nice to get some assets whether they be an NHL ready forward prospect or a 1st round draft pick in next years draft. I’d also like to see us get a little more cap space and Brouwer isn’t going anywhere so I’d look to move Frolik. The prospects we have currently are just as good as the ones Chicago promotes every year (heck we have 6 playing in the WJ’s right now), so let’s give some of them a shot and if they aren’t ready plug Brouwer in that role.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brouwer is horribly exposed anytime he plays above the fourth line. He's not replacing anyone in the top nine if the Flames are actually trying to get better.

Besides, the biggest weakness is the right wing and that's with Frolik already there. Trading him would only mean the Flames now need to add two right wingers for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad