GDT: Flame Broiled Whoppers @ Burger Kings: 8:30PM

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Somebody tweet, send a text or something to Brad Trevling, telling him that he can "give the last rites".

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Fire Gulutzan now. No reason for him to finish up on an 11 game losing streak.
Even if the press release says Calgary Flames and Glen Gulutzan agree to part ways, that's still fine by me.

Please gang, at the beginning of next season don't let me believe the hype that this squad is a contender, my expectations were way too high and now I'm pissed off and depressed.
Now that it's said and done, and we've been eliminated I'm getting pretty pissed off.
Look at the Sharks currently sitting at an 8 game winning streak when it matters. Look at the Blues currently sitting at an 5 game winning streak when it matters.
Look at us, just look at us. Floundering like a fish out of water with no hope in winning another game or scoring 1 more damn goal.
How pathetic.
Tough being a die-hard Flames fan.
Looking forward to seeing what happens next. Management change, player change, whatever. Can't go on like this.
I have my favorites on this team, and I don't want to see them go, but I've also been a fan for so long i've watched guys like Gilmour, Mullen, Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Vernon, Fleury, Iginla, Savard, St. Louis, all go away. I guess I can handle more moves but when my team doesn't make the playoffs it doesn't make for a happy Boomstick.

I guess our Flame of Thrones has been defeated and destroyed.
What's next is anyone's guess.
Sigh.
Off to bed, goodnight fellow fans.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Even if the press release says Calgary Flames and Glen Gulutzan agree to part ways, that's still fine by me.

Please gang, at the beginning of next season don't let me believe the hype that this squad is a contender, my expectations were way too high and now I'm pissed off and depressed.
Now that it's said and done, and we've been eliminated I'm getting pretty pissed off.
Look at the Sharks currently sitting at an 8 game winning streak when it matters. Look at the Blues currently sitting at an 5 game winning streak when it matters.
Look at us, just look at us. Floundering like a fish out of water with no hope in winning another game or scoring 1 more damn goal.
How pathetic.
Looking forward to seeing what happens next. Management change, player change, whatever. Can't go on like this.
I have my favorites on this team, and I don't want to see them go, but I've also been a fan for so long i've watched guys like Gilmour, Mullen, Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Vernon, Fleury, Iginla, Savard, St. Louis, all go away. I guess I can handle more moves but when my team doesn't make the playoffs it doesn't make for a happy Boomstick.

Sigh.

Exactly how I feel, sums up everything.

Reactions: Boomstick

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
pou_7153.png

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't think any Kings player even broke a sweat this game. Coasted over us like flattened roadkill.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk. Gio, Hamilton, and Smith(mostly) did their jobs this season. The rest of the roster ranged from mildly disappointing to flat out terrible. Hint: if your offence is based on volume shooting, you might want to have some volume goal scorers.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

How pathetic.

Sigh.

In the same boat man.

Reactions: Boomstick

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It would be nice if Gulutzan had enough pride to resign, but he also might be smart enough to realize that this is going to be his last NHL coaching gig, so he should try and get every game's worth of money possible out of it.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
When we first made the playoffs we were speedy up and down the lineup. Treliving saw the need to bring it veteran players instead of relying on guys like Jooris but when you continue to use Stajan, Versteeg, Brouwer, Stone etc in the lineup, we're going to get f***ed in this league.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's really not a matter of effort; the system just doesn't work. This is basically the Brent Sutter era all over again, minus the desperation trade to save the season at the expense of a core player. The greatest strength of the roster is the mobility the defense and it's all completely wasted under Gulutzan.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It's really not a matter of effort; the system just doesn't work. This is basically the Brent Sutter era all over again, minus the desperation trade to save the season at the expense of a core player. The greatest strength of the roster is the mobility the defense and it's all completely wasted under Gulutzan.
I'm sure they're undperforming but how much of that is actually coaching and how much is having one of the worst forward corps in the league?

I don't think a simple coaching change suddenly makes the Flames good.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
quoted for the truth, this is our coaches biggest problem. Our defense should be way more active offensively, it is a very talented unit as a whole.

Reactions: Calculon

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm sure they're undperforming but how much of that is actually coaching and how much is having one of the worst forward corps in the league?

If you're referring to the current situation, then yeah obviously it's terrible but what team wouldn't look inept if you removed their top three offensive forwards and the best puck mover on the back end?

But when healthy, this forward group is at worst average and that fact you'd even call it 'one of the worst' really only highlights that the problem is coaching.

I'm not sure if people realize to extent to which offensive totals are impacted by coaching systems. For example, prime Iginla going from 67 under Dutter's stifling approach to 94/98/89 under Playfair and Keenan's more free wheeling and open style and then back down to the 60's under Butter's horrible "system". The impact a coach has is a lot more significant than people are willing to admit.

The key is finding a balance between systems which is something the Flames have lacked for basically forever. I think Gulutzan was supposed to be that middle ground but he's failed miserably largely because of his inability to utilize the strengths of this roster. A decent coach shouldn't need an all-star lineup to get his team into the playoffs.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Disagreed. We have an elite LW in Johnny, a top 10 scoring centre, a selke level 2C, a stud sophomore 2LW, a solid 2RW and a serviceable 1RW. I would certainly say that doesn’t qualify for “one of the worst forward corps in the league”.

I think our biggest problem is that GG completely restricts the play making ability and cuts the legs off our D, which is near the top for scoring D men. How he implements our structure has a direct affect on our forward productivity.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Disagreed. We have an elite LW in Johnny, a top 10 scoring centre, a selke level 2C, a stud sophomore 2LW, a solid 2RW and a serviceable 1RW. I would certainly say that doesn’t qualify for “one of the worst forward corps in the league”.

I think our biggest problem is that GG completely restricts the play making ability and cuts the legs off our D, which is near the top for scoring D men. How he implements our structure has a direct affect on our forward productivity.
Disagree.

Backlund and Frolik are 3rd liners on a cup team. Tkachuk makes that line a 2nd line. Ferland is very hot and cold, but I still think he's an ideal 3rd liner as well. Anyone can have success with Monahan and Johnny.

That leaves us with a great 1LW, a good 1C, a phenomenal 2nd line winger (1st line upside), and three third liners rounding out our top 6. Bennett is also in that third liner category and Janko could be there next year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

That is about the most optimistic view of every player though.

Saying Frolik and Ferland are a solid 2nd line RW and a serviceable 1RW is a big stretch. Frolik has shown all season he should be moved down to a 3rd line role. Ferland is only "serviceable" if paired with two really good linemates to carry the load for him, and even then is pretty flawed for a top 6 winger.

Selke level 2C is also a stretch since he has once been close to the top of the Selke voting, never top 3 and isn't playing close to that level this season.

I mean we have had two seasons in a row with that as our top 6 and it has resulted in a 4 game sweep in the play-offs and missing the play-offs. There are obviously other issues but I doubt that if you had the guys that fit those descriptions or a good top 6 group of forwards that the team is that poor. Throw in the fact that our defense is actually very good and it seems to be a much bigger stretch to try and spin it as our top 6 not having major issues.

We have at least two holes in the top 6 that need replacing. Depending on who the 1st guy is I think we may get away with having Bennett fill one of those spots but the guys we need are not 40 point kind of ok guys, we need real improvement especially when it comes to goal scoring.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Here's what I think.

What forward positions in our lineup are above average relative to the rest of the league?

Gaudreau is one of the best for 1LW, Monahan is an average to below average 1C, Ferland is a bottom 5 or so 1RW.

Backlund is fairly average as a 2C IMO but many see him as a third liner so average to below average. Tkachuk is one of the best 2LW in the game and Frolik is a 3rd liner.

The entire bottom 6 is below average save for maybe Bennett. We have horrible depth and our top end isn't that high end.

I think if we looked at every forward group we'd be bottom 10 and the second one of our big 3 scorers go down were screwed.

GG definitely is not the ideal coach but I don't think Treliving gave him a lot to work with offensively.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Backlund is fairly average as a 2C IMO but many see him as a third liner so average to below average. Tkachuk is one of the best 2LW in the game and Frolik is a 3rd liner.

I think that Backlund is fine as a 2C but because of the role that he plays his line shouldn't also be the second scoring option. As we saw with Tkachuk this year it limits offensive players production or with Frolik it is too much to ask defensive players to do offensively.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Ferland is not a first liner. Heck he is borderline 2nd Line RW. He had his hot stretch for 10 games and that's it. He is the perfect 3RW.

Don't have anything to say against the 3M line. Some more scoring would have helped. When they were hot, they were really good.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Pastranak would be a dream....

Thats the type of player the Flames need as top line RW. Of course the cost is high so will end up getting someone that is sub par...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Pasta
Chucky-Backlund-Frolik

yes please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->