Flame away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ogopogo said:
I will always fondly remember the "Lindros guarantee".

I can't remember who the Flyers were up against in the playoffs but it was about 1996, a couple of years after Messier's impressive guarantee of a victory against the Devils. Messier delivered in spades that night.

So, a couple of years later, Lindros is going to be a man and do the same thing.

Of course, the Flyers got hammered 7-3 and eliminated from the playoffs that night.

Lindros is such a punk.

Yeah I remember that. It was back in '96. They were plaing Florida and they just lost in OT at home in game 5 to go down 3-2 in the series. I remember Lindros saying they were going to win in an interview while he was getting dressed. They lost Game 6 4-1.

The thing with Lindros is that when a team focused on him heavily and checked him closely, he never could deliver and rise above it. It happened in '95 with NJ, and Team USA did that to him at the '96 World Cup. Florida had the dreaded trap then, and Lindros just couldnt adjust.

ProctorSilex

Just my personal opinion, he was the total package. Regardless of the outcome.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
All in all Lindros is not the greatest ever - not even close - but you gotta admit that for a little while Lindros was not only the most dominating player out there but also was so intimidating and instilled such a fear in opposing D-men as IMO Messier, Trottier, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr etc. probably never did. And I'm not sure Lindros ever even hit his prime! I read somewhere that D-men could tell without looking that Lindros was coming their way by the distinctive sound that his skates made on the ice with that massive body and powerful stride. I imagine that must have been a scary sound when your going for the puck in the corner!

That said, he did not live up to his full potential nor did he show any greatness whatsoever beyond his incredible raw ability to dominate among NHL players and therefore IMO he is nowhere near the all-time greats of hockey. But for sure, he had all the tools for that...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
octopi said:
As to who could combine all the skill, what about Peter Forsberg. I'd argue he was more complete than Lindros, since he seems to be more of a team player, and has won more to boot.

Forsberg's probably a better playmaker than Lindros, but hes not nearly as physical as Lindros was. Forsberg is incredibly strong on the puck and tough in the corners, but Lindros was an absolute wrecking ball down low, and would just throw guys around like rag dolls

I'm not really a fan of either player, but Lindros in his prime was scarier to see your team play against than Forsberg IMO

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Chili said:
How many times has Eric Lindros raised the level of his game and inspired his teammates to a championship run?

I can't think of any unless it was world juniors?

I would never mention him among the greats of the game. The personal and team accomplishments aren't there.

ONCE. and that was in the 97 Cup run. He was unreal in the Rangers series. too bad he was invisible against the Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->