Flame away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProctorSilex

but after totally skilled players with no defense... such as Lemieux, Gretzky or Howe...

Eric Lindros is the greatest player of all time.

Nobody in history actually combined all the skill he did. Sniping, defensive skills, fighting, hitting, passing, skating and deflecting in front of the net...

Nobody had the ability to do what he did on every aspect of the game. I think like Bobby Orr's knee injury, it's a shame Lindros never really got more than 6 years out of his real prime years.

But there will never be a better all around player that could dominate at every aspect of hockey.

Yes Gretzky was the best scorer, passer... Yes, Lemieux had the hockey sense and made Jagr a star, while winning 2 cups... Yes, Howe could score and fight...

But I still believe nobody has ever held all the skills in such high ability, from every aspect of the game than Lindros did.

As a player, he might not have scored as much as Wayne or Mario, he might not have fought like Probert or Domi, threw the hits like Hunter or Laos, never skated like Coffey or Bondra... never had the highlight reel goals like Lemieux or Jagr...

but all around, I don't think any player held everything he did.

ProctorSilex

and don't get me wrong, I'm not talking team "Stanley Cups" or goals/points scored.

Just an all around combination of every hockey skill into one. So before people post up the obvious stats of Gretzky's 92 goals in one year, or 215 points in a year.... we all know that...

But Gretzky couldn't hit, fight, play defense, etc.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So technically what you are saying is that Lindros was the best all-around player in the game? Of all time?Hmmm. I started a thread on this a while back and I dont remember Lindros' name being on it by anyone. He was not as complete as Orr was or even Howe or Trottier or Messier for that matter. He did lack defense here and then. He wouldnt have ever won the Selke. I'll agree with you that he's right up there, but after those guys above I mentioned at least.

berney fkaj

Sep 21, 2003
Around
ProctorSilex said:
but after totally skilled players with no defense... such as Lemieux, Gretzky or Howe...

Nobody in history actually combined all the skill he did. Sniping, defensive skills, fighting, hitting, passing, skating and deflecting in front of the net...

Nobody had the ability to do what he did on every aspect of the game. I think like Bobby Orr's knee injury, it's a shame Lindros never really got more than 6 years out of his real prime years.

But there will never be a better all around player that could dominate at every aspect of hockey.

Yes Gretzky was the best scorer, passer... Yes, Lemieux had the hockey sense and made Jagr a star, while winning 2 cups... Yes, Howe could score and fight...

But I still believe nobody has ever held all the skills in such high ability, from every aspect of the game than Lindros did.

As a player, he might not have scored as much as Wayne or Mario, he might not have fought like Probert or Domi, threw the hits like Hunter or Laos, never skated like Coffey or Bondra... never had the highlight reel goals like Lemieux or Jagr...

I like Lindros alot, but I think you confused him with Messier :p:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
ProctorSilex said:

It's a free world I guess...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
ProctorSilex said:

Yeah...all except for the ability to skate and stick handle without looking down at his boot laces...

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Yeah Lindros had all the tools, as good looking a package as any player ever. But sorry, that's just not enough. He doesn't and never did have the intangibles to be a true generational player, except in Utopian fantasies. He didn't get a single point whilst his team got swept in the finals in '97. Weaksauce. A 36 year old Gretzky on an OK Rangers team scored at a 55 goal pace that same playoff.

KariyaIsGod*

ProctorSilex said:
and don't get me wrong, I'm not talking team "Stanley Cups" or goals/points scored.

Just an all around combination of every hockey skill into one. So before people post up the obvious stats of Gretzky's 92 goals in one year, or 215 points in a year.... we all know that...

But Gretzky couldn't hit, fight, play defense, etc.

He was a far better penalty killer in his prime than Lindros has ever been or ever will be. But OK...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
How many times has Eric Lindros raised the level of his game and inspired his teammates to a championship run?

I can't think of any unless it was world juniors?

I would never mention him among the greats of the game. The personal and team accomplishments aren't there.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Chili said:
How many times has Eric Lindros raised the level of his game and inspired his teammates to a championship run?

I would never mention him among the greats of the game. The personal and team accomplishments aren't there.

OK, maybe we have to include his off-ice accomplishments.

Then he's the best. :D

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
The hole in your arguement is that the sum ofd the parts doesn't equal the whole. Sure, he could dominate in every aspect of the game. A scout could give him top marks in every requirement but you have to play and accomplish something to be the best. I believe his time is a bit underrated because of the dislike a lot of fans have for him and his clan, but he can't be considered one of the greatest just because he had the full skill set.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chili said:

Would that be the '91/92 World Juniors, where Lindros was supposed to carry the team on his back, only to have them finish sixth?

He also crapped the bed in both Olympics in which he played, to the point where his ice time was cut back to virtually nothing by the time of the gold medal game against Team U.S.A.

I think the person who started this thread is in love with the concept and original promise of Eric Lindros, rather than the model that actually hit the streets. That one looked nice, test drove amazingly well, but had chronic long term performance issues that ultimately made it a lemon.

Heavy Fuel

That theory about Lindros is the same kind of thinking that keeps scouts drooling over the prospects with all the "measureables", and ignoring the kids who don't fit the mold but can just play the game.

Lindros was an awesome physical specimen and one of the great players of his generation but who would you want in their prime on your team, Lindros or Gretzky?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Larionov said:
Would that be the '91/92 World Juniors, where Lindros was supposed to carry the team on his back, only to have them finish sixth?

He also crapped the bed in both Olympics in which he played, to the point where his ice time was cut back to virtually nothing by the time of the gold medal game against Team U.S.A.

I think the person who started this thread is in love with the concept and original promise of Eric Lindros, rather than the model that actually hit the streets. That one looked nice, test drove amazingly well, but had chronic long term performance issues that ultimately made it a lemon.

Actually, he crapped the bed in three Olympics. He did nothing in the 1992 Gold Medal Game against the CIS, he was a poor choice as captain in 1998 and he was a lesser player in 2002. I don't think we'll see him in a fourth Olys.

He actually was terrific at the 1990 Memorial Cup, leading the Oshawa Generals to the title, and was key for Canada in their 1990 and 1991 WJC gold medals.

I think Lindros is one of the most physically gifted players of all time. He started off incredibly well, had four MVP-calibre seasons (95, 96, 97 and 99) and would have likely been a lock for the HHOF had he retired after the horrible internal injuries he suffered in 1999. But he hasn't done a damn thing since. He looks gunshy, doesn't play with the same physical aplomb that he once showed, and hasn't had a contract in more than 13 months. He has gone from a guy who was considered a lock to finish among the top 50 players ever after the 1999 season, to a guy who wouldn't be on most top 150s. He will be remembered for having the tale of two careers: one in which he was one of the best players in the league as he started to realize his potential - a potential that I'm not sure he achieved - the other career being a gunshy shadow of his former self. His character and leadership flaws will be held against him, too.

If you want to talk about the greatest centres of all time, it's Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Esposito, Mikita, Morenz, Messier, Clarke, Trottier, etc. Lindros is not one of them.

Ogopogo*

ProctorSilex said:

Lindros' bad attitude bit him in the ass. You reap what you sow and Eric's disappointing career and concussion problems come as a result of him being a complete *****.

Maybe he could have been one of the all time greats but, his selfishness made it impossible.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Ogopogo said:
Lindros' bad attitude bit him in the ass. You reap what you sow and Eric's disappointing career and concussion problems come as a result of him being a complete *****.

Maybe he could have been one of the all time greats but, his selfishness made it impossible.
I don't share exactly the same sentiments, but I agree that Lindros has always had a bad attitude. His selfishness and bad attitude translated into a lack of leadership, which I think marred his career. He never has "led" a team. I think he had some good personal accomplishments and was a dominating player, but he never was half the leader somebody like Lemieux or Gretz was. They say playing for Canada brings out your true colors; while Gretz, Lemieux, and other greats shared great success playing for their country.. Lindros didn't.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Larionov said:

He was in in three wjc's though and I believe he won at least one gold medal. Long time ago though and he did not really standout as leading teams on many playoff runs to my memory since then.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
revolverjgw said:
Yeah Lindros had all the tools, as good looking a package as any player ever. But sorry, that's just not enough. He doesn't and never did have the intangibles to be a true generational player, except in Utopian fantasies. He didn't get a single point whilst his team got swept in the finals in '97. Weaksauce. A 36 year old Gretzky on an OK Rangers team scored at a 55 goal pace that same playoff.

Actually, Lindros had a goal with about 15 seconds left in game 4.
It narrowed the score from 2-0 to 2-1.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
ProctorSilex said:

I've heard Howe was more than just a skill player.

As to who could combine all the skill, what about Peter Forsberg. I'd argue he was more complete than Lindros, since he seems to be more of a team player, and has won more to boot.

Lindros has been unfortunate, but his attitude(percieved by most as self centered) hasn't helped matters any.

I can name lots of players I'd rather have on my team than Eric Lindros. Skill is great, but attitude is a big factor in winning.
I will say I believe his attitude has improved in the last few years.
Unfortunatly for him, his game has already been diminished by injury.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lindros actually did lead Canada once to the WJC in '91. He had 17 points! But in the NHL he never raised the bar to help his team win. Philly had its only stop in the finals with him in '97 and most people believe he was going to lead them there.

But other than that its been slim pickings. In the '96 World Cup with Lemieux out and Gretzky not the best player in the game anymore it was Lindros who looked to lead the team and pick up the torch. Then in '98 he wasnt the most ideal choice for captain of the Olympic team. But maybe it isnt all his fault. He was only 23, and 25 for those two tournaments. And by '02 he was a shadow of his former self and only got one goal in Salt Lake City, vs. Belarus........ on the power play no less.

He never did have the leadership of a Messier, Gretzky or Lemieux. He never rose to the challenge, but maybe it just was too much pressure for him or he just wasnt the type to win. Hey, Marcel Dionne scored over a million points but he never won anyhting, some guys just arent champions.

Ogopogo*

I will always fondly remember the "Lindros guarantee".

I can't remember who the Flyers were up against in the playoffs but it was about 1996, a couple of years after Messier's impressive guarantee of a victory against the Devils. Messier delivered in spades that night.

So, a couple of years later, Lindros is going to be a man and do the same thing.

Of course, the Flyers got hammered 7-3 and eliminated from the playoffs that night.

Lindros is such a punk.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Big Phil said:
Hey, Marcel Dionne scored over a million points but he never won anyhting, some guys just arent champions.

If they had a team of Dionnes they would have been champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad