Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
damn thats dangerous

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I’m impressed with the way larsson has seemingly added grit to his game this season( and unlike Fowler ) looks comfortable doing so. Poor cam, the times you know he wants to play more physical he ends up injured within 2 games.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Devils fan coming in peace.

What is the Ducks record since firing RC?

I’ve got them at 12-11-1, 13-11-1 if they win tonight. So they’ve played better, but they’d still be on the outside looking in of the playoff picture over a full 82 game season, IMO.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
OT and it’s posted in the relevant thread, but the Gulls with a monster regulation win up in San Jose, 4-3. They beat Ontario at home on Friday and I would imagine they’re in great shape if they can split with Tucson

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It might not even come to him admitting it. After that SI article, I doubt he has any shot at fighting it when they LTIR him.

I would think the Ducks could force his hand. It would be nice if it didn't come to that and we all lived happily ever after. I'd hate to see Bob's loyalty give Kesler another season to try again. Burke was just asked his thought on Kesler since he supposedly had some kind of previous connection.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think Steel is already better than Henrique and next year will be at a decent 2c level. It's pretty tough to be a legit 1c in the nhl but I can see Steel being a low end 1c at his peak.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t think Steel has the size to offset his lack of a top end shot, the speed to offset his lack of size, or the shot to offset his lack of top end speed. He has the vision to be a good 2C in a more sheltered role, but there aren’t any 1C’s who don’t have elite level skills at at least one of speed, size or a shot. Just being a good passer with great vision won’t cut it IMO.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think Steel is already better than Henrique and next year will be at a decent 2c level. It's pretty tough to be a legit 1c in the nhl but I can see Steel being a low end 1c at his peak.
He's not better than henrique right now please stop

Reactions: Masch78

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think Steel has the size to offset his lack of a top end shot, the speed to offset his lack of size, or the shot to offset his lack of top end speed. He has the vision to be a good 2C in a more sheltered role, but there aren’t any 1C’s who don’t have elite level skills at at least one of speed, size or a shot. Just being a good passer with great vision won’t cut it IMO.

While I agree his shot isn’t top end right now it’s improved significantly since his junior days.

I think my assessment of him is similar to yours except I rate his vision and hockey sense highly enough to think he can be a low end 1C. I also disagree that there aren’t 1Cs without top end size, speed or a shot - Bergeron and Backstrom are two that come to mind instantly. Krejci who Steel has been compared too is a low end 1C. I’m sure there are more examples.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He's not better than henrique right now please stop
I dont think Henrique is anything special. He is a good 3c or weak 2c to me. Steel has 7 points in the 8 games he has been up this season. Small sample size but I can easily see him getting more points per game than Henrique next year.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
While I agree his shot isn’t top end right now it’s improved significantly since his junior days.

I think my assessment of him is similar to yours except I rate his vision and hockey sense highly enough to think he can be a low end 1C. I also disagree that there aren’t 1Cs without top end size, speed or a shot - Bergeron and Backstrom are two that come to mind instantly. Krejci who Steel has been compared too is a low end 1C. I’m sure there are more examples.
I think Krejci has significantly better speed, and don’t recall him being considered a true 1C for more than a hot minute. Bergeron plays perennial Selke level defense (as well as being bigger and faster than Steel) and has been a 30 goal guy. Those two playing together all these years matters too I think. Backstrom is also a lot larger than Steel, and is playing with that generational guy.

Don’t get me wrong, I like him (I have his Gulls Veterans Day Jersey) but the guys you rattled off are all bigger, faster, AND better shooting than he is. Steel is just pretty average at all those things. His vision I think is very high end (I feel like He's 3rd on the team behind Getzlaf and Terry). I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Krejci has significantly better speed, and don’t recall him being considered a true 1C for more than a hot minute. Bergeron plays perennial Selke level defense (as well as being bigger and faster than Steel) and has been a 30 goal guy. Those two playing together all these years matters too I think. Backstrom is also a lot larger than Steel, and is playing with that generational guy.

Don’t get me wrong, I like him (I have his Gulls Veterans Day Jersey) but the guys you rattled off are all bigger, faster, AND better shooting than he is. Steel is just pretty average at all those things. His vision I think is very high end (I feel like He's 3rd on the team behind Getzlaf and Terry). I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

Fair enough, you’re right Bergeron and Backstrom are both bigger. I don’t think Krejci is faster though. I think if all goes well Steel could have a similar impact to Krejci.

I would actually have Steel ahead of Terry in terms of vision. Terry is shifter and also has good vision but I think Steel sees the game much better.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Fair enough, you’re right Bergeron and Backstrom are both bigger. I don’t think Krejci is faster though. I think if all goes well Steel could have a similar impact to Krejci.

I would actually have Steel ahead of Terry in terms of vision. Terry is shifter and also has good vision but I think Steel sees the game much better.
You’re probably right about Krejci, and I’d be thrilled if Steel had a similar career. He’s not done maturing either, so let’s see where he tops out.

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad