FLA-WSH, longest shootout in nhl history( YT in OP )

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow we finally got around to a shootout where players need to shoot twice.

That had to last like a half hour in real time

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
That was something else. They just made NHL history. Congrats to all involved as a new record has been made.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
yeah it was tough on the nerves. it got kinda boring after awhile to, i just wanted florida to end it already. this took waaaay to long imo

I thought it was amazing the Panthers answered right back every time Washington scored - even more so considering the guys that scored for the Panthers aren't known for scoring goals.

How many of those guys have even had a breakaway in their career let alone a shootout attempt? :laugh:

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
It's a shame this will no longer be the game winning goal on the longest shootout in history

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ovechkin scored!
Laich scored!
Ward scored!
Green scored!
Orpik scored!

Wait!... we lost? :(

Jokinen, Bergenheim & co. did us in 6-5 in the shootout.

Dang that was exciting!

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Just watched the whole thing. That was awesome to watch. Every time Florida ties it up I just laughed because what a completely ridiculous game. :laugh:

Congrats to both teams. We probably won't see something like that again!

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
If you saw this pic before the actual move, you might think Jokinen must've taken an unorthodox approach to the shootout.
2dkh305.jpg

NHL.com should have gone with a pun: Now Jussi Jokinen, now you don't.
So graceful.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
As exciting that was, for health purposes I hope I never experience watching a 10 or more round shootout ever again. Still can't believe guys like Bergenheim, Olsen and Mackenzie were able to score in a pressure situation like that.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Wow, just watched this whole thing.

That move by Bjugstad sent Holtby's jock strap into low earth orbit. Holy cow what a finish, I even flinched watching it.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
My God this was intense. The game was meaningless and Florida is irrelevant to me anymore, but I could barely take the tension. I had no idea while watching it, that it had broken the record. I kept waiting to get in the shower, I figured the third round would be it...then it kept going...and going.

Every time we'd score, Florida would answer. Holtby looked solid until the pressure was on him.

And for those of you still *****ing about the shootout, give it a god damn rest. Regardless of what they replace it with, you'll still *****. Just to *****. Stop *****ing.

Personally, I enjoy it.

Look at the standings dude. Youll notice the irrelevant panthers in a playoff spot with the Caps on the outside looking in.

Anyway last night was epic. Both goalies deserve alot of credit that is physically and emotionally draining.
as luongo (who right now should b the starting allstar goalie) said on twitter "i blacked out what just happened?"

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why did the league decide to not clean the ice after the overtime? Is it to see these marathon shootouts? Because I have to say with how bad the ice was it took a little bit away from this shootout.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Why did the league decide to not clean the ice after the overtime? Is it to see these marathon shootouts? Because I have to say with how bad the ice was it took a little bit away from this shootout.

Because the GM in Nashville (with some others) said it killed the flow of the game and fans would leave while it was getting the dry scrape.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Loved it. Hope they don't get rid of shootouts. They are so much fun. I know people say they are gimmicky, but I find the whole playing with one less player on OT gimmicky.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because the GM in Nashville (with some others) said it killed the flow of the game and fans would leave while it was getting the dry scrape.

Fans leave before the shootout? Must be horrible fans. :shakehead

I don't like the shootout because I don't think games should be decided by a skills competition, but I at least found it fun to watch. Now it's not fun to watch. Also now luck plays a bigger role in the winner who will get an extra point. Pathetic by the league as always. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad