Proposal: FLA-TOR July 2nd

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
nah. no interest in helping florida have the most dominant top line in hockey (Huberdeau-Barkov-Marner)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Another terrible Leafs proposal. Marner has little value with that terrible contract.

View attachment 335995
It's amazing the authority with which you state nonsense. Considering CBJ was willing to pay him and throw in draft picks to get him I'd say your position is doubtful. Even though he is slightly overpaid it's not as if 90+ point players are common. A 93 point player getting a mil or two too much is not like a 3rd liner getting a mil too much. Your no value theory is pretty awful.

Horrible thread.
Obviously Florida cannot part with their #1 D.
Obviously some wingers are worth some #1 D depending on where they rate.
Obviously Marner is the better player and in a vacuum is probably worth Ekblad+, just not in this situation.
Obviously people are trying too hard to make Marner seem worthless.

Last edited:

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Agreed. Marner isn't going anywhere very few players get marner straight up.
Probably more than you think. Jones, Werenski, Dubois, either Tkachuk, Crosby, McDavid, Pasternak, Doughty, Laine, Petterson, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov , Kuznetsov, Panarin, Barzal, P.Kane, Draisatl, Chabot, Josi, Schieffle, Tarasenko, Aho, Svechnikov, Couturier, Provorov, Ekmon-Larsen, Hall
That is 32 that if offered for Marner straight up, the Leafs would look at. Marner is paid like a Top 5 guy. Does not mean he is a Top 5 guy.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Ekblad, Tippett for Marner
I will at least give credit
1) Marner is the player that should be moved for d help. Kapanen plus is not getting a top pair d-man and at 3m you should do everything in your power to keep.
2) Asking for multiple players back and not some backdoor well get 4 1's because who cares if cap goes down everyone has 10.5 m cap space and Leafs sign Alex P.

Its on the heavy ask side for Toronto and I say no go for Florida. But its far far far from worst marner proposal I have seen.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Are people that soft on Marner? man you guys are gonna look silly in a cpl seasons,
He is easily a top 10 maybe even top 5 offensive talent in the NHL. I fully expect him to be in the top 10 in scoring next season.
The guy got 67 points in 59 games after an ankle sprain ffs, Eichel managed just 57 in 61 games played after suffering a similar injury.
Marner's aguy definitely wanna pay 11M and see him suck.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Probably more than you think. Jones, Werenski, Dubois, either Tkachuk, Crosby, McDavid, Pasternak, Doughty, Laine, Petterson, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov , Kuznetsov, Panarin, Barzal, P.Kane, Draisatl, Chabot, Josi, Schieffle, Tarasenko, Aho, Svechnikov, Couturier, Provorov, Ekmon-Larsen, Hall
That is 32 that if offered for Marner straight up, the Leafs would look at. Marner is paid like a Top 5 guy. Does not mean he is a Top 5 guy.
Wrong.... on your list.. mcdavid leon MacKinnon all yes... Crosby is better nut game gap too much.. Jones lol.. we been through this..leafs are not trading a 90 point 22 year old for jones who didnt crack TSN top 50. Chabot NO. Kane see crosby. OEL lol NO. Laine no. Pasternak maybe. Doughty is interesting. Hedman is yes. Rest are out to lunch .... as I said very few ...

Reactions: Hockeyguy42

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Wrong.... on your list.. mcdavid leon MacKinnon all yes... Crosby is better nut game gap too much.. Jones lol.. we been through this..leafs are not trading a 90 point 22 year old for jones who didnt crack TSN top 50. Chabot NO. Kane see crosby. OEL lol NO. Laine no. Pasternak maybe. Doughty is interesting. Hedman is yes. Rest are out to lunch .... as I said very few ...
No to Kucherov, Point,Rantenan , Barzel!! Don't really follow the game do you. You must have a Marner jersey

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1) Coutorier at 4.33 > greater value than marner at 10.5m. The extra 6m allows flyers to get Hayes in free agency. No brainer Couts and Hayes over Marner.
2) Provorov at 6.75m v 10.5m marner I'll keep Provy as well. I'll take a 23 year old no 1 d man over no 1 w all day every day. The 3.75m extra cap space is gravy on top.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
wouldn’t they just do something like

Nylander for ekblad

and do some weird cap shenanigans so they would get ekblad June 30 and trade nylander July 1 so they pay all bonuses

I think the actual cash is the problem for Florida if the rumors are true. They made a budget with playoff revenue and are now coming up short. Nylander and Ekblad will make the same next year so that's the problem. Even AJ might be too rich and they need a player like Makeyev instead. As I said it is a starting point conversation. Actual players in the end and picks will vary according to both Cap and actual salary cap fit.
This goes for any team. They will get Ekblad cheaper than they should if Florida has to trade him to free up salary but its not AJ,Bracco and a 2nd kinda cheap.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
nah. no interest in helping florida have the most dominant top line in hockey (Huberdeau-Barkov-Marner)

Huh?

The difference in goals for between Toronto and Florida right now is seven goals with the Maple Leafs playing one more game. Florida doesn't need "help" scoring goals.

Adding a young top pairing defenseman helps Toronto a lot more than Florida adding an offensive winger.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Only the clueless ones. the smart ones keep Marner

Not that I support trading Marner but that post is simplistic to say the least. You may not agree but it is perfectly valid to think his money might serve us better on the blueline. If Marner became a Petro type D we might very well be a better team that goes deeper. We might not, but it's a valid opinion.

What you are really saying is "I am smart, I love Marner, you must love him beyond all reason to or you aren't as smart as me."

The problem is you can substitute the word smart with foolish and it works even better....

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No to Kucherov, Point,Rantenan , Barzel!! Don't really follow the game do you. You must have a Marner jersey
No marner Jersey just common sense. If kucherov was younger....point no...brazel no...rantanen maybe .....90 point plus singed winger who is 22 ...not that difficult pal

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No marner Jersey just common sense. If kucherov was younger....point no...brazel no...rantanen maybe .....90 point plus singed winger who is 22 ...not that difficult pal
Brazel no. Now Barzel....
And I'll take Kucherov all day.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You'd trade Marner for Doughty but not Jones or Chabot HAHA. Both are better players at this point and are way younger on better contracts.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You'd trade Marner for Doughty but not Jones or Chabot HAHA. Both are better players at this point and are way younger on better contracts.
I wouldn't trade marner for any of the above. D men I would trade straight up for ...hedman...Giordano...makar.. there may be a few more but these one would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->