Confirmed Trade: [FLA/SJS]Mike Hoffman. 7th ('18) for 2nd ('19), 4th ('18) & 5th ('18)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think it was in the works between Florida and San Jose for awhile. Wilson and Tallon are good buddies. Tallon even said Wilson called him last night about it.

Right, but then shouldn't Ottawa be pissed at Wilson for trading Hoffman to a team they obviously didn't want him going to?

I mean doesn't everyone think that if SJ was just going to turn around and deal Hoffman to Florida that Ottawa never would have traded him to SJ in the first place?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Couple years down the road, when the 2nd and 4th and two 5ths got traded for bs players or draftees that turned into nothing. This board and everybody will still overvalue the draft picks.

A lot of ppl also seem to forget that Boedker was a 1st round pick, 8th overall in 2008 and Hoffman was a 5th in 2009. Ottawa got lucky with Hoffman, now they trade him away. They did not get fleeced.

Ottawa didn't get "fleeced" because this Hoffman/Karlsson situation reduced his value. It has ZERO do to with where he was drafted.

I mean if the Stars traded Jamie Benn for a 2nd and 3rd round pick would that be good value because he was drafted in the 5th round?

I mean really...

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
No he made the most of a terrible situation. It's the wives who've made a mess of this

But there was that tweet by O'Sullivan saying how nobody liked Hoffman? So that can't just mean the wives, it was the whole locker room.

They should've dealt Hoffman years ago if that's the case.

Unless of course O'Sullivan is talking out of his ass.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
Tallon just laughs off the cyberbullying accusation. Ho ho ho wives will be wives

What should he have said? He knows just as much of the situation as we do. It's not his place to make accusations or give his opinion on the actual matter.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
But there was that tweet by O'Sullivan saying how nobody liked Hoffman? So that can't just mean the wives, it was the whole locker room.

They should've dealt Hoffman years ago if that's the case.

Unless of course O'Sullivan is talking out of his ass.
O'Sullivan never talks out of his mouth. The guy just loves to say controversial $*#&. It might be true, but I wouldn't believe it just because POS said it.

Reactions: Kellyr

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Right, but then shouldn't Ottawa be pissed at Wilson for trading Hoffman to a team they obviously didn't want him going to?

I mean doesn't everyone think that if SJ was just going to turn around and deal Hoffman to Florida that Ottawa never would have traded him to SJ in the first place?

It's possible. It is also possible that Ottawa wanted a roster player (Boedker) especially one who salary cap is higher than his actual salary. It is also possible Flordia only wanted to deal picks. So San Jose was the middle man.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's possible. It is also possible that Ottawa wanted a roster player (Boedker) especially one who salary cap is higher than his actual salary. It is also possible Flordia only wanted to deal picks. So San Jose was the middle man.

They did the currency exchange on the deal and charged a massive fee that was mostly paid by the Senators.

Ottawa didn’t know they would move Hoffman to Florida. There was a mandate from ownership not to trade him in the division.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
this trade makes other fans wish

1. their gm was as proactive as doug wilson
2. their boedker esque player is valued by Ottawa

first should be a given, second is a low bar but depends on Ottawa's pro scouts.

As a canucks fan with Jim Benning a 2nd 4th 5th 5th might as well be a miracle like winning the goddamn lottery. We are a rebuilding team that LOSES these picks every year. Benning then attempts to recoup them back at the deadline/draft day and it's crickets

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

OTT and FLA had allegedly talked on Hoffman but the price was too high for FLA. The notion that OTT didn't want Hoffman to go to FLA or wouldn't have dealt with FLA is likely false.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
I was talking about combined value.

Boedker scored at a higher rate 5v5 than Hoffman last season, and plays C. An NHL C is likely worth a 2nd round pick.
Boedker plays the wings. Never seen him at C for the Yotes or Sharks. Hoffman is actually listed as a LW, C though.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Dorian really ****ed this up.

Umm do you understand that Hoffman’s value tanked due to the fiancé incident with Karlssons wife?

Shiiit the sharks turned around and were only able to get a second and some later round picks for a top 6 guy.

Unless the GM knew about this at the deadline, it is not his fault that they didn’t get max value with Hoffman. Might be time to just blow that team up and start the rebuild. Can’t see EK wanting to stay even after MH was moved.

Reactions: HabsQC

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Idk what would make you think that. Dorion likely knew Wilson was not keeping Hoffman - GMs talk just like business folk do, they dont lie and keep secrets during deals because its extremely bad faith and would likely cause an ousting among GMs.

If Wilson did a dick move he may pay heavily for it - but I gander Dorion wanted a roster player (Boedker) and knew about the Florida trade

Well, I admit it was a bit of a logic leap :laugh:, but one of the stories in the media surrounding the trade was the reason for Ottawa not getting the return from Florida - that being Dorion not wanting to trade within the division.

Following that line of logic, I doubt he would have approved of Wilson trading Hoffman right back into the Atlantic.

Maybe he's not angry, but at the very least it seems like it backfired on him immediately. I could see that raising his caution level when dealing with Wilson in the future.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Well, I admit it was a bit of a logic leap :laugh:, but one of the stories in the media surrounding the trade was the reason for Ottawa not getting the return from Florida - that being Dorion not wanting to trade within the division.

Following that line of logic, I doubt he would have approved of Wilson trading Hoffman right back into the Atlantic.

Maybe he's not angry, but at the very least it seems like it backfired on him immediately. I could see that raising his caution level when dealing with Wilson in the future.
I think Dorion did it because:

a) wanted a roster player signed to term that Florida wasnt willing to part with (cap floor reasons) and
b) Florida didnt want to pay extra for an in division trade and so it was essentially a three way trade without it being in a single transaction.

I have a good feeling Dorion knew Wilson was goi to flip him - I get the feeling GMs arent shifty like that, but what do I know

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Ottawa didn't get "fleeced" because this Hoffman/Karlsson situation reduced his value. It has ZERO do to with where he was drafted.

I mean if the Stars traded Jamie Benn for a 2nd and 3rd round pick would that be good value because he was drafted in the 5th round?

I mean really...
Or that's like saying the Oilers didn't get fleeced by New Jersey since Hall was a 1OA pick and Larsson was a 4OA pick LOL

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
LOL at kids who think DW didn’t already have a deal in place with Tallon. You’re really that naive?
This is the Jones deal all over again

OTT wouldn't trade Hoffman to FLA due to inter-division + wanted him as far as possible from OTT. Deal him to West Coast.
SJ knew FLA was hot and heavy for Hoffman...flipped him for a better return.

LAK didn't want Jones in SJ...dealt him across the country to BOS...who traded him to SJ for a solid return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad