Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Everyone else is pointing out they did play well together and then it fizzled out and their PO success was never duplicated. And it’s not like it wasn’t given chances.

And you said you dont know a single fan who would rather of just signed bonino in hindsight knowing now what we didnt know then.

I’m saying i would have just signed Bonino in hindsight if i knew 2 years later i would have traded Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and two 4ths to end up at with Bjugstad at the same cap number.

You on the other hand are in the camp of you would go the latter route of ending at Bjugstad.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Thanks for the education, I watched him that season. Was before he was injured and we had several injuries so he played as the top center for a good chunk of the season.

Again, I’ve watched him for his entire pro career.

Not trying to educate you. Just saying his best season was at Center. Bjugstad can play either position and it will just come down to who he fits in with best on the Pens. I liked his play as a Center so far with us. His line generated a lot of scoring chances in his first two games. I think every Pens fan O have talked to so far has really liked his play so far. Will see how the team looks once Malkin comes back which most think is next game. Will know a little more what spots Sullivan wants to put Bjugstad and McCann when the team is at full strength. One thing Sullivan said he liked about both players is the versatility to be able to play wing or Center. That gives a lot of options.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the pens now have 78.8 commited next year and need to fill up to 7 roster spots.
with top heavy talent (and salary) like that you just cant pay 3rd liners/bottom pair dmen
like pearson,bjugstad and johnson 11 mil+

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Lol Pens fan here saying I’d take Bonino everyday of the week. Such a smart player and PKer. He was a solid defensive player. Not enough credit for him.

Unfortunately the success of that one playoff run gave him a case of the Staal where he wanted to be a 2nd line player after that and he was only getting that in Pittsburgh when Sid or Geno were hurt.

Reactions: Riptide

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Not trying to educate you. Just saying his best season was at Center. Bjugstad can play either position and it will just come down to who he fits in with best on the Pens. I liked his play as a Center so far with us. His line generated a lot of scoring chances in his first two games. I think every Pens fan O have talked to so far has really liked his play so far. Will see how the team looks once Malkin comes back which most think is next game. Will know a little more what spots Sullivan wants to put Bjugstad and McCann when the team is at full strength. One thing Sullivan said he liked about both players is the versatility to be able to play wing or Center. That gives a lot of options.

It sounds like you’ve been watching Bjugstad for 7 years.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Exactly my point, hagelin Bonino Kessel. So bonino and Kessel DID work well together at one point.
Everyone else are the ones saying they didnt work well together.

I don’t know of one person that said that. We all said they worked well together for a small window. Next season they started as a line and they didn’t work. What is hard to understand about that? The line was separated and not used most of the next season because they couldn’t perform well together. For someone who claims to be a fan I can’t believe you need this explained to you. Did you watch the next season after the first Cup? How do you not know they got separated? So you arguing that Bonino should of been kept to be Kessel’s linemate for the 3rd line is ridiculous.:help:

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I don’t know of one person that said that. We all said they worked well together for a small window. Next season they started as a line and they didn’t work. What is hard to understand about that? The line was separated and not used most of the next season because they couldn’t perform well together. For someone who claims to be a fan I can’t believe you need this explained to you. Did you watch the next season after the first Cup? How do you not know they got separated? So you arguing that Bonino should of been kept to be Kessel’s linemate for the 3rd line is ridiculous.:help:

Ok so my Initial point is/was before all this.

In hindsight would you rather resign Bonino at 4.1 cap hit or trade Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and two 4ths to end up with Bjugstad at 4.1 cap hit as you’re third line center?

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Ok so my Initial point is/was before all this.

In hindsight would you rather resign Bonino at 4.1 cap hit or trade Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and two 4ths to end up with Bjugstad at 4.1 cap hit as you’re third line center?

The answer is yet to be determined. I will let you know in June. I for one did not want to sign Bonino for that amount. I wanted a more offensive option that could gel with Kessel and form 3 1st lines like the first Cup. Bonino wasn’t working out with Kessel that second year so I wanted an upgrade and so did Rutherford. He thought he had it in Brassard and so did most of us when the deal was made. It did not work out but hopefully Bjugstad does. I could care less of the assets. Monday morning quarterbacking is not worth addressing. I will say this though if I knew what I know now then I wouldn’t of used those assets on Brassard and would of traded them for someone else instead before signing Bonino who I already knew wasn’t working with Kessel.

So the answer to your first hypothetical post is neither option. Does that clear it up. I think Rutherford would say the same thing. So yes I would rather have Bjugstad than Bonino because I already know one doesn’t work with Kessel and maybe the other one will. I liked Bonino but I want that HBK scoring punch again and don’t think Bonino could bring that back. They had a whole season to make it work again so why would I want to sign up for it for 4 more years to see if it could work again?

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
The answer is yet to be determined. I will let you know in June. I for one did not want to sign Bonino for that amount. I wanted a more offensive option that could gel with Kessel and form 3 1st lines like the first Cup. Bonino wasn’t working out with Kessel that second year so I wanted an upgrade and so did Rutherford. He thought he had it in Brassard and so did most of us when the deal was made. It did not work out but hopefully Bjugstad does. I could care less of the assets. Monday morning quarterbacking is not worth addressing. I will say this though if I knew what I know now then I wouldn’t of used those assets on Brassard and would of traded them for someone else instead before signing Bonino who I already knew wasn’t working with Kessel.

So the answer to your first hypothetical post is neither option. Does that clear it up. I think Rutherford would say the same thing. So yes I would rather have Bjugstad than Bonino because I already know one doesn’t work with Kessel and maybe the other one will. I liked Bonino but I want that HBK scoring punch again and don’t think Bonino could bring that back. They had a whole season to make it work again so why would I want to sign up for it for 4 more years to see if it could work again?

Ok.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011

Here’s my problem with this line of thinking though, you say bonino doesn’t work with kessel , yet it did for a while. Who’s to say hagelin lack of production isnt what killed that line not bonino? Maybe the answer was another winger . Also you’d rather have Bjugstad playing with kessel based on what? At least bonino did it? Why so high on Bjugstad?
And yes if I knew then that 2 years later we would still be chasing that 3rd line center i would have just resigned bonino and used those assests to sure up other areas.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
the pens now have 78.8 commited next year and need to fill up to 7 roster spots.
with top heavy talent (and salary) like that you just cant pay 3rd liners/bottom pair dmen

7 roster spots?

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Pearson - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
X - McCann - X

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
X - Johnson

Murray
Desmith

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

You do realize every player is under team control next season and all the high priced best players are already signed? 12 forwards and top 7 defenseman and both goalies under team control next season. Pens are probably in the best shape going into next season than any team in the league. The only player at this time in the starting lineup that is a UFA is Cullen and Pens fans are already discussing today who sits between Blueger, Simon, and Aston-Reese when Malkin and Aston-Reese are back from injury. So Pens could go into next season without signing any UFA’s next season.

Pens RFA’s are Blueger, Aston-Reese Pettersson, and Riikola. So that is only 4 RFA’s and none are going to cost very much.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-McCann-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson, Riikola, and Johnson in some order for 5th-7th defenseman.

Murray
DeSmith

How many teams have all players back like that with only 4 low priced RFA’s to sign. Two players fighting to be in our 4th line and two players fighting to get in the bottom pairing. What cap problem are you talking about. Also if Cullen wants back and Pens want him he will play for near minimum but that 4th line above is better than most teams. Cullen would be nice as a player coach because he still is very good and is a great locker room guy.

Next time do your homework before commenting on another teams cap situation.:thumbu:

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Here’s my problem with this line of thinking though, you say bonino doesn’t work with kessel , yet it did for a while. Who’s to say hagelin lack of production isnt what killed that line not bonino? Maybe the answer was another winger . Also you’d rather have Bjugstad playing with kessel based on what? At least bonino did it? Why so high on Bjugstad?
And yes if I knew then that 2 years later we would still be chasing that 3rd line center i would have just resigned bonino and used those assests to sure up other areas.

Here’s My problem with your line of thinking. Pens had a whole year to figure out if Bonino and Kessel could regain that magic from the playoffs from the year before. They gave up with that experiment so why do you think they would go back to it for another year when they already stopped it for the whole next year. So my thinking like Rutherford’s is to find someone that can produce like a top line with Kessel. Obviously Pens had a whole year to find the combination you are suggesting. Time to move on so while I didn’t know what Brassard would of done and I don’t know what Bjugstad will do It is worth a shot to find that person that plays well with Kessel to form that 3rd line. I think it is pretty simple.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
giphy.gif

Good luck, honestly. He's a cap dump.

Oh, right. Also he's a 6'6 guy playing like he's 5'6, made of glass.

Lots of hate for Bjugstad, but I'll double down on his play throughout his career. Often his sound defensive work doesn't show up in the stats sheet.

Sound positioning, active stick, pass interceptions, solid up-ice pressure, offence that was never initiated because of these factors.

None of this is reflected in the score sheet because his play prevented it from happening. In tracked stats he is most always net positive in the giveaway vs. takeaway game.

Bjugstad makes the Penguins better now and at an affordable cap hit for the next several seasons.

The only take back I'll make is my initial comment regarding the Panthers getting taken hard in the trade is I did so without taking into account they could immediately flip Brassard and Sheahan.

If Florida pull this off and get another first and second, it's certainly a great deal from their point.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I like Bjugstads size, it’d be nice if he could use some of that to play down low on that line and maybe crash the net a bit. I know after hearing an interview with one of the Florida reporters they said he isn’t as good on the wing and that kinda hurt his production that last season or so, but it’s Crosby so maybe he will work out on wing. It’s only been two games but i dont recall him looking slow, hopefully he could keep up with Sid and jake.
The thing about Bjugstad is, with his height, he works better in open space in the middle of the ice. Some tall guys are built more compact than others. Like Blake Wheeler, for example, works fine on the wing. Bjugstad is just the type of tall player that needs room in the middle of the ice to maneuver. If you want a chance to get the best out of Bjugstad, he'll have to be in the middle of the ice.
Sometimes when he gets the puck, and takes it through multiple zones up the middle of the ice, he can be breath taking.
Some of these "experts" that needlessly trash him, and know so little about him, and they watch him all the time, it's amazing.
He's not near any of the crap they talk about him. I don't know what they have to gain. But whatever...

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
While Brassard probably had to go, I have a feeling that Bjugstad isn't gonna work in Pitt either. I'd love to be wrong, but judging from his play in Florida, I don't see it.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Any chance Pitsburgh will flip McCann? Been a big fan of his since juniors, and wanted the Leafs to go after him as a 4C.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
His best season was when he was 22 and he had 24 goals and 43 points in 72 games playing Center. He was Panthers leading goal scorer that year and also 3rd in points and second in points per game. I think he can play either equally well as long as he has some good players to play with. So far he is playing with Kessel. If they move him to wing he plays with Crosby or Malkin so any line or either position he will have a top tier player to play with.

You keep going back to a season that was how many years ago? He has done nothing to improve upon that season. Granted, he has dealt with injuries, but even when he was on a line with Barkov and Dadonov/Huberdeau, you can see that he just did not belong there.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You do realize every player is under team control next season and all the high priced best players are already signed? 12 forwards and top 7 defenseman and both goalies under team control next season. Pens are probably in the best shape going into next season than any team in the league. The only player at this time in the starting lineup that is a UFA is Cullen and Pens fans are already discussing today who sits between Blueger, Simon, and Aston-Reese when Malkin and Aston-Reese are back from injury. So Pens could go into next season without signing any UFA’s next season.

Pens RFA’s are Blueger, Aston-Reese Pettersson, and Riikola. So that is only 4 RFA’s and none are going to cost very much.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-McCann-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson, Riikola, and Johnson in some order for 5th-7th defenseman.

Murray
DeSmith

How many teams have all players back like that with only 4 low priced RFA’s to sign. Two players fighting to be in our 4th line and two players fighting to get in the bottom pairing. What cap problem are you talking about. Also if Cullen wants back and Pens want him he will play for near minimum but that 4th line above is better than most teams. Cullen would be nice as a player coach because he still is very good and is a great locker room guy.

Next time do your homework before commenting on another teams cap situation.:thumbu:

We will likely need to move one of Pearson, Maatta, Johnson, Rust, Kessel or Bjugstad in the off-season, but that is ok. We have internal replacements available and it should only take one bring moved to be cap compliant

Reactions: Riptide

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
7 roster spots?

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Pearson - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
X - McCann - X

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
X - Johnson

Murray
Desmith
Those roster spots are called Blueger, Johnson, and Prow, too. Unheralded young guys who’ve learned the pro game in the AHL and are now primed to step in as skilled and defensively reliable great fits to our system. I’m really not concerned, GMJR has a done a great job setting us up for the rest of our window. We can sacrifice some picks to move JMFJ, if necessary, too.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Any chance Pitsburgh will flip McCann? Been a big fan of his since juniors, and wanted the Leafs to go after him as a 4C.

Unlikely, he's put a solid numbers for the Panthers and he's signed cheaply next season. Plus he's 22 so the Pens will want to see what upside he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad